Sign in to follow this  
GROOVIE COINS

ZAR vs Krugerrand (Obverse)

GROOVIE COINS

Good day 

Today I saw a listing for a ZAR crown that was in mint state condition and was immediately taken by the level of detail in the obverse, which I didn't expect as I'm not very familiar with ZAR coinage. I've always assumed the bust we are seeing on the krugerrand is exactly what is seen on the ZAR coinage.

Since I have not held any mint state ZAR coins and inspected them physically, all I'm going on are photos which can vary depending on lighting.

I'm I correct in saying the level of detail on Kruger's bust has softened since the introduction of the krugerrand? It was said with the 50th anniversary the design was refreshed using modern technology techniques which would bring out much more detail, but to me it appears certain details have been lost.

1. In the MS ZARs I'm seeing three folds under the eye, where as with the current bullion coins the third and smallest fold is almost entirely lost and transforms into a almost V shape. Interestingly if you look at the 1967 dye used for the first krugerrand the third tiny fold is visible. 
  2. Another thing that I'm seeing (and this could be my imagination or lighting of the photos) is that it appears there is a fold on the lower cheek (Not to be confused with the mouth and nose wrinkle or fold on the upper cheek).
  3. Then to a lesser extent, it appears the frown wrinkle has become less pronounced and softened out ever so slightly. 

I would have thought when the design was updated in 2017 for the bullion coin, attention would have been given to these differences, but it seems like the reverse received more focus.

I hope the sellers don't mind me using their photos for this example.

regards Robert

ZAR Mintstate examples.jpg

Edited by GROOVIE COINS

GROOVIE COINS

The picture of the 1967 dye which contains the third fold under the eye (source SA mint brochure): 

Krugerrand dye 1967.jpg

GROOVIE COINS

The refreshed and updated dye used for the 2017 Krugerrand. The much larger 50oz dye expresses much more pronounced detail in the lower cheek and forehead, but the third fold below the eye has V'd out.

picture source SAmint brochure:

Krugerrand dye and wax template 2017.jpg

Edited by GROOVIE COINS

Pierre_Henri

Nice post! I have been out of the country for a few weeks so have some catching up to do on many posts...

GROOVIE COINS
14 hours ago, Pierre_Henri said:

Nice post! I have been out of the country for a few weeks so have some catching up to do on many posts...

Welcome back! It's been crickets on the forum...