Sign in to follow this  
Iceman714

Iceman714

Hallo everybody, we inherited a collection of stamps. I need some help with identification and values ect. I am really confused by internet sites that value stamps at way different prices. The stamps we have are very old (most of them) and of a large number of countries. I want to know if anybody could help me,

regards

seahorsefanatic

Hi Iceman714

There is no easy solution to your problem. Based in Saldanha leaves you some distance from stamp dealers and stamp fairs that we enjoy up here in JHB.

What is necessary are the catalogues for ascertaining scarcity and value of your stamps. Maybe there are other collectors in your area or a local Philatelic Society that can help.

Always bear in mind that the condition of the material is crucial to the value and even though some material may be very old, its value may be minimal due to poor condition.

Dealers will be able to give you a general opinion of the value of your collection but you will need to appreciate that no Dealer will go out of his/her way to do an in depth valuation of your collection without charging for it due to the time and effort involved.

Lastly, also bear in mind that catalogue values are merely a guide to the value and do not reflect in practice the price in the market. Prices in the market are from 15% to 50% of catalogue prices except for "rare" material which always commands better prices and can exceed catalogue values depending on demand.

Hope this helps you.

Iceman714

Info please

Dear Seahorsefanatic, thank you for your reply. Yes it is a big problem living on the west coast to get help. The nearest library won't let us take out the catalogs. That is why we go on to the net for values and identification. Still, it is confusing, because you find something and there are so many different values for one stamp. I would say that 90% of the stamps are in a very very good condition. The albums were untouched for about 35 years.

So I was thinking if maybe I can upload some that we have problems of identifying and perhaps the forum could assist me in that way. Can this be done? Could anybody assist me on a regular basis.

We have decided not to send this away for appraisal, it just sounds to risky as we found some stamps that seams to be classified as rare. The nearest Philatec Club is in Houtbay (sorry moved to Villiersdorp recently).

Regards

seahorsefanatic

It is a good idea to scan in the image and post a link on the forum. You will no doubt get a response from a number of the forum readers who will be only to glad to help from the comfort of their keyboards :).

If I think of just 3 of the regular stamp people on the furum, there are about 100 years of collecting/trading between them.

Here's looking forward to your posting ( with image link ). If you look at some of the previous postings, you will see some very interesting items that have been posted with links to the image.

All the best

Iceman714

Thank you very much. Sorry for this next question, but I have to ask. How on earth can a seller ask R400 000 plus for a India stamp ( it's a half anna) greenish/blue. I saw it on this site. nearly keeled over. I have 3 of those in good condition, actualy have the 1 (two of them different colours), and the 2 anna blue.

What's up with that? Are they mad or I am just new?

mellowred

Hi Iceman. Here's hoping that you are "just new" ;).

Iceman714

the new one

Hi there, yes I hope your right. :) I am in great need of help identifying some stamps and values to a lot of others. I am going to upload images to photobucket for others to view. Is this the way to go? ( remember I am new to this)

regards

z

voldermort
Thank you very much. Sorry for this next question, but I have to ask. How on earth can a seller ask R400 000 plus for a India stamp ( it's a half anna) greenish/blue. I saw it on this site. nearly keeled over. I have 3 of those in good condition, actualy have the 1 (two of them different colours), and the 2 anna blue.

What's up with that? Are they mad or I am just new?

It could only be the fact that you are exceptionally new to BOB that would lead you to believe that you have the authority to dictate the selling prices of other independent sellers on BOB.

So if it's a half anna for R400 000 plus being sold, perhaps for your 1 anna you could ask R800 000 plus, and the 2 anna would obviously just go in the millions?

I definately look forward to seeing these stamps being sold.

lilythepink

I agree with voldermort!

Iceman714

Please - was not meant to be insult

Hi Voldermort, please accept my sincere appology. This was not meant as a insult to anybody. If you can just imagine for a moment please, that someone who knows nothing about stamps (that would be me), sees a price like that for a "little" piece if paper (I know I'm ignorant).... BIG SHOCK! Sorry again.

That is why help is needed. Can't seem to upload images.

Regards

Z

admin

Hi All,

Please argue the post and not the poster and do not get personal. To me, looking at Iceman714's posts, it looks like his/her first language is not English and he/she just expressed himself/herself wrong.

Thank you.

Iceman714

Big, big, huge appologies to EVERYBODY in this forum. It was just a expression to a big shock.

regards

Z

Thank you admin, but know I was wrong.

dstorm

Hello Iceman

Go through the listings of the various stamp sellers on BoB in order to see where they are located.

You might be surprised by the activity on the West Coast, including Langebaan and Melkbosch. At some stage there was even a buyer at Grotto!

Perhaps it is time for somebody to stand up and start “The West Coast Philatelic Society”. You could meet at the Community centre at Yzerfontein. (Just kidding, but look around you and you might be surprised).

Regards

Jacques

Iceman714

That's very good news, thanks.

gabriel 1

Hi Iceman

Voldermort has spoken. I would not apologise if I was you, I think that your question was fair due to the fact that you have stated that you do not know much about stamps. You will find alot of philatelists that are prepared to assist you so pay no attention to others arrogance.

Good luck

Gabriel1