TradeRouteAuctions

MDS Collivery Couriers - via uAfrica - EXORBITANT billing Paid R 524.97 for local flyer

TradeRouteAuctions

We have been using uAfrica shipping since Mid-2020 and new couriers are added regularly.  MDS collivery was added to list of couriers towards the end of Feb-2021

We started using MDS since late part of Feb-21 and regular estimates were around R 62.50 ex. VAT and sent over 100 parcels with that estimates for the next 6 to 8 weeks.

In early Apr-21 we noticed unusual EXORBITANT shipping charges were deducted from our account balances against the estimate of R 62.50 of which actual charges were 3 to 4 times of original estimates (around R 200 to 300) and when we started analyzing all were pointing only to shipments sent via MDS, All other couriers were close to what was shown in estimates. We have lost close to ZAR 15,000-00 (calculated 100 plus packages shipped x R 150 average excess billing) in less than 2 months of using MDS.

Out of all the waybills which were expensive there was one local flyer which only weighed 0.2kg was shipped from us from JHB South to Pretoria (Mabopane) and I received the actual rate of R 524.97 incl of VAT and we were shocked and sent emails immediately complaining to uAfrica and MDS customer Care and I was given the below split by uAfrica which includes 2 x surcharges and the minimum charge  which equates to 8x to 9x  of the estimates they show. 

Minimum Rate = R129.20 (excl Vat)
Location Surcharge = R258.48 (excl Vat) Mabopane
Regional Surcharge = R68.82 (excl Vat) JHB South
+ VAT = R68.47
=Total: R524.97

If the estimates shown were close to accurate (or) even just R 150 we would not have sent a single parcel via MDS. We charge R 120 from our customers for local JHB/PTA and of the R 120 we still pay commissions on shipping and packaging charges (cardboard box, bubble-wrap) which will bring shipping amount available to pay couriers below R 95.

Is this charges justified ? MDS is a RIP OFF I have sent parcels to USA and many other countries via DHL International Express below R 500 on many occasions with discounted rates.

We are still waiting for a response over weeks from MDS customer care and I must say Bad customer service as well.  A week ago we stopped using  MDS Collivery as no resolution was reached as to why Minimum charges aren't even close to estimates, leave alone the surcharges.

This post is done as an awareness for fellow sellers and could you please check if you are billed correctly before its too late.

Screenshot_2021-04-07 Order #12974(1).png

unnamed.png

All Music

How does something that weighs 0.3 kg suddenly get to weigh 1.9kg?

Have you also copied bob in on this issue? I would certainly do so.

TradeRouteAuctions

BoB is aware of the issue and I have notified at the same time I notified uAfrica & MDS.  Actually weight is not a major issue in this bill, as you can see on the second image I did an estimate with MDS for 5Kg parcel which also shows R 62.50. 

Main issue is the wrong estimates which motivates you to use their service. Also there is no cap, because there is no maximum charge set for local parcels they can bill as much as they want. 

bellemodel

Years ago I considered using MDS. Over the years I became glad I did not choose them.

• Like 1