Jump to content
BruinersCoins

South Africa Graded Banknotes

Recommended Posts

BruinersCoins

My set of PMG graded Madiba Commemorative banknotes. Some of the highest grades in the world. All SA serial numbers!

Why are graded notes so neglected in South Africa?

IMG_20190130_164320[1].jpg

IMG_20190130_164330[1].jpg

IMG_20190130_164339[1].jpg

IMG_20190130_164348[1].jpg

IMG_20190130_164357[1].jpg

Edited by BruinersCoins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jwither

What is your definition of "neglected" ?

Currency has always had a much smaller collector base than coinage.  First, there aren't ever going to be many casual collectors at face value because the notes are worth a lot more.  Second, high grade currency notes predating base metal coinage (generally mid-1960's or somewhat earlier) are already expensive NOW.  These notes are presumably usually scarcer but hardly "cheap".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GROOVIE COINS

I've set aside a near mint R10 Madiba note for my collection. Aside from a few hyperinflation notes, I haven't really touched on this side of numismatics as yet. 

I always get a kick out of mentioning to friends that I'm going to make them a millionaire a few days prior to their birthdays, keeping them in suspense. "You won't know what to do with all the money!"

Then giving them a 5 million dinar note. It always gets a laugh.

regards Robert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BruinersCoins

Awesome Robert.

I have only been collecting for about 4 years or so. I started out with coins, but then discovered all these beautiful Banknotes that we have and that we are doing so little promoting.

It is just another feeling holding a William Clegg 5 Pounds!

Also I find that it is easier to get good quality coins from 1902 than to get a Gouvernements Note from that era?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pierre_Henri
On 1/31/2019 at 4:50 PM, GROOVIE MOVIES said:

I've set aside a near mint R10 Madiba note for my collection. Aside from a few hyperinflation notes, I haven't really touched on this side of numismatics as yet. 

I always get a kick out of mentioning to friends that I'm going to make them a millionaire a few days prior to their birthdays, keeping them in suspense. "You won't know what to do with all the money!"

Then giving them a 5 million dinar note. It always gets a laugh.

regards Robert

Well Robert ...

Why make them millionaires if you can make them trillionaires a few times over ...

100 Trillion Dollars Zimbabwe, AA /2008 Series, P91 UNC Flawless Crisp, History Rare, Long Time Worth - Suitable For Collector Banknote

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BruinersCoins

Amazing that when this was introduced it bought 2 toilet rolls and a loaf of bread. 

Today you battle to find one in UNC for under R500. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GROOVIE COINS
15 hours ago, Pierre_Henri said:

Well Robert ...

Why make them millionaires if you can make them trillionaires a few times over ...

100 Trillion Dollars Zimbabwe, AA /2008 Series, P91 UNC Flawless Crisp, History Rare, Long Time Worth - Suitable For Collector Banknote

Believe it or not, I see these trillion dollar notes sell for big bucks. I've seen them go well into the hundreds before. They a big hit with collectors and stackers, especially in the precious metals communities that believe in intrinsic wealth. 

These notes tell a story and is a warning of what can happen when a economy spirals out of control. You don't have to look far back at post war Germany as an example of hyperinflation, people remember what happened in Zim, and they see what's happening in Argentina and Venezuela.

One story that stands out for me in the former Yugoslavia in the early 90's, I read how municipal workers would rather pay peoples' bills out of their own pockets with change, than to go out door to door and collect fees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GROOVIE COINS
15 hours ago, BruinersCoins said:

Amazing that when this was introduced it bought 2 toilet rolls and a loaf of bread. 

Today you battle to find one in UNC for under R500. 

What comes after a trillion? 10 of these notes would have been called?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GROOVIE COINS

I've just been informed by a friend, Quadrillion follows 999 trillion. Fascinating!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...