Sign in to follow this  
GROOVIE COINS

Maria Theresa Thalers restrike vs original

GROOVIE COINS

Good day

I've always had a fascination with Thalers since I first read they were the origins of the word dollar and that these old bullion coins traded unrestricted by borders for so many years, well into the early 20th century. Stories of them still being handed down across generations as jewellery in northern Africa and arabic speaking countries to this day still captures my imagination. I even wear one as a pendant which I use as a conversation piece whenever somebody asks me about my coin collecting hobby.

One thing that has always peaked my curiosity, is that 1780 they were all struck with the same date and most of these bullion coins in circulation are restrikes from the late 1850's. That being said I've always wondered how the original bullion coins looked and my internet searches have always proved fruitless (post paperback generation). Yesterday just by scanning BoB listings I believe I've come across a original Thaler in heavily circulated condition. At first I couldn't put my finger on it, but upon studying the photos at length I see the slight differences. 

I'm I correct in my assumptions that this is an original strike Thaler?

The eagle's tongues reach well outside their beaks, they also have a more prominent kuif (crest of the heads). The shield has a much larger eastern orthodox cross and the papal tiara (pope hat) looks somewhat different.

regards Robert

190614120421_NW0077 (2).jpg

GROOVIE COINS

Compared to a restrike of similar wear:

366193_160120154707_11175_(2).jpg

Pierre_Henri

According to an internet source ...

"Currently there are only three known examples of Maria Theresa Thalers that were actually struck in 1780 at the Guenzburg mint. Here is one of the three. Any one thinking you have an original take a close look at the third photograph. If the tail feather formation on your coin doesn't match the photograph stop dreaming! Also note the spelling of AUST DUX modern (post 1797) Burgau MTT have AVST DUX ( the difference is the "V"). Value: this one sold for €1550.00, the second one seen this year sold for €1200.00 the third is currently listed in a German Auction with an estimate of €1500."

Your Thaler is the one on top and the original one the one below in the following picture

image.png.762f50dbc322c55d9d6aec5a2a95bbb8.png

GROOVIE COINS

Thanks for that clarification Pierre. So the above thaler is a early restrike or early counterfeit. Interesting that only three survived, I wonder why that is? So the original were never widely circulated but the restrikes were...

Regards Robert