Sign in to follow this  
Pierre_Henri

The new Brian Hern's 2020 Coin Catalogue

Pierre_Henri

I see that Brian Hern's latest Coin Catalogue (2020) was published recently and are listed on Bidorbuy by various coin dealers.

Through the grape-vine I have heard that there is a MAJOR correction (reducing) of catalogue prices.

This is long awaiting as in his last catalogue of 2017/18,  prices for some coins where (for the most part) ridiculously high.

(About 10 years ago, the same happened when the South African  Colour Stamp Catalogue reduced their prices in their then latest catalogue and many stamp dealers where up in arms).

For some reason, I always take the 1898 ZAR Paul Kruger Penny as an example because I know that they sell in XF for about R120 and in UNC for R320 if so much.

Hern lists them in his previous catalogue at R1000 in XF and R3000 in UNC.

This is actually close to 10 times the value these coin are selling currently. (In unslabbed form)

I will order his new catalogue soon, and will report back on my opinion on his reduced values.

jwither

We've discussed this before; the prices are just "made up" anyway.

Do you buy every edition and if so, is there a reason for it?

I own the 2006 and 2008 but even if I still actively collected this coinage, will never buy another one (or Krause).  It's only good for basic data (such as mintages) which doesn't change much if at all between editions.

Some US collectors buy it, as they collect it (the catalog, not just coins).

Pierre_Henri
On 3/13/2020 at 12:55 AM, jwither said:

We've discussed this before; the prices are just "made up" anyway.

Do you buy every edition and if so, is there a reason for it?

I own the 2006 and 2008 but even if I still actively collected this coinage, will never buy another one (or Krause).  It's only good for basic data (such as mintages) which doesn't change much if at all between editions.

Some US collectors buy it, as they collect it (the catalog, not just coins).

I have been buying the Hern's Coin Catalogue for many years but not for the catalogue prices supplied.

Firstly I support him for the decades of unselfish dedication and hard work regarding South African Numismatics.

Secondly for the "other" information supplied in his catalogue regarding coinage weights & sizes, metal content,  mintage numbers etc.

But mostly for new issues by the SA Mint - I am not a subscriber to the Mint's issues so have no idea what they produce every year.

Hern's catalogue keep me up to date from year to year, so I have no problem buying each new issue (and selling the old one).

(The catalogue prices are for most, irrelevant to me)

Hern is not getting younger and I shudder to think who is going to continue the good man's work for the next decades...