Jump to content
TaLamia

What is uAfrica?

Recommended Posts

TaLamia

I'm so confused... I have not sold anything on here for a long while but plan to soon, and am confused by this uAfrica thing that shows up when I go to shipping charges. What is it? Will signing up allow me to have my parcels collected from my address directly? I don't understand... Is there a tutorial page somewhere explaining what it does for me as a seller? The uAfrica website doesn't explain anything...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TaLamia

Thanks Admin, that helped a bit :)

Are there any other sellers who use this that can share their experiences? How do you choose which courier you use? Are the estimates actually accurate to what you are eventually charged?

I’m not sure if I should use this or just stick with Post Office ordinary mail and Postnet to Postnet (post office is obviously a very off-putting option).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TradeRouteAuctions

We are using uAfrica for over 3 months, the system helps to find the courier which is cheapest and if the shipping dimensions and weight are accurate there wont be much of a difference in price.

The best part I would say is the constant email updates sent by system directly to customer once a shipping is booked, collected, in transit and delivered.

Usually an estimate amount is charged and it will be reversed and actual amount will be charged. Still the charges are cheaper if you have accounts directly with courier companies.

 

Post Office we stopped using more than an year and we can now sleep peacefully.

 

Postnet is one thing which is still not covered by uAfrica.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TaLamia
On 3/15/2021 at 7:32 PM, TradeRouteAuctions said:

Still the charges are cheaper if you have accounts directly with courier companies.

Do you mean it’s cheaper to have accounts directly with them and not via uAfrica?

If that’s the case, can one feasibly have an account with one of the couriers if I am only sending something like 10-20 packages a month, and even then only sporadically?

Or do you mean I need to have accounts with the couriers first before I can use the uAfrica tool?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TradeRouteAuctions

a typo in my response

 

uAfrica is cheaper because they get combined order discount on huge volumes. I have accounts directly with courier companies but uAfrica is cheaper comparatively. Whether you ship 1 or 100 you get the benefit and the amount gets deducted from your bidorbuy balance so do not have maintain account with courier companies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
All Music

Yes it is a few rands cheaper per parcel compared to having an account. What I particularly like is you can send to regional areas without having a surcharge added, although it's not overnight and takes 3 to 4 working days.

I did find I had to fiddle around a bit the first couple of times I used it, it's different to my account with Courier Guy, but you get used to it. The other thing is that with my own account I could arrange a time for them to pick up, which most times they are able to stick to. With uAfrica I try to arrange a time but am often kept waiting, sometimes they only come after 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TaLamia

Hmmm waiting around for them all day for collection is not really a viable option for me.

I've only recently discovered Aramex store-to-door and after sending out 10 packages I must say I am truly impressed. Picked up by 15h00 on a weekday, they really have delivered overnight before 17h00 the very next day for main regions. There may be cheaper courier options but I prefer being in control of when a package goes out and not having to waste half a day waiting for collection.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bellemodel
On 3/23/2021 at 7:50 PM, TaLamia said:

> waiting around for them all day for collection is not really a viable option for me.

Agree. I stopped using door to door couriers and only use PostNet and Paxi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bellemodel
On 3/15/2021 at 7:32 PM, TradeRouteAuctions said:

We are using uAfrica for over 3 months, the system helps to find the courier which is cheapest and if the shipping dimensions and weight are accurate there wont be much of a difference in price.

The best part I would say is the constant email updates sent by system directly to customer once a shipping is booked, collected, in transit and delivered.

Usually an estimate amount is charged and it will be reversed and actual amount will be charged. Still the charges are cheaper if you have accounts directly with courier companies.

 

Post Office we stopped using more than an year and we can now sleep peacefully.

 

Postnet is one thing which is still not covered by uAfrica.

> Once the shipment is completed the initial estimated cost is reversed and the actual cost of the shipment is applied to your uAfrica account.
> The courier may also add additional surcharges e.g. if a shipment is made to an embassy or farm.

I like to know what I am going to pay before I place an order.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TradeRouteAuctions
On 3/27/2021 at 9:29 AM, bellemodel said:

> Once the shipment is completed the initial estimated cost is reversed and the actual cost of the shipment is applied to your uAfrica account.
> The courier may also add additional surcharges e.g. if a shipment is made to an embassy or farm.

