Chippy Crew

Misleading representation

Chippy Crew

I have bought on auction a couple of items and found out that what is being presented is misleading and not stated clearly for the buyer. See the picture of the item below and the red "sticker" that states "Bid for 1 in a pack of 3" Then there is something one cannot read and the next is "FREE SHIPPING" and following that something one cannot read as well. I enlarged the image but cannot read it. When you win the auction you find out at checkout that you will only receive one item - nothing of the "Bid for 1 in a pack of 3". The "non-expanded" shipping note at the bottom of the shipping tariffs explains that on most of BOB's auctions the "Bid for 1 in a pack of 3" is invalid. I have seen several negative remarks from buyers in the ratings of this Seller who are not elated with this misleading and deceptive presentation of items. It seems to be a case of what the big letters say is taken away by the "hidden" small print.

200914195103_BID%20FOR%201%20IN%203.jpgAny Sunscreen With Avocado Oil Has Superior Benefits  Over Regular Sunscreen

image.png.98c4b3d6e605f62c5b769ee8db612c1b.png

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/484513512/Any_Sunscreen_With_Avocado_Oil_Has_Superior_Benefits_Over_Regular_Sunscreen.html

Edited by Chippy Crew

All Music

"SNIPE BIDDERS BE WARNED THAT WE DO NOT DO COMBINED SHIPPING FOR ANY ITEMS WON UNDER THE VALUE OF 5 RAND EVEN IF THOSE ITEMS ARE FROM THE SAME LOT AND AUCTION. FAILURE TO COMPLETE FULL SHIPPING PAYMENT FOR YOUR ITEM(S) WON UNDER 5 RAND WILL RESULT IN SNC BEING FILED."

The above part of their shipping conditions is definitely not acceptable.

Have you tried clicking on the link and enlarging the image? It says:

Add any other (3)? items from us and get
FREE SHIPPING
Cheapest prices online

Chippy Crew

Yes, I have clicked on the image. The image also says "Bid for 1 in a pack of 3"- does that mean that you bid on 1 and if you won the bid you get a pack of 3? -  or do you have to buy two others at set prices (at checkout) to make it a pack of 3?

The image also states that: "Add any other (3)? items from us and get FREE SHIPPING" which is not applicable/muted because the lengthy shipping note states the following:

"5. Our SPECIAL and FREE SHIPPING OFFERS do not apply to bidders of 1 Rand auctions (CRAZY WEDNESDAY OR SNAP FRIDAY) auctions. This means if you are a bidder on CRAZY WEDNESDAY OR SNAP FRIDAY you shall pay full shipping charges for your won items even if they are more than 10 in quantity. In these auctions bidders obtain items by WINNING and NOT BUYING. "

So why does a seller use such an image to attract a buyer's attention on a auction where the lengthy conditions of the shipping - which is hidden or not obviously stated - invalidates that what has been stated by the image. 

If this is acceptable to BOB then I can advertise a real 5 carat diamond for sale but under certain "Shipping note" conditions, be it a 1 Rand auction or CRAZY WEDNESDAY OR SNAP FRIDAY, you will get a hand full of sand.

Please check the item carefully:

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/484513512/Any_Sunscreen_With_Avocado_Oil_Has_Superior_Benefits_Over_Regular_Sunscreen.html

Little Miss Muffet

The 3 items in the image are misleading in the first place.

Never mind the seller,it gives Bidorbuy a bad name too but they do not seem to care

In fact the description "HERE YOU BID FOR 1 SINGLE ITEM IN A SET OF 3. " should be right on top of the listing

Edited by Little Miss Muffet
  • Like 1

TradeRouteAuctions
16 hours ago, Chippy Crew said:

I have bought on auction a couple of items and found out that what is being presented is misleading and not stated clearly for the buyer. See the picture of the item below and the red "sticker" that states "Bid for 1 in a pack of 3" Then there is something one cannot read and the next is "FREE SHIPPING" and following that something one cannot read as well. I enlarged the image but cannot read it. When you win the auction you find out at checkout that you will only receive one item - nothing of the "Bid for 1 in a pack of 3". The "non-expanded" shipping note at the bottom of the shipping tariffs explains that on most of BOB's auctions the "Bid for 1 in a pack of 3" is invalid. I have seen several negative remarks from buyers in the ratings of this Seller who are not elated with this misleading and deceptive presentation of items. It seems to be a case of what the big letters say is taken away by the "hidden" small print.

200914195103_BID%20FOR%201%20IN%203.jpgAny Sunscreen With Avocado Oil Has Superior Benefits  Over Regular Sunscreen

image.png.98c4b3d6e605f62c5b769ee8db612c1b.png

Free shipping should be the same font size as tiny lettering on top.

definitely a misrepresentation.

Chippy Crew

Little Miss Muffet was correct. The description  "Bid for 1 in a pack of 3" was false - you only receive one item because of the hidden Shipping Note that voids what the image says. I have only received one of each item I won in the auction. 

Chippy Crew

I had a chat with one of BOB's representatives and this is the conversation regarding the misleading representation:

13:14 Your Question: Misleading representation of item on auction
13:14 Please wait and one of our operators will be with you shortly.
13:14 Your request is important to us. Please wait and one of our operators will be with you shortly.
13:14 You are now chatting with Reatile Pinto (Customer Services) - Customer Services
13:14 Reatile Pinto: Hi ,how can I help ?
13:16 Esmond Coen: I have won some items on auction but the amount of items was misleading. Is this a concern with BOB or don't you worry about such things?
13:16 Reatile Pinto: What is the auction ID number ?
13:17 Esmond Coen: https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/484513512/Any_Sunscreen_With_Avocado_Oil_Has_Superior_Benefits_Over_Regular_Sunscreen.html
13:17 Esmond Coen: https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/484514539/FASMC_BLACK_PEEL_OFF_MASK_MINERAL_BLACK_MASK.html
13:17 Esmond Coen: https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/484513583/Snail_Cream_The_Anti_Aging_Agent_That_Removes_Wrinkles_And_Repairs_Skin.html
13:18 Esmond Coen: "Bid for 1 in a pack of 3"
13:19 Reatile Pinto: Yes , I can see that was stated across all 3 auctions ..
13:22 Reatile Pinto: Hi , you still there ? '
13:23 Esmond Coen: Yes, I am here
13:23 Esmond Coen: What is your take on that?
13:24 Reatile Pinto: If the seller stated in the advert -your bid is for 1 pack of 3 , there should not be an issue .
13:26 Esmond Coen: There should not be, but in the hidden shipping note that statement becomes void - after the fact, seller refers to that. That is deceptive!
13:27 Reatile Pinto: I do not understand ..
13:33 Reatile Pinto: What about the shipping note ?
13:34 Esmond Coen: Shipping note
1. Please DO NOT alter shipping costs. We only bundle ship items purchased from one auction. 2. Please DO NOT warehouse your purchased items with us. Any item not collected for 2 months shall be relisted. Money collected from such relist shall cover our security and warehouse costs of such item. 3. We are an online business. We strictly DO NOT allow physical collections. For security and insurance reason we also DO NOT allow collection by any third party courier service providers. 4. Goods not paid for in 7 days shall be relisted. 5. Our SPECIAL and FREE SHIPPING OFFERS do not apply to bidders of 1 Rand auctions (CRAZY WEDNESDAY OR SNAP FRIDAY) auctions. This means if you are a bidder on CRAZY WEDNESDAY OR SNAP FRIDAY you shall pay full shipping charges for your won items even if they are more than 10 in quantity. In these auctions bidders obtain items by WINNING and NOT BUYING. 6. 7. (a) All items send through our courier options are insured. (b) We do not charge shipping fees for digital products. (c) SNIPE BIDDERS BE WARNED THAT WE DO NOT DO COMBINED SHIPPING FOR ANY ITEMS WON UNDER THE VALUE OF 5 RAND EVEN IF THOSE ITEMS ARE FROM THE SAME LOT AND AUCTION. FAILURE TO COMPLETE FULL SHIPPING PAYMENT FOR YOUR ITEM(S) WON UNDER 5 RAND WILL RESULT IN SNC BEING FILED.
13:36 Esmond Coen: Point number 5 says that the "Special" is invalid i.e. "Bid for 1 in a pack of 3"
13:37 Reatile Pinto: This means if you are a bidder on CRAZY WEDNESDAY OR SNAP FRIDAY you shall pay full shipping charges for your won items even if they are more than 10 in quantity. In these auctions bidders obtain items by WINNING and NOT BUYING
13:41 Esmond Coen: So, do you say the seller should have sent me 3 items for each 1 item I won on auction?
13:42 Reatile Pinto: How many packs of 3 did you receive ?
13:43 Esmond Coen: I did not receive any packs of 3. I received one item per item I won on the auction.
13:43 Esmond Coen: https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/484513512/Any_Sunscreen_With_Avocado_Oil_Has_Superior_Benefits_Over_Regular_Sunscreen.html
13:44 Esmond Coen: I am Chippy Crew on the auction on the abovementioned auction and I only received 3 items.
13:44 Reatile Pinto: No , apologies , I meant you should receive 1 SINGLE ITEM per auction you won .
13:45 Reatile Pinto: As per the advert : HERE YOU BID FOR 1 SINGLE ITEM IN A SET OF 3. YOU MAY BUY OTHER 2 ITEMS ON PROMPT.
13:45 Esmond Coen: Misleading - isn't it
13:46 Reatile Pinto: I disagree , It explicitly states BID FOR 1 SINGLE ITEM IN A SET OF 3
13:50 Esmond Coen: "Bid for 1 in a pack of 3" BUT you have to buy the other 2 in the pack of 3
13:50 Esmond Coen: Is that how you see it?
13:50 Esmond Coen: Please check the following discussion:

It seem that our take on the representation was wrong!!

Little Miss Muffet

"Bid for 1 in a pack of 3" BUT you have to buy the other 2 in the pack of 3

Not on--- and this seller should be taken up on it.

I sometimes wonder why I care so much about my reputation on Bidorbuy when Bidorbuy do not care about Bidorbuy