Sign in to follow this  
Pierre_Henri

Has South Africa's Numismatic Heritage been Stolen?

Pierre_Henri

I am currently doing research for a new book on very rare South African coins.

It soon became clear to me that coin collections that was held by governmental museums in the olden days, are now either stolen, or are hidden so far away that no one knows where they are.

I will sponsor a young research student to look into this.

Please contact me.

Pierre  

• Like 1

Cold Sea

I would not doubt it for one minute that museum items have been stolen with or without the knowledge of the curators. If Ace Magshule's bodyguard and driver, who was found guilty of stealing a Pierneef painting out of Magashule's safe, can get access to items like this, anything is possible. Maybe this forum can be a springboard for co-sponsoring your initiative through crowdfunding this research via South African Numismatic Societies, and who knows, maybe these items will be found and returned where they belong.

• Like 1

jwither

Are you referring to coins that are actually really hard to buy, aside from the TPG label?

I have often wondered where most of the scarcest SA coinage listed in Hern is located, since it never comes up for sale publicly.  Previously, we discussed that much of it might be traded between a relatively small circle of private collectors.

If the coins aren't really that rare, my guess is that anything stolen ended up in private collection.  Some could conceivably be owned by (prior) readers of this forum, as there would no way to trace its origin and usually no reason to suspect it was stolen when bought.