JarMam7194

Coin grading process explanation required and advice

JarMam7194

Hi all

Due to the economic situation caused by COVID19, I sadly have to sell a coin left behind by my grandfather.  Apologies for my lack of knowledge regarding the subject, though it seems as if my grandfather didn't keep it preserved either as it was just in a pouch. Is it even worth getting graded?

I phoned a few coin dealers and was told to get the coin graded first otherwise all they can do is pay me for the coins weight in gold. I am unsure on the process to get the coin graded as I hear the process involves shipping the coin overseas first?

Can some kind soul explain the process in which I have to go through in order to get the coin graded, so that I can potentially sell it at a higher a price?

The coin in question which is also attached: 1898 Kruger Pond 

Thanks, much appreciated.

IMG_20201020_115508.jpg

IMG_20201020_115452 (1).jpg

testrarossa

Hi your best bet is to contact SANGS. Google them. I might be wrong but my opinion regarding the photos you provide is your coin might not grade high if at all. I am not a grader just my opinion regarding grading coins. Best of luck. 

CapeCurrencyCoin

Hi

Im afraid its definitely not worth grading, looks cleaned and at the very best you would get an XF details grade (possibly worse) and thats just not good enough for an 1898 Pond.

JarMam7194

Thanks for the responses everyone. That seems to be what SANGS said as well sadly.

Pierre_Henri
On 10/20/2020 at 12:56 PM, JarMam7194 said:

Hi all

Due to the economic situation caused by COVID19, I sadly have to sell a coin left behind by my grandfather.  Apologies for my lack of knowledge regarding the subject, though it seems as if my grandfather didn't keep it preserved either as it was just in a pouch. Is it even worth getting graded?

I phoned a few coin dealers and was told to get the coin graded first otherwise all they can do is pay me for the coins weight in gold. I am unsure on the process to get the coin graded as I hear the process involves shipping the coin overseas first?

Can some kind soul explain the process in which I have to go through in order to get the coin graded, so that I can potentially sell it at a higher a price?

The coin in question which is also attached: 1898 Kruger Pond 

Thanks, much appreciated.

IMG_20201020_115508.jpg

IMG_20201020_115452 (1).jpg

Your coin will probably grade in XF but it would probably not be worth your while I think ...

image.png.f4cb877d63ca94305a0b471ed75b7afe.png