Pierre_Henri

Durban Coin Faire Sunday 14 July

Pierre_Henri

5b3dc2b8e9400.jpg

GROOVIE COINS
On 7/13/2019 at 1:23 PM, Pierre_Henri said:

5b3dc2b8e9400.jpg

Hi Pierre

Did you attend, and how was the turn out?

Any chance of such a coin faire ever being held in Cape Town?

regards Robert

Pierre_Henri

Hi Robert.

No I did not attend.

I heard is was a very big success.

The faire was always also held in Cape Town - usually at Kirstenbosch - but not of late for some reason - not sure why.

Regards

Pierre

GROOVIE COINS
3 hours ago, Pierre_Henri said:

Hi Robert.

No I did not attend.

I heard is was a very big success.

The faire was always also held in Cape Town - usually at Kirstenbosch - but not of late for some reason - not sure why.

Regards

Pierre

I remember attending some sort of hobby fair in Goodwood at either a school or church hall some 10 years ago. They had a wide variety of items showcased at various stalls from military regalia to steam engine sets and model building. I can't say if there was a coin stall, I vaguely remember medals but such an event or market would be ideal for poaching collectors from other hobbies.

GROOVIE COINS

Good day

I saw a tickey listed with a Durban mint mark. I under the impression all coins were struck at the SAmint in Pretoria (not including krugerrands).

How does this work? Is it a mobile press and does in coincide with the coin faire that was mentioned above?

regards Robert 

Pierre_Henri

The mint marks (Privy Marks) are stamped on the coins at the faire  with (I think) the Oom Paul press (but it can also be another mobile press, I am not sure)

The coins themselves are minted in Pretoria:- only the privy marks are done at the faires (in the past it was Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town)

Here is an example of the Cape Town privy mark on a 2017 Tickey

image.jpeg.298ca72d567c59dca99dbb62cea25982.jpeg

GROOVIE COINS
14 hours ago, Pierre_Henri said:

The mint marks (Privy Marks) are stamped on the coins at the faire  with (I think) the Oom Paul press (but it can also be another mobile press, I am not sure)

The coins themselves are minted in Pretoria:- only the privy marks are done at the faires (in the past it was Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town)

Here is an example of the Cape Town privy mark on a 2017 Tickey

image.jpeg.298ca72d567c59dca99dbb62cea25982.jpeg

Ok, so its like a little stamp done on each coin. I always assumed the privy was engraved into the die. 

I see the SA mint advertised being at Canal Walk on 27-28 July on their website, but I was unfortunately too busy to pop in. I wish they would have advertised it in advance so I could have made prior arrangements.

regards Robert

Pierre_Henri

From the Natal Numismatic Society's latest Newsletter ...

News Letters from the Maritzburg Coin Club and the Border Numismatic Society were tabled. Anthony Govender said that he received two other correspondences, one from the SARB stating that the current director of the SA Mint has resigned as of 31st August 2019. Anthony also read out a letter from Glenn Schoeman of SAAND who gave a post mortem of the Coin Fair. Glenn expressed his thanks to The Natal Numismatic Society for hosting yet another successful shown. Anthony Govender open the floor to the members to give their views on the show. Everyone agreed that the setup at this year’s show was better. The attendance at the show was also much improved. There was a steady stream of people throughout the day at the show. We had a total of 16 dealers and 13 exhibits. The venue is superb, safe parking, the food was excellent. The feedback from the dealers was also positive. Anthony Govender made a special vote of thanks to the members of The Natal Numismatic Society for putting out yet another superb exhibition display. He also thanked all those who came out to help setup the venue on the Friday. For the 1st time we had joint winners of the best exhibit. Congratulations to Mike Trevethan and Ulric Duebi who will share the trophy for this year.