Sign in to follow this  
geejay50

SANGS Shows the way on SA Forgeries

geejay50

Dear Collectors,

For many years I have been skeptical of the need for a South African Grading Company and its place in what we feel is an international hobby where grading should be left to tried and tested companies like NGC and PCGS.

Of late I have submitted well known Gold ZAR Forgeries as described in Eli Levine's Book "The Coinage and Counterfeits of the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek" (Purnell 1974) to both NGC and PCGS. 

The response from the overseas graders showed up a lack of understanding of our numismatic heritage. They merely called the coins forgeries and would not encapsulate them or give them their Eli Levine "code". 

SANGS at least gave these forgeries their correct assignment and showed us their better understanding of our Numismatic Heritage. I would like to give Glenn Schoeman  and his team a sincere thanks for their tireless effort over the last 6 or so years. As South African Collectors, we must look with unbiased minds at SANGS and its certification. 

In the past, PCGS  was prepared to encapsulate and grade the 1900 Pond Forgery (so called "Perfect Forgery")  as shown in the pic but now it no longer is part of their population report. How can they arbitrarily remove a coin that was once graded from their records? This inconsistency is not good for their standing in the numismatic community.

I also submitted a 1900 Blankpond  with Graffiti to NGC in the hope that they would at least encapsulate it without success (please see pic) . SANGS again did this coin justice it deserves.

I also have an 1893 Silver Rupee from German East Africa that has been counter-stamped "PM" , in my book indicated "Provincia Mozambique". Two submissions to NGC and one to PCGS did not  get this coin encapsulated or recognized as such. When I posted this coin on Facebook in a coin collectors group asking for opinions, a collector posted two coins with the same counterstamp who regarded them as Mozambican. The 1893 Rupee itself is very uncommon with about 4 coins graded between NGC and PCGS. SANGS to their credit recognized the over-stamp  and the gradeability of the coin . It seems there is a lack of knowledge overseas of some African coins. 

Thanks for reading this. 

Geejay50

IMG_7168.jpg

IMG_7147.jpg

IMG_7148.jpg

IMG_7149.jpg

IMG_7150.jpg

IMG_7151.jpg

IMG_7166.jpg

IMG_7167.jpg

IMG_7169.jpg

IMG_7170.jpg