Sign in to follow this  
ATA STAMP CENTRE

Coin Forum...

ATA STAMP CENTRE

I notice this forum is going the way of all the other categories on the forum.

A complete lack of interest and this bodes no well for the market,as a vibrant healthy and interesting forum is a sign of strength and interest in the category.

Over the years there have been many interesting posts and posters which made for great insightful reading and gave various views and opinions on a variety of topics.

Having perused some of the posts and comments something stands out and that is the fact that certain posters have been attacked and basically forced off the forum or made to feel that they and their views are unwelcome.

This is serious breach of the forum rules as u should be able to attack the post and not the poster.

If anyone disagrees with certain opinions about topics by any poster then they should be able to refute these observations with facts or debate with opinions of their own and not attack the poster himself.

This has led to this forum over the years being a shadow of itself and its sad that has been allowed to happen and  interesting topics and opinions are now a thing of the past it seems.

Neil

Little Miss Muffet

To me Bob is a thing of the past.We must be grateful Neil,we had the best of years on Bidorbuy when postage was 20.90 and commission was 5 % We just have to embrace change and adjust accordingly.I for one just could not be bothered anymore.

Bidorbuy has grown enormously since we joined and the increase in postage and fees is to Bidorbuy's disadvantage and advantage.They need a call center to handle the mundane and have to pay them. It may cause sellers,selling  a lot of junk to exit and improve Bidorbuy's image,although that may take some time.

We are the older generation and Bob can do without us.So let the younger generation do their thing.

We could certainly contribute a lot to a forum with our experience on Bidorbuy and the knowledge in our fields.

Bidorbuy needs to get tougher on buyers and sellers who default too often.Some sellers just do not care about their buyers.

Edited by Little Miss Muffet

Little Miss Muffet

By the way, I acquired quite a large collection of stamps recently and know very little about stamps.

It is rather a time consuming field to research but interesting.

republikein

The demise of the Coins and Notes forum on Bidorbuy started when the format of the forum was suddenly changed a few years ago by Admin. This was done against requests by forum users. Since then it was all down hill... Today the forum is dead. I suppose the failing economy also contributed. 

jwither

I attribute the decline in the posting activity to the persistently declining price level.  Go look at the posting content.  A low proportion have been about individual coins, a coin series or collecting generally. 

The vast majority were about how much a coin is worth, the future price prospects, buying coins as "investments", the TPG grade...you see the pattern?  What does any of this have to do with collecting?  It's not so lopsided now but that's because this place is about as active as a morgue.

If this forum is and has been reflective of the attitude toward collecting in South Africa, it's evident that the buyers of the more expensive coinage disproportionately have little if any interest in collecting and where they do, it is overwhelmingly outweighed by financial considerations.

The more affluent buyer (notice I didn't just say collector) seemed to dominate this forum and it's evident they had (and still might have) disdain for the coins most collectors in your country actually buy.  If this is accurate, it would be one reason why the typical hobbyist then and now doesn't post on this forum.