Sign in to follow this  
Timeless Value

Proof vs Proof Like Union coins

Timeless Value

I have come across some interesting points over Proof vs UNC coins but not many on Proof vs Proof Like. What is the difference between these strikes ? There are many Union coins graded Proof Like , were these sold as Proof coins in Short and Long Proof sets by the SA Mint? Or where these a separate strike? Was it intentional? We don't see many proof like coins in the modern era? Please share your experience.

Pierre_Henri

The Proof-like term was "coined" by NGC - it was always referred to as SS (specially selected) coins by South African catalogers in the olden days

The 5-shilling and silver 50c coins were struck as SS coins from 1948 (not 1947) to 1964. In some years "SS" gold Ten Shillings and gold R1s, and gold pounds and gold R2 s up to 1981 were also struck.

In later years, some Mandela R5 coins were also struck as proof-likes

I am not sure what the difference in the striking process is, but  proof coins are made with polished dies struck on polished blanks giving them a mirror like finish. Proof-like coins do not have the same mirror-like look as true proofs, but I do not know how they are struck. Maybe the blanks are polished but not the dies?

Maybe someone knows the technical difference in the striking process?

The proof coins were all boxed coins whilst the proof-like coins were never boxed as far as I know - definitely regarding the 5-shillings and silver 50c pieces .