Cold Sea

Why do we collect coins?

GROOVIE COINS
1 hour ago, Cold Sea said:

And that is exactly the point, how can any one culture, or nation disregard the past. In our case, from pre-colonisation to colonisation, from concentration camps to apartheid to now. All of these events are portrayed by way of collectables, be it coins, beads, art , or vuvuzela's. The current mood of wanting to ban everything to do with colonialism and apartheid is naive. The next generation may not be interested in collecting pre 1994 items, but why deny them these items if someday they prefer to collect them. 

P.S. Judging by testrarossa's post, it might be the only thing left to collect, as that R5 vault looks like a hot one in Dubai.

From a business perspective I understand that the reasoning of not wanting to be singled out during a wave of populism, especially in today's day and age where everything spreads like wildfire on social media and can be the undoing of a business. By taking steps in advance to ban certain listings or images business are only protecting themselves. 

That being said it is still everyone's right to collect what they want within the framework of the law, and to deny anyone that would be to deny freedom of expression and speech. If in future the constitutional court does ban any insignia, regalia and anything that could be deemed to represent Apartheid, I would think it would be limited to public display only and not to private ownership...

On a side note, I wonder if the Castle still has the old flag raised along with old Batavian, Union Jack and current SA flag? The multiple flags representing each administration that reigned over the Cape.

jwither
3 hours ago, Cold Sea said:

And that is exactly the point, how can any one culture, or nation disregard the past. In our case, from pre-colonisation to colonisation, from concentration camps to apartheid to now. All of these events are portrayed by way of collectables, be it coins, beads, art , or vuvuzela's. The current mood of wanting to ban everything to do with colonialism and apartheid is naive. The next generation may not be interested in collecting pre 1994 items, but why deny them these items if someday they prefer to collect them. 

P.S. Judging by testrarossa's post, it might be the only thing left to collect, as that R5 vault looks like a hot one in Dubai.

There is a similar movement in the USA on a limited scale with historical objects currently deemed politically incorrect.  Particularly anything to do with the Confederacy, an example being the carving on Stone Mountain located in a state park near where I live.  It isn't mainstream - yet - but here in the USA, there is definitely a growing element of self-hate where some people actually hate their own culture and history.

Logically, you would think the people who oppose these things and the ideas represented would want them to remain as a reminder of the culture they hate.  It happened and obliterating the evidence won't prevent it from happening again somewhere else.

testrarossa
18 hours ago, GROOVIE COINS said:

Oh my soul, my heart just skipped a beat. This very afternoon a listing was put up by sa coin for a bag of 90year old Madiba's for R25 000, marketed as 'potential value of R200 000' and 'collect rare notes and coins'. Now if this isn't cornering the market, then I don't know what is!

He can have 99.9% of all mintage and he still won’t be cornering the market due to its high mintage. Definitely not rare in anyone’s book unless you trying to hoodwink.

Put in perspective. Take any Protea with a (tiny)mintage of less than 3000. Much rarer than 10M isn’t it. Now it’s hardly difficult to source one today if you have to. 

jwither
4 hours ago, testrarossa said:

He can have 99.9% of all mintage and he still won’t be cornering the market due to its high mintage. Definitely not rare in anyone’s book unless you trying to hoodwink.

Put in perspective. Take any Protea with a (tiny)mintage of less than 3000. Much rarer than 10M isn’t it. Now it’s hardly difficult to source one today if you have to. 

No coin with 3000 survivors is remotely hard to buy, unless it is worth so little it isn't worth the trouble of selling.

Cold Sea

the gratuitous display of the Old Flag constitutes prohibited hate speech, unfair discrimination and harassment

So the verdict is out and the display of the old flag, in most instances, are prohibited. This obviously includes stamps, lapel badges etc. I think you are still allowed to buy and sell these items, albeit "underground', and wonder if this will open the way to limit or restrict other items, including the series of coins depicting the apartheid heads of state like Verwoerd etc. This series had the rare alternate language coins reserved for VIP's and lists at a premium. I have a feeling that locally their days are numbered and will eventually find their way onto the international markets like e-bay instead.

Edited by Cold Sea

testrarossa
3 hours ago, Cold Sea said:

This series had the rare alternate language coins reserved for VIP's and lists at a premium. I have a feeling that locally their days are numbered and will eventually find their way onto the international markets like e-bay instead.

They do occasionally come up on the usual auction sites but not very often. Prices in SA are a lot stronger than abroad too. I can’t see their days being numbered just yet. Too much interested in the series and key dates. Future?.

What is the going rate for the alternate language proofs as a set today? 

Cold Sea

I know Randcoin listed some of them a while ago. I would estimate a list price of anything between R5 000.00 - R8 000.00 per coin, 1966 - 1969.

testrarossa
On 8/24/2019 at 10:45 AM, Cold Sea said:

I know Randcoin listed some of them a while ago. I would estimate a list price of anything between R5 000.00 - R8 000.00 per coin, 1966 - 1969.

I was quoted more like R30 000 per coin from a collector recently. I politely declined.