Sign in to follow this  
GROOVIE COINS

New R2 and R5 coins

GROOVIE COINS

Good morning

It looks like we have more commemorative circulation coins being released this year. 

A R5 to commemorate R25 years of democracy, which in my opinion looks un-inspirational.

The collection of R2 on the other hand shows promise. It looks like they celebrating the bill of rights. With only 5 designs shown for 2019 and about 30 rights if I'm not mistaken, could we perhaps see the start of a series over the next few years similar to the quarter series in the States? 

https://businesstech.co.za/news/finance/312720/a-first-look-at-south-africas-new-r2-and-r5-coins/

Pierre_Henri

The coins all have messages & themes regarding empty promises like freedom for this and rights for that etc etc. 

It's a pity the SA Mint don't issue a coin with the message "STOP CORRUPTION" and let the government use the income of the coin-sales to actually do something about their endless empty promises ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cold Sea

As they say, we are big on rights but thin on prosecutions. Money is  such a powerful medium for political ends, and you are right, it could rather be used to help root out this corruption nonsense. But the way it is now, the corrupt will pay their bribes with the anti-corruption money without even blinking.

Edited by Cold Sea

GROOVIE COINS

Well it seems the SA mint has heard my calls (I would like to think) to continue the Constitutional rights series with a release of new coins next year as well. No doubt due to the popularity of the current 2019 series.

I think it must have been a few months back that I commented on the SAmint youtube channel and asked the 2019 rights themed coins to be developed into a full series that depicts all our rights. A series of coins similar to the US state quarters is exactly what we need to promote collecting in South Africa.

In the below articles the mint has sent out an invitation for people to submit their designs in a competition, after which the winners will be announced in 30 November. Now I haven't done drawings in a long time, but I think I'll throw my 20 cents (pun intended) in just for the fun of it!

Regards Robert