Sign in to follow this  
Kit W

Silk First Day Covers

Kit W    10
Kit W

Good day all

I need to hear honest opinions concerning the collecting of SILK FDC'S (RSA, SWA & HOMELANDS). The silk inlays make them very attractive items indeed and I cannot understand why First Day Fabrics only produced them in such low numbers - The only logical reason I can deduct is that the demand at the time must have been very low OR collectors thought it was a load of garbage!!

Does anybody know if these covers are catalogued ?

Regards

Kit

alloway65    10
alloway65

Hi Kit,

From memory most dealers in those distant days (oh......my lost youth) were concetrating on Silk Maxis as opposed to FDC's. Any silks made were quite an expensive operation to undertake then and Silk Maxis were easier to produce than FDC's and the flavour of the moment.

I dont think they have been catalogued....maybe privately.

I have had a run on Maxi Silks!

Have a good day.

regards

David;)

jimshirl    10
jimshirl

Silk availability

Hi Kit and David

I was buying covers and stamps at the time (as a collector - still am) and I was in the middle of career, tight budgets, young kids, etc.

An important reason to consider in your debate - the silk was more expensive to make and therefore, to buy at the time - often we were forced to leave them in favour of the normal cover/maxi.

I know of no catalogue - perhaps between us we can start to compile one.

Regards,

Jim

Kit W    10
Kit W

Hi David & Jim

We all seem to agree on one fact and that was the fact that they were all expensive at the time relative to the plain FDC. I like Jim's idea of putting together a catalogue - I would have to find out the specific numbers that were issued. Some of the numbers issued very relatively low in comparison to other "numbered issues "mentioned in Flight & Fight

Many thanks for your input

Regards

Kit

gabriel 1    10
gabriel 1

Hi

Bear in mind that alot of the silks were privately produced, if you put together a catalogue you will need the producers input as to quantities made etc.

Regards

Gabriel1

Kit W    10
Kit W

Thanks Gabriel 1.

You sure are right about compiling a catalogue and the big question I ask myself is " What is the demand" for these silks? I must admit of late I have been getting good bids so I will see what happens on Crazy Wednesday Auction on items that I have listed

Regards