TaLamia

What is uAfrica?

TaLamia

I'm so confused... I have not sold anything on here for a long while but plan to soon, and am confused by this uAfrica thing that shows up when I go to shipping charges. What is it? Will signing up allow me to have my parcels collected from my address directly? I don't understand... Is there a tutorial page somewhere explaining what it does for me as a seller? The uAfrica website doesn't explain anything...

TaLamia

Thanks Admin, that helped a bit :)

Are there any other sellers who use this that can share their experiences? How do you choose which courier you use? Are the estimates actually accurate to what you are eventually charged?

I’m not sure if I should use this or just stick with Post Office ordinary mail and Postnet to Postnet (post office is obviously a very off-putting option).

TradeRouteAuctions

We are using uAfrica for over 3 months, the system helps to find the courier which is cheapest and if the shipping dimensions and weight are accurate there wont be much of a difference in price.

The best part I would say is the constant email updates sent by system directly to customer once a shipping is booked, collected, in transit and delivered.

Usually an estimate amount is charged and it will be reversed and actual amount will be charged. Still the charges are cheaper if you have accounts directly with courier companies.

Post Office we stopped using more than an year and we can now sleep peacefully.

Postnet is one thing which is still not covered by uAfrica.

TaLamia
On 3/15/2021 at 7:32 PM, TradeRouteAuctions said:

Still the charges are cheaper if you have accounts directly with courier companies.

Do you mean it’s cheaper to have accounts directly with them and not via uAfrica?

If that’s the case, can one feasibly have an account with one of the couriers if I am only sending something like 10-20 packages a month, and even then only sporadically?

Or do you mean I need to have accounts with the couriers first before I can use the uAfrica tool?

TradeRouteAuctions

a typo in my response

uAfrica is cheaper because they get combined order discount on huge volumes. I have accounts directly with courier companies but uAfrica is cheaper comparatively. Whether you ship 1 or 100 you get the benefit and the amount gets deducted from your bidorbuy balance so do not have maintain account with courier companies.

All Music

Yes it is a few rands cheaper per parcel compared to having an account. What I particularly like is you can send to regional areas without having a surcharge added, although it's not overnight and takes 3 to 4 working days.

I did find I had to fiddle around a bit the first couple of times I used it, it's different to my account with Courier Guy, but you get used to it. The other thing is that with my own account I could arrange a time for them to pick up, which most times they are able to stick to. With uAfrica I try to arrange a time but am often kept waiting, sometimes they only come after 4.

TaLamia

Hmmm waiting around for them all day for collection is not really a viable option for me.

I've only recently discovered Aramex store-to-door and after sending out 10 packages I must say I am truly impressed. Picked up by 15h00 on a weekday, they really have delivered overnight before 17h00 the very next day for main regions. There may be cheaper courier options but I prefer being in control of when a package goes out and not having to waste half a day waiting for collection.

• Like 1

bellemodel
On 3/23/2021 at 7:50 PM, TaLamia said:

> waiting around for them all day for collection is not really a viable option for me.

Agree. I stopped using door to door couriers and only use PostNet and Paxi.

bellemodel
On 3/15/2021 at 7:32 PM, TradeRouteAuctions said:

We are using uAfrica for over 3 months, the system helps to find the courier which is cheapest and if the shipping dimensions and weight are accurate there wont be much of a difference in price.

The best part I would say is the constant email updates sent by system directly to customer once a shipping is booked, collected, in transit and delivered.

Usually an estimate amount is charged and it will be reversed and actual amount will be charged. Still the charges are cheaper if you have accounts directly with courier companies.

Post Office we stopped using more than an year and we can now sleep peacefully.

Postnet is one thing which is still not covered by uAfrica.

> Once the shipment is completed the initial estimated cost is reversed and the actual cost of the shipment is applied to your uAfrica account.
> The courier may also add additional surcharges e.g. if a shipment is made to an embassy or farm.

I like to know what I am going to pay before I place an order.

TradeRouteAuctions
On 3/27/2021 at 9:29 AM, bellemodel said:

> Once the shipment is completed the initial estimated cost is reversed and the actual cost of the shipment is applied to your uAfrica account.
> The courier may also add additional surcharges e.g. if a shipment is made to an embassy or farm.

I like to know what I am going to pay before I place an order.

95% of the times the charges are accurate

Only when we do not give the proper dimensions and weight the price changes.

All Music
On 3/27/2021 at 9:29 AM, bellemodel said:

The courier may also add additional surcharges e.g. if a shipment is made to an embassy or farm.

I've always wondered why couriers add a surcharge to embassies. To farms yes I can understand because of the distances involved but most embassies are buildings or residences right next door to places that couriers would deliver to for the normal rate.

TradeRouteAuctions
20 hours ago, All Music said:

I've always wondered why couriers add a surcharge to embassies. To farms yes I can understand because of the distances involved but most embassies are buildings or residences right next door to places that couriers would deliver to for the normal rate.

Probably there is a waiting time ?