I like to know what I am going to pay before I place an order.
 

95% of the times the charges are accurate

Only when we do not give the proper dimensions and weight the price changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
All Music
On 3/27/2021 at 9:29 AM, bellemodel said:

The courier may also add additional surcharges e.g. if a shipment is made to an embassy or farm.

I've always wondered why couriers add a surcharge to embassies. To farms yes I can understand because of the distances involved but most embassies are buildings or residences right next door to places that couriers would deliver to for the normal rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TradeRouteAuctions
20 hours ago, All Music said:

I've always wondered why couriers add a surcharge to embassies. To farms yes I can understand because of the distances involved but most embassies are buildings or residences right next door to places that couriers would deliver to for the normal rate.

Probably there is a waiting time ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TradeRouteAuctions
On 3/21/2021 at 7:28 PM, TaLamia said:

Oh thank you @TradeRouteAuctions that's encouraging to hear :)

Further to my previous responses please see below post as well

 

https://forums.bidorbuy.co.za/topic/9804-mds-collivery-couriers-via-uafrica-exorbitant-billing-paid-r-52497-for-local-flyer/?tab=comments#comment-85317

MDS EXORBITANT BILLING

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TaLamia

That is insane @TradeRouteAuctions, so sorry that happened, I really hope they at least try to recompense you, that is ridiculous. I’m happy to stick with Aramex for the time being, I do not have the time to be measuring every parcel dimension and then wait around for collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TradeRouteAuctions
17 minutes ago, TaLamia said:

That is insane @TradeRouteAuctions, so sorry that happened, I really hope they at least try to recompense you, that is ridiculous. I’m happy to stick with Aramex for the time being, I do not have the time to be measuring every parcel dimension and then wait around for collection.

@TaLamia thank you for your message. 

I just remembered your post hence wanted to alert you on what's going on. 

 

Does Aramex have insurance options? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
All Music
48 minutes ago, TradeRouteAuctions said:

Does Aramex have insurance options? 

Not the store to door flyer bags

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just-A-Click

Good  morning,

Uafrica/Bidorbuy/Courier integration a total disaster and failure.

When I started to sell I saw banners on the bidorbuy sellers page for registering with bidorbuy shipping.

At first I thought this is the way to go as the integration and service will be great and bidorbuy could assist if something goes wrong as they recommend the shipping to sellers.

All started smooth with no problems, until 3 weeks ago.

1. When booking a collection on UAFRICA the tracking number does not automatically pull through to the bidorbuy platform where it used to.

2. When dropping parcels off at the courier branch, items are scanned in but does not track on the couriers website although I am sitting with the signed copies of waybills.

3. Damages to parcels are unbelievable with the courier guy and when submitting claims there are always excuses for payouts. (Im sitting with over R35k worth of damages and had to replace each parcel) 

4. I get no assistance from UAFRICA/ THE COURIER GUY nor BIDORBUY!!. 

5. I have asked to have the service level agreement between bidorbuy -UAFRICA AN UAFRICA - Couriers just to find out that no service level agreement is in place.

6. I get billed differently to the estimate as mentioned by trade route auctions.

I have decided as of today I will not make use of the bidorbuy shipping, UAFRICA nor any of the recommended couriers. I have just heard good reviews about fastway and have opened an account with them.

Sellers before making use of the bidorbuy shipping think twice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bellemodel
On 4/17/2021 at 11:16 AM, TradeRouteAuctions said:

@TaLamia thank you for your message. 

I just remembered your post hence wanted to alert you on what's going on. 

 

Does Aramex have insurance options? 

If a courier does not  have insurance options, then they do not have faith in what they are doing, then why would I use them.

P.S. Beware Fastway do not pay out for lost parcels, despite the fact that they say parcels are insured up to R1000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bellemodel
On 5/20/2021 at 11:29 AM, Just-A-Click said:

Uafrica/Bidorbuy/Courier integration a total disaster and failure.

I never used UAFRICA. Couriers are a big headache as it is. To add a 3rd party in the process is just looking for trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...