Sign in to follow this  
anthony03

High cost of delivery by sellers

anthony03

Since Bid or Buy have increased their seller fees, sellers are escalating their shipping/postage costs in order to recoup  their profits. For example, I can buy medal ribbons from the UK  and have them posted to me at a far cheaper rate than the vast majority of Bid or Buy sellers are prepared to offer. As an example, When you charge R65.00 for tracked postage then send them via registered post which is about 50% less, that is profiteering and the same goes for Courier costs. Maybe they have been forced into this by the postage levy, Who knows....

Little Miss Muffet

I often remember my children asking me "Why,Mommy,why" when they were asked to do,or not do something.

A good mother would give a valid reason or she could just say "Because I say so"

Perhaps Bidorbuy should have given their users a reason for their strategy so that we could better understand their actions.

queen of hearts

Most annoying when someone stuffs a fragile item into a registered mail envelope when you have paid for parcel post - they are on my never to buy from again list.

RodneyStemmers

2019 and this seems to be getting worst 

I recently bought 3 items for R40 each - the delivery was R220. R220 for items that cost R120. All this while we have Aramex, pargo, etc. 

Seems that much more profit is being made on Shipping than the actual product.

Its ridiculous and sad, really loved buying here. 

p.s. my shipping address is Cape Town CBD - you cannot get more central than that. 

Little Miss Muffet

If someone has charged you R220 for 3 small items sent together then you should report that to Bidorbuy.

If they were breakables or sent individually it would make a big difference to the cost of postage.

Paxi via Pep stores costs R49 but must fit in their envelope which is large and they do not charge more for weight.I do charge R55 as packaging is involved and transport to Pep.

I joined Bidorbuy in 2008 and was fortunate to have the best of years on Bidorbuy.

Sad the way it has turned out.I will no longer go out of my way to source collectors items and will only list an item if I happen to find a bargain.

Fortunately I do not have to rely on it as an income for living expenses.It has paid for all my overseas trips to visit family in the UK

RodneyStemmers
11 hours ago, Little Miss Muffet said:

If someone has charged you R220 for 3 small items sent together then you should report that to Bidorbuy.

If they were breakables or sent individually it would make a big difference to the cost of postage.

Paxi via Pep stores costs R49 but must fit in their envelope which is large and they do not charge more for weight.I do charge R55 as packaging is involved and transport to Pep.

I joined Bidorbuy in 2008 and was fortunate to have the best of years on Bidorbuy.

Sad the way it has turned out.I will no longer go out of my way to source collectors items and will only list an item if I happen to find a bargain.

Fortunately I do not have to rely on it as an income for living expenses.It has paid for all my overseas trips to visit family in the UK

Its seems to be a trend - "R150 for the first item and R50 for additional items 3% for insurance" 

Some guys more than that

I think i have made my last purchase here, will check in again when folks are not trying to get rich of postage. 

Little Miss Muffet
5 hours ago, RodneyStemmers said:

Its seems to be a trend - "R150 for the first item and R50 for additional items 3% for insurance" 

Some guys more than that

I think i have made my last purchase here, will check in again when folks are not trying to get rich of postage. 

Rodney you are not specifying what you bought and how many parcels were sent.It could cost R150 to post breakables as they have to be protected and parcels cost according to volumetric size.

RodneyStemmers
17 hours ago, Little Miss Muffet said:

Rodney you are not specifying what you bought and how many parcels were sent.It could cost R150 to post breakables as they have to be protected and parcels cost according to volumetric size.

Not sure how it matters, but the size of the items i bought is 145mm x 17mm - non breakables. 

3 of these

They can literally fit into an envelope. 

My point was, the postage is standard no matter what item you buy (well if it is bigger it cost more obviously) 

Yet some sellers still offer R99 door to door for almost all their items. 

I have not yet received my items or feed back from questions i have asked - will keep you posted. 

Little Miss Muffet

I am not aware of anything cheaper than R99 door to door.

Check before you buy whether a seller will send an item registered mail  approx R40 SAPO,Paxi R49 etc but

Aramex,or any other door to door will always be R99 even to send some air in an envelope.

RodneyStemmers

So this is what R220 of postage buys you.

IMG_20190611_083340.jpg

All Music

Using Courier Guy a fair shipping price for those items from a main center to a main center would be somewhere between R100 and R120, allowing for packaging etc., and assuming the weight was under 2kgs.

RodneyStemmers
On 6/11/2019 at 4:04 PM, All Music said:

Using Courier Guy a fair shipping price for those items from a main center to a main center would be somewhere between R100 and R120, allowing for packaging etc., and assuming the weight was under 2kgs.

This is my point, the weight is under 1 kg

Making profit off shipping 

I outed another seller on the Daily Deals for wanting to charge R300 for anywhere outside of JHB with R50 for each additional item.

These sellers have lost their minds 

Little Miss Muffet
12 hours ago, RodneyStemmers said:

This is my point, the weight is under 1 kg

Making profit off shipping 

I outed another seller on the Daily Deals for wanting to charge R300 for anywhere outside of JHB with R50 for each additional item.

These sellers have lost their minds 

There is no courier I know of that is less than R99 extra charges packaging= R110.There are 2 packages so R220 is correct.The charges for courier are 0-1kg.If they came from the same seller both could have been sent together and the cost would be R110 for both.Check what the seller charges for postage before buying.There are cheaper alternatives.Paxi,Pargo SAPO etc. 

Edited by Little Miss Muffet
adding comment

All Music
45 minutes ago, Little Miss Muffet said:

There is no courier I know of that is less than R99 extra charges packaging= R110.

Courier Guy overnight main centre to main centre is R80.50 inc vat at the moment if under 2kg. Unfortunately goes up 1 July and will then be R92

RodneyStemmers
11 hours ago, Little Miss Muffet said:

There is no courier I know of that is less than R99 extra charges packaging= R110.There are 2 packages so R220 is correct.The charges for courier are 0-1kg.If they came from the same seller both could have been sent together and the cost would be R110 for both.Check what the seller charges for postage before buying.There are cheaper alternatives.Paxi,Pargo SAPO etc. 

Firstly, if you read correctly i said some seller on BOB are still charging R99 for shipping, nowhere did i say it was less than R99

Secondly, it was one package. two bags, one inside the other. One whole package under 1kg, from the same seller, at the same time together. (not sure how else to exp[lain this. 

If you condone the charge of R220 for these items (as i have received), then that is your right, i was never telling you cannot charge what you want to charge, i was merely stating that sellers are making profit off postage.  

You are correct that i should have checked the shipping before the time, that was my mistake, will not do that again. In saying that, you are giving sellers the right to charge what ever they want IF they get away with it? Shifting the blame is taking from the wrong doing that is happening. 

• Haha 1

RodneyStemmers
11 hours ago, All Music said:

Courier Guy overnight main centre to main centre is R80.50 inc vat at the moment if under 2kg. Unfortunately goes up 1 July and will then be R92

I didn't even know about these options.

It seems like this blanket Shipping cost is the main issue, E.G. you buy a 0.5kg tniy item for R50 and shipping is R165. From the same store you can get a 1.5kg not so tiny item for R300 and the shipping is R165. 

Little Miss Muffet

No Rodney I am not saying that R220 is justified for sending both parcels together.

I said if they were sent separately then R220 would be correct.

You are the one who did not clarify what the postage was all about.

If this seller has made you pay for 2 postages then report it to Bidorbuy.I would never do that.

RodneyStemmers
On 6/14/2019 at 5:11 PM, Little Miss Muffet said:

No Rodney I am not saying that R220 is justified for sending both parcels together.

I said if they were sent separately then R220 would be correct.

You are the one who did not clarify what the postage was all about.

If this seller has made you pay for 2 postages then report it to Bidorbuy.I would never do that.

Goodness, the seller has not made me pay for two postages this is their standard postage for on parcel/package Containing 3 items.

Let me try again

It was only one Parcel/Package containing the 3 items

The first Courier Guy Packet i presume was used as packaging material - i suppose Bubble-wrap would be asking to much. 

This was then placed into a second Courier Guy Packet and sent to me.

So only one Package containing 3 Items - I really hope you understand this now

Below is the sellers standard postages, i have marked my option Red.

i resurrected this thread to bring attention to high and underhanded postage costs, if anything i hope that i have achieved that. 

Shipping method Shipping details
• LOCAL COURIER SERVICE (POTCH, CARTONVILLE, KLERKSDORP, ORKNEY, MATLOSANA) R99.00 for the first item
R20.00 each additional item
Insurance is charged at an additional 3.00% of the order value
• COURIER CENTRAL ONLY PRETORIA,JHBG, Not for suburbs of CITYS R129.00 for the first item
R25.00 each additional item
• COURIER MAIN CITY'S SUBURBS!!(JHBRG,PRETORIA,DURBAN,PTMBRG,BLOEM,) R139.00 for the first item
Courier FOR MPUMALANGA,NORTHERN CAPE, WESTERN CAPE, EASTERN CAPE (ONLY MAIN CITY'S) R159.00 for the first item
R29.00 each additional item
• ALL RURAL AREAS AND SMALL TOWNS PLEASE CONTACT SELLER BEFORE CHOOSE AN SHIPPING OPTION Insurance is charged at an additional 3.00% of the order value
• COURIER FOR MAIN CITY'S IN VAAL TRIANGLE(Only main city's ) R144.00 for the first item
• POST OFFICE Economical post (PLEASE NOTE:Buyers own responcibility Their service is poor) R88.00 for the first item
R28.00 each additional item
• Courier Limpopo Main Cities - ONLY R169.00 for the first item
R29.00 each additional item
• COURIER FOR NON MAIN CITIES (Not outlying areas) R169.00 for the first item

Little Miss Muffet

If the postage cost the seller (Hypothetically R120 including packaging) then he has no right to charge you R220

I am not sure if Bidorbuy challenge sellers on high postage costs but if I was you I would complain