Sign in to follow this  
GROOVIE COINS

Possible R10 coin?

GROOVIE COINS

Good day all

I've read an article about the SARB considering releasing a R10 coin.

The idea has been touted from the late 90's already and was covered recently on the Youtube channel SA coin talk where old trials or patterns of where illustrated.

It seems like the SARB is seriously considering it this time around and will be doing surveys to get thoughts from the general populace, specifically those who handle change by trade (i.e. taxi etc.)

It's also been mentioned that 10c and 20c could be axed but nothing has been decided. That being said the design for the new 10cent piece, the cape honey bee (same bees that have it in for penguins) has already been earmarked for 2023.

Initially I thought this was to co-inside with the centenary of the introduction of Union coinage, but the new 10c design will probably be a once off as a fare well.

Remember the new 1 and 2 cent designs for 2002, and 5 cent for 2012, a numismatic send off for these coins. 

Back to the R10. I'm of the opinion it's due. The monetary value of the R10 does not warrant a note as they change hands to often among small change. I never get them from ATMs but always seem to get a half dead flimsy one through change.

Considering R2 from 1989 still circulating, it will be a massive saving on printing for the SARB.

Let's see how far this goes.

regards Robert

Cold Sea

Nooo. Another thick coin like the R5 in your wallet. Hopefully they make them smaller and thinner.

GROOVIE COINS
5 hours ago, Cold Sea said:

Nooo. Another thick coin like the R5 in your wallet. Hopefully they make them smaller and thinner.

Funny thing is I asked a co-worker who his thoughts and he wasn't to keen on the idea either. He mentioned that he'd rather have paper than change jingling in his pocket...

Regards Robert