Sign in to follow this  
wayjen

Is BoB hosted locally?

wayjen

As the title states, is BoB hosted locally so if we run out of our international gigs we can still do business on BoB with our local gigs.

thank you.

admin

Hi wayjen,

Yes, you can use local only cap on bidorbuy. ;)

wayjen

great thanks a million.

Delicious

Sheeesh i barely know how to get my modem wekking. lol...

voldermort

Can you switch from one to the other?

mellowred
Can you switch from one to the other?

No, but if you are on a SA hosted site you are only using local bytes.

For instance, Facebook would use a lot more than BoB

Admin - correct me if I am wrong here ;).

wayjen

last night at midnight when our new units arrived our router did not switch over (or whatever it does), so whilst we could not get onto any international sites we were able to surf BoB and another forum i am active on.

if you have a telkom adsl account no matter what sites you surf it will always use your international cap first and then your local, so it's nice to know no matter when your cap runs out you can still work on BoB.

wayjen
No, but if you are on a SA hosted site you are only using local bytes.

For instance, Facebook would use a lot more than BoB

Admin - correct me if I am wrong here ;).

i am no fundi at all but i think certain routers or packages allow one to swop between local only cap and international cap.

we sit every month with 30 gig local only cap and each month we return it to telkom cause we never finish our international.

lilythepink

There really is no known way of beating Telkom or Eskom at anything! They win hands down every time! :mad:

wayjen

one good thing to come out of this is like i said, should you use up your international early your business on BoB need not be affected as it will still work however the email accounts will be the problem.

Vinyl Lady Decals

I've just decided to change my ISP to a much cheaper one that charges R23 per Gig and has an unlimited uncapped package for R399.00. if anyone is interested, pm me, as we can't "advertise" on the forum.

I have no personal interest in this company, I just think it's a good deal.:)

mellowred
however the email accounts will be the problem.

Hi Wayjen,

Would that explain why I can't send e-mails late in the month?

I often have this problem. I can receive ok but the sent items bounce back immediately. My e-mail server is local, and I have an outside dish for my internet service provider (wireless? broadband? all I know is that we don't need a Telkom line :D!)

wayjen

it does seem that the price wars have started.

wayjen
Hi Wayjen,

I often have this problem. I can receive ok but the sent items bounce back immediately. My e-mail server is local, and I have an outside dish for my internet service provider (wireless? broadband? all I know is that we don't need a Telkom line :D!)

oooh my friend i am sorry i know nothing about these things and just pick up info as i go along.

lets see if anyone can answer this question and if not i will try find out for you.

give it sometime for people to respond and see where we go.

wayne

wayjen
Hi Wayjen,

just a thought maybe your gigs are up so you are getting emails but cannot send them.

mellowred
There really is no known way of beating Telkom or Eskom at anything! They win hands down every time! :mad:

@ Lily - Telkom can be beaten. Vox phones and wireless internet. If I understand correctly the service providers are still dependent on Telkom :( - but a rival company is up and coming so with a bit of time we can rid ourselves of them completely :D.

Eskom is another story, but my brother-in-law is designing a windmill which can be put up in your garden and can generate enough electricity to run a small household.

@ wayjen - thanks, would like to know what the problem is.

wayjen
@ Lily - Telkom can be beaten. Vox phones and wireless internet. If I understand correctly the service providers are still dependent on Telkom :( - but a rival company is up and coming so with a bit of time we can rid ourselves of them completely :D.

Eskom is another story, but my brother-in-law is designing a windmill which can be put up in your garden and can generate enough electricity to run a small household.

@ wayjen - thanks, would like to know what the problem is.

mellowred are you also unable to get onto other sites around the same time as the email problem?

voldermort
but a rival company is up and coming so with a bit of time we can rid ourselves of them completely :D.

I have heard through the grapevine that they offer 15gigs, line rental, modem, 30 free sms monthly (apparently the homeline can also be used as a cell or something to that effect):confused: & the total cost is R699.00 pm.

lilythepink

voldermort wrote: Telkom can be beaten.

Not until August 2010 for our home! Signed a 2 year contract with them. It costs us R544 per month (including 1300 free minutes anytime on the phone). Of course, when our 1 gig runs out we have to pay R64 for another gig but that doesn't happen too often, thank goodness.

Yes, I'd love the windmill! (Not that we have a very large garden!) :P

shoron

Email accounts should not be a problem unless you are using an international web based email eg. yahoo, gmail etc.

If you are using telkom, mweb etc then you still be able to access your email even though your international bandwith capping is depleted.

Also your banking would not be affected as major SA banks are local.

wayjen
voldermort wrote: Telkom can be beaten.

Not until August 2010 for our home! Signed a 2 year contract with them. It costs us R544 per month (including 1300 free minutes anytime on the phone). Of course, when our 1 gig runs out we have to pay R64 for another gig but that doesn't happen too often, thank goodness.

Yes, I'd love the windmill! (Not that we have a very large garden!) :P

but the Topup is only R15 is it not?

mellowred
mellowred are you also unable to get onto other sites around the same time as the email problem?

Yes. Download time is slower, but I can still get on-line.

@ shoron - I have a local e-mail provider. What I can't understand is I'm able to receive - just not send. Incoming mail is a pop3.co.za outgoing is saix.net. Perhaps that explains it (?)

lilythepink

wayjen wrote: but the Topup is only R15 is it not?

No, we're on DSL and the top-up is R64.00 - and no credit is carried over to the next month. Telkom win all the way! :(

wayjen

oh ok and i wish we could exchange our local gigs for international ones buy ya. when we were on a 3 gig cap we would run out early so all you do is buy a voucher from pick and pay or engen and use that and that carries over until it's up.

lilythepink

wayjen - Telkom let you go onto their website to buy more time with a credit card. But I HATE paying them even one cent more than they deserve. Many is the time that we battle to get onto international websites because of Telkom's servers, etc. They are not the most efficient service providers at the best of times.