Sign in to follow this  
GROOVIE COINS

New R5 2021

GROOVIE COINS

Morning folks

To celebrate 100 years of the South African Reserve Bank (who's days are surely numbered) a new coin is being released. Similar to the 2011 R5 it will also feature Madiba, as you can never have enough Mandela coins... Other features include 1923 wreath tickey, gold R1 with Steynburg springbok, second decimal 20c, and first decimals 1c and 10c designs. 

I must admit the design looks good and I look forward to getting this one! 

Regards Robert

https://businesstech.co.za/news/finance/452874/a-look-at-south-africas-new-r5-coin/

Pierre_Henri
On 11/30/2020 at 8:17 AM, GROOVIE COINS said:

Morning folks

To celebrate 100 years of the South African Reserve Bank (who's days are surely numbered) a new coin is being released. Similar to the 2011 R5 it will also feature Madiba, as you can never have enough Mandela coins... Other features include 1923 wreath tickey, gold R1 with Steynburg springbok, second decimal 20c, and first decimals 1c and 10c designs. 

I must admit the design looks good and I look forward to getting this one! 

Regards Robert

https://businesstech.co.za/news/finance/452874/a-look-at-south-africas-new-r5-coin/

Robert

You say that one (can) "never have enough Mandela coins

The truth is that the whole Mandela numismatic phenomenon has probably done more harm to South African numismatics that anything else in our coin-collecting community than anything else before in a 100 years.

It has left scars and financial ruin for some of the poorest of the poor who thought that a Mandela coin would make fortunes for them; buying, for example, graded Mandela R5 coins a few years ago at R27 000 each that now sells for R10. (yes Ten Rand if one is lucky enough to find a buyer). 

The SA Mint did well with Mandela coins in the beginning but then start flogging a dead horse year by year – that horse is now stinking and past resurrection.

Many of us on this forum, warned readers a decade ago about the Mandela R5 Coin Craze Nonsense that is that dead horse today.

Most old-time collectors (the back-bone of our SA coin collecting community) are avoiding any new Mandela issues like the plague and the word at the moment is "Collect them at you own peril".

However, if you are a coin collector that does not expect any returns on your investments, then surely, its your choice to collect whatever you want. 

I N Collectables

Apart from the continued (and somewhat tiring) use of Mandela on our coinage...I concur with Robert in that the new design does look good.

Perhaps it may even stoke some fresh interest numismatics from the general population who would be intrigued by the coins shown on the coin's reverse that they have perhaps never seen before like the 1923 tickey.

Back to the topic of the now infamous Madiba coinage...I am genuinely surprised that I still get people asking whether or not they should invest in Mandela coinage. It seems that the "crash" was not as well advertised as the "bubble" and up to today there are still people buying these coins for far above their R5 value.

• Like 1

multi collection

The Mandela coin appeared once in 2011, why will it appear again next year ??? It's not a good design to add and repeat Mandela face again to this coin.

Edited by multi collection

multi collection

Believe that soon scam sellers are ready to increase the value of this new coin

Edited by multi collection