Sign in to follow this  
Serthentia Sales

Buyer damages product, bidorbuy trying to force refund with threats of account closure. BoB management response required

Serthentia Sales

Yet another case of Bob's authoritarian attitude here. 

A bidder bid on and LOST an auction for a 6.35ct black diamond. I had another large black diamond in stock (this one of 5.06ct), and I proceeded to offer this at a lower price than the auctioned 6.35ct diamond to the runners up, VERY CLEARLY indicating that the diamond being offered is a 5.06ct black diamond (see attached screenshot of the offer made to the bidder). 

Buyer then proceeds to rip the certification to pieces, and then complain that they want a refund because they want a 6.35ct diamond instead of the one offered to them which was clearly stated as 5.06ct.

Ntombi Shabangu from Bob staff then proceeds to demand that I refund the buyer, stating that the item is not as advertised (although I provided screenshot proof of the offer and BoB can easily check the offer as well on the system), and going on to also state that the CPA gives the buyer the full right to return any product they are nor happy with. 

The CPA DOES NOT give the buyer any right to return an item which has been physically damaged after it has been received into their possession. Our sales terms clearly state on the auction that no return will be accepted if the certification has been damaged by the buyer. The item also was EXACTLY what was offered after the buyer LOST the auction for the 6.35ct diamond. 

This is a buyer who has over 50 negative ratings in the past month alone, obviously a problematic buyer to many sellers. 

As a seller, I am fully within my rights to refuse to accept any return of any item which has, in part or in full, been physically damaged by the buyer after they have received it. 

Bidorbuy have no right whatsoever so declare that I must accept return of the damaged goods and threaten to close my account if I do not comply with this authoritarian ruling. 

Certified diamonds sell for at least 50% higher price than uncertified diamonds. I cannot and will not resell this diamond uncertified and take a 50% loss due to the buyer damaging the goods. Further, to have the diamond recertifies in SA will cost a fortune, as only EGL have the ability in SA to determine between natural and enhanced colour in a fancy colour diamond. EGL will charge R450/ct (x 5.06ct) PLUS R1680 for colour authentication. That is R3957 for recertification of this diamond due to the buyer ripping apart the certificate. I will not take that expense on myself, no way no chance. To ship the diamond back overseas for recertification will also be prohibitively expensive due to international courier costs both ways to and from the lab. 

This is why we have all of our diamonds certified overseas by our suppliers before they are shipped to us, