TradeRouteAuctions

Open letter to the Minister of Trade and Industry

TradeRouteAuctions

DearEbrahimPatel.co.za

The Minister of Trade and Industry
The Honorable Ebrahim Patel
7th April 2020

Dear Honorable Minister,

Re: Request to allow the domestic transport of all goods with no human contact.

We write as concerned South African businesses operating in the local logistics sector. We are proud of the proactive response the South African government has taken to address the Covid-19 crisis, especially when compared to many other so-called first world countries. We understand we are living in extraordinary times and saving lives can and must be our priority. We however also believe the “cure” cannot be more detrimental to society than the virus itself and a balance needs to be obtained between extreme lockdown measures and protecting human well-being as well as the economy - a deterioration of which can also ultimately lead to the loss of lives.

We understand the most effective tool we have right now to fight the virus is to eliminate human contact as far as possible. We hope in time, ubiquitous testing with contact tracing, effective treatments and ultimately a vaccine are additional tools that will be instrumental in fighting the virus.

Right now the vast majority of South Africans remain free of the virus and are adhering to the regulations imposed by the government by staying at home. Families across the country are attempting to go on with their everyday lives, within the constraints of being home-bound. Those that can, have set up home offices. Many children are likely to be schooled from home and will be requiring school supplies. With the onset of cooler weather, warm clothes and bedding is also needed. Access to non-essential home supplies will assist South Africans to continue with their activities at home for any period of lockdown. Furthermore, the mental well-being of people can be improved by having access to certain non-essential goods such as devices for home entertainment and other items to remain occupied and healthy at home.

The logistics sector supports many micro businesses that would be able to continue to operate through the lockdown without human contact including:

• All forms of eCommerce.
  • Online retailers - tens of thousands of online merchants are able to operate remotely.
  • Offline retailers - physical stores will be able to make use of courier services for home deliveries thereby preventing people from making unnecessary trips and reducing their risk of exposure.

For the most part, these micro businesses are not eligible for UIF or other government programmes available to support small businesses with many of these businesses currently on the brink of collapse.

As an essential service, the logistics industry’s workforce is already deployed - fortunately most drivers own their own delivery vehicles and do not need to make use of public transport to get to work. Unfortunately, with essential goods exclusively permitted to be transported, the costs to support this infrastructure are similar to a fully operational scenario but with income for these drivers significantly lower and currently unsustainable. Extending a lockdown with the current restrictions will ultimately result in job losses for many of these drivers.

The logistics industry has already taken proactive measures to prevent transmission of the virus:

• Drivers are tested daily for any symptoms.
  • Drivers have been supplied with face masks.
  • Hand sanitiser is used before and after every collection / delivery.
  • Parcels are sanitised.
  • All interactions are contactless with sufficient separation between the driver and the sender/recipient.

We would argue that by allowing all goods  - including those deemed to be non-essential - to be transported domestically by professional courier companies, will allow many businesses to continue to operate and provide a valuable service to society while not adding undue risk to the further spread of the virus.

We hereby request that you seriously consider allowing approved courier companies adhering to stringent preventative measures to transport all goods domestically. We can play a vital part in not only preventing the spread of the virus, but ensuring the well-being of South Africans - please allow us to do this.

Yours sincerely,

Concerned Business (Contact Us)

https://dearebrahimpatel.co.za/

• Like 1

TradeRouteAuctions

Now with the lock down extended, I would honestly think online trading can be given bit of relaxation with minimal or no human contact.

I would suggest anyone who feels the same to sign the above.

TradeRouteAuctions
On 4/8/2020 at 11:17 AM, TradeRouteAuctions said:

DearEbrahimPatel.co.za

The Minister of Trade and Industry
The Honorable Ebrahim Patel
7th April 2020

Dear Honorable Minister,

Re: Request to allow the domestic transport of all goods with no human contact.

We write as concerned South African businesses operating in the local logistics sector. We are proud of the proactive response the South African government has taken to address the Covid-19 crisis, especially when compared to many other so-called first world countries. We understand we are living in extraordinary times and saving lives can and must be our priority. We however also believe the “cure” cannot be more detrimental to society than the virus itself and a balance needs to be obtained between extreme lockdown measures and protecting human well-being as well as the economy - a deterioration of which can also ultimately lead to the loss of lives.

We understand the most effective tool we have right now to fight the virus is to eliminate human contact as far as possible. We hope in time, ubiquitous testing with contact tracing, effective treatments and ultimately a vaccine are additional tools that will be instrumental in fighting the virus.

Right now the vast majority of South Africans remain free of the virus and are adhering to the regulations imposed by the government by staying at home. Families across the country are attempting to go on with their everyday lives, within the constraints of being home-bound. Those that can, have set up home offices. Many children are likely to be schooled from home and will be requiring school supplies. With the onset of cooler weather, warm clothes and bedding is also needed. Access to non-essential home supplies will assist South Africans to continue with their activities at home for any period of lockdown. Furthermore, the mental well-being of people can be improved by having access to certain non-essential goods such as devices for home entertainment and other items to remain occupied and healthy at home.

The logistics sector supports many micro businesses that would be able to continue to operate through the lockdown without human contact including:

• All forms of eCommerce.
  • Online retailers - tens of thousands of online merchants are able to operate remotely.
  • Offline retailers - physical stores will be able to make use of courier services for home deliveries thereby preventing people from making unnecessary trips and reducing their risk of exposure.

For the most part, these micro businesses are not eligible for UIF or other government programmes available to support small businesses with many of these businesses currently on the brink of collapse.

As an essential service, the logistics industry’s workforce is already deployed - fortunately most drivers own their own delivery vehicles and do not need to make use of public transport to get to work. Unfortunately, with essential goods exclusively permitted to be transported, the costs to support this infrastructure are similar to a fully operational scenario but with income for these drivers significantly lower and currently unsustainable. Extending a lockdown with the current restrictions will ultimately result in job losses for many of these drivers.

The logistics industry has already taken proactive measures to prevent transmission of the virus:

• Drivers are tested daily for any symptoms.
  • Drivers have been supplied with face masks.
  • Hand sanitiser is used before and after every collection / delivery.
  • Parcels are sanitised.
  • All interactions are contactless with sufficient separation between the driver and the sender/recipient.

We would argue that by allowing all goods  - including those deemed to be non-essential - to be transported domestically by professional courier companies, will allow many businesses to continue to operate and provide a valuable service to society while not adding undue risk to the further spread of the virus.

We hereby request that you seriously consider allowing approved courier companies adhering to stringent preventative measures to transport all goods domestically. We can play a vital part in not only preventing the spread of the virus, but ensuring the well-being of South Africans - please allow us to do this.

Yours sincerely,

Concerned Business (Contact Us)

https://dearebrahimpatel.co.za/

Press Release for the Open Letter to The Minister of Trade and Industry

https://www.uafrica.com/blog/press-release-for-the-open-letter-to-the-minister-of-trade-and-industry

bellemodel

I agree.

TradeRouteAuctions
2 hours ago, bellemodel said:

I agree.

Thank you, however this letter didn't get the attention it needed.

All Music

I've been trying to find out when we will be able to ship our goods again. My understanding is that it is only from Level 3

TradeRouteAuctions

Level 3 or in Level 4 they could relax or do some modifications.

Laptops were added to essential items in Level 5 itself

https://businesstech.co.za/news/business/390705/laptops-are-now-essential-goods-in-south-africa-for-education-here-is-what-else-has-been-added-to-the-list/

TradeRouteAuctions

Information and Communication Technology devices (such as desktops, laptops, modems and other devices) for education purposes;

All Music

So not CDs? I've got a couple of paid for orders to be sent via Postnet.

TradeRouteAuctions

not yet for CDs

Postnet is still closed. Not sure if they will open after 1st May as per previous arrangement.

All Music

10 minutes ago, TradeRouteAuctions said:

not yet for CDs

Postnet is still closed. Not sure if they will open after 1st May as per previous arrangement.

I did mean after the 1st when level 4 kicks in.

TradeRouteAuctions
1 minute ago, All Music said:

I did mean after the 1st when level 4 kicks in.

The Levels are not so straight forward to understand which item qualifies exactly.

image.thumb.png.c2f11d6a4e5459da52ca7e970e09ae0f.png

ATA STAMP CENTRE

Submissions still being made to minister before new regulations gazetted into law.

However these power hungry minions have no grey matter,no business sense or even  a tack of commen sense.

To keep people at home its is so obvious that u make online shopping easy and accessible and allow deliveries of all items.

There are no more risks for a driver to pick up 10 parcels at POSTNET OR COURIER than there is for one parcel.

AND parcels will still be delivered to individual homes etc,not to 10 people gathered together to collect

And how many times have u seen more than 3 or 4 people inside a SAPO OR A POSTNET EVEN?

They can allow thousands of old vulnerable people to congregate for hours outside sapo but cannot allow a few people a day to conduct business...

This was the one area they should have concentrated on to make easier for all and then people would stay home as advised.

neil

ps clients are buying but that was in the hope of receiving after lockdown,i expect lot less sales this month and many payments not being honoured as the logical assumption is why must i pay you until u can dispatch,thats bad news for us sellers and to top that BIB OR BUY OF COURSE WILL TAKE FULL COMMSSIONS ON SALES when purchase is made,but SHOULD THEY NOT PERHAPS ONLY TAKEcommssions WHEN PAYMENTS ARE DONE DURING THE COVID LOCKDOWN?

i have 100 percent sales and paid 100 percent commsions but only receiving 30 percent payments so my commissions on sales deducted almost as much as payments received,hence very little income to rely on ths month....

plus snc filing should be extended to 3 months during this period and not 2 as i have many regulars that perhaps cannot pay yet but i do not wish to file snc yet nd upset them ,but if i dont file within 2 months then we lose more commissions to bob again,,,,

no win im afraid,,,,

• Like 2

TradeRouteAuctions

Well said Neil, Already few of my buyers responded to SNC stating we couldn't supply and SNC was concluded against me.

I had to manually file an appeal to get the commissions paid.

All Music
3 hours ago, ATA STAMP CENTRE said:

However these power hungry minions have no grey matter,no business sense or even  a tack of commen sense.

When I saw this I thought it was meant to read "common", but maybe it's meant to be "conmen"

ATA STAMP CENTRE
16 minutes ago, All Music said:

When I saw this I thought it was meant to read "common", but maybe it's meant to be "conmen"

HA HA,yes cant spell anymore ,my own grey matter dying a slow death,,,

ATA STAMP CENTRE

This government has totally lost the plot...

I see multitudes of court action to contest these irrational regulations,punishing all citizens for a few stupid irresponsible ones is hardly rational,geezuz....

ATA STAMP CENTRE

And the honourable minister must please retire and should have been in bed ages ago....

TradeRouteAuctions
12 hours ago, ATA STAMP CENTRE said:

This government has totally lost the plot...

I see multitudes of court action to contest these irrational regulations,punishing all citizens for a few stupid irresponsible ones is hardly rational,geezuz....

The letter to Minister signed by over 4000 small businesses are blatantly ignored.

TradeRouteAuctions
1 hour ago, All Music said:

https://www.thecourierguy.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Declaration-Form-Covid-19-revised.pdf

Point 3 says wholesale and retail trade is allowed, what exactly does that mean? It can be open to all sorts of interpretations including online selling.

PART E WHOLESALE AND RETAIL TRADE, COVERING STORES, SPAZA SHOPS, ECOMMERCE AND INFORMAL TRADERS
1 - Food products, including non -alcoholic beverages and animal food.
2 - The sale of hot cooked food, only for home delivery.
3 - Toilet Paper, sanitary pads, sanitary tampons, and condoms.
4 - Hand sanitiser, disinfectants, soap, alcohol for industrial use, household cleaning products, and personal protective equipment.
5 - Products for the care of babies and toddlers.
6 - Personal toiletries, including haircare, body, face, hand and foot care products, rollons, deodorants, dental care products.
7 - Medical and Hospital Supplies, medicine, equipment and personal protective equipment.
8 - Fuel and lighting, including coal, wood, paraffin and gas.
9 - Airtime and electricity.
10 - Hardware, components and supplies.
12 - Components for vehicles undergoing emergency repairs
13 - Chemicals, packaging and ancillary products used in the production of any these products listed in Part E.
14 - Textiles required to produce face masks and other personal protective equipment and winter clothing.
15 - Winter clothing, footwear, bedding and heaters and the components and fabrics required to manufacture these.
16 - Children's clothing and fabrics and components required to manufacture these.
17 - Stationery and educational books.
18 - Personal ICT equipment including computers, mobile telephones and other home office equipment.
19 - No sale of liquor permitted.
20 -  Directions may permit the incremental expansion of e-Commerce, taking into account the need to limit the extent of movement on the road, contact between people, law-enforcement challenges and the impact on other businesses.