BruinersCoins

Hobo Coins

BruinersCoins

I have recently received my final warning for listing illegal/fake items on Bid or Buy. I have discussed this previously on this platform. One of the reasons I was WARNED previously was for selling FAKE Hobo coins. Now, I trade internationally and have NEVER heard of such utter nonsense. I don't know how a Hobo coin can be illegal or fake or both. According to the biggest market, the USA, Hobo coins are a craft and quite legal. So in future, I think Bid or Buy need to investigate certain claims made by people who are just plain jealous!

The South African coin collecting market has been in the doldrums for far too long and SA collectors have been starved of new themes to collect. Everyone has just been too happy to sell a 1965 Afrikaans cent.

I am developing niche markets in the SA coin collecting market, and I am NOT going to stop!

This is good for our economy, but more so for Bid or Buy.... yes I basically just started, but so did my good friend Pierre Nortje years ago. The only problem is certain sellers on Bid or Buy need to grow up... help the industry grow, instead of trying to score points at someone else's expense.

Now back to Hobo coins.

Hobo coins were first crafted from United States Nickels (5 Cents) during the Great Depression by, hobos. Today it is an industry worth millions of Dollars the world over. In actual fact, they have become so popular that some companies are now making them by machine.

Who collects Hobo coins?

Golfers use them to mark their golf balls. I can just imagine, it must be quite a talking point when your playing partner sees these coins. Also, as with coin collecting, collectors collect Hobo coins around specific themes, like cartoon characters, moon landings, etc.

I will be auctioning quite a few different designs over the next couple of days.....

I hope people have a better grasp of what a Hobo coin is.....

Ralph

IMG_20181219_195259[1].jpg

IMG_20181219_195405[1].jpg

IMG_20181219_195310[1].jpg

IMG_20181219_195417[1].jpg

Pierre_Henri
On 12/19/2018 at 8:29 PM, BruinersCoins said:

I have recently received my final warning for listing illegal/fake items on Bid or Buy. I have discussed this previously on this platform. One of the reasons I was WARNED previously was for selling FAKE Hobo coins. Now, I trade internationally and have NEVER heard of such utter nonsense. I don't know how a Hobo coin can be illegal or fake or both. According to the biggest market, the USA, Hobo coins are a craft and quite legal. So in future, I think Bid or Buy need to investigate certain claims made by people who are just plain jealous!

Yes, utter nonsense. 

We all support you Ralph - don't worry about the rest...

Kind regards

Pierre

BruinersCoins

Thank you so much Pierre. 

Have a blessed New Year. 

jwither

Hobo nickels are acknowledged collectibles in the USA.  Any knowledgeable collector in the USA knows it.  If someone has reported otherwise to BoB, they have no idea what they are talking about.  Certainly no candidate for "investment" but that's a different consideration altogether.

BruinersCoins

Thank you for your confirmation. 

Have a blessed New Year! 

coinoisseur

Hi Ralph

A wonderful 2019 to you and everyone. Yes you are correct, hobo coins are collectable and are similar to the Kruger Hat and Pipe coins sometimes reffered to as POW coins or Trench Art Coins or Sweetheart Brooches. These are very collectable in South Africa and I for one have a very extensive collection. My understanding on this is that although they are beautiful and considered to be a work of art, it is also considered to be defacing currency which is considered illegal in many countries. Here in South Africa, it is a punishable offence if anyone is caught defacing currency, obsolete or current currency.

This is just my understanding on this.

Regard

Anthony

Cold Sea
15 minutes ago, coinoisseur said:

Hi Ralph

A wonderful 2019 to you and everyone. Yes you are correct, hobo coins are collectable and are similar to the Kruger Hat and Pipe coins sometimes reffered to as POW coins or Trench Art Coins or Sweetheart Brooches. These are very collectable in South Africa and I for one have a very extensive collection. My understanding on this is that although they are beautiful and considered to be a work of art, it is also considered to be defacing currency which is considered illegal in many countries. Here in South Africa, it is a punishable offence if anyone is caught defacing currency, obsolete or current currency.

This is just my understanding on this.

Regard

Anthony

Hi Anthony, I found this explanation and it seems that it only applies to legal tender coins. My question is whether the Trench art coins are still legal tender.

https://lawfulliving.co.za/book/text/national-treasury--reserve-bank.html

Cold Sea

Hi jwither, so is Union coinage, but you can still exchange it at SARB for current circulating coinage and notes. 

Pierre_Henri
2 hours ago, Cold Sea said:

Hi jwither, so is Union coinage, but you can still exchange it at SARB for current circulating coinage and notes. 

I wonder what  the SARB (SA Reserve Bank) will pay one for an old South African Farthing (Quarter Penny) in exchange today?

It is nonsensical for us today but are they obliged to do it?

Must the SARB do the exchange when presented with say a 1960 Farthing?

Is it legally bounded on them?

What amount will they have to pay one if indeed they are legally bounded to do the exchange - - let us say for a South African Farthing of 1960 in this example? 

jwither
5 hours ago, Cold Sea said:

Thanks, I did not know that.

Cold Sea

Hi Pierre, here is the list.

SAReserveBankAct1-1.thumb.jpg.333fdc504857c13fecf1dec560147237.jpg

GROOVIE COINS
On 1/13/2019 at 8:26 AM, Cold Sea said:

Hi Pierre, here is the list.

SAReserveBankAct1-1.thumb.jpg.333fdc504857c13fecf1dec560147237.jpg

I would assume any denomination below our lowest currently (10cent) would be rounded up to 10 cents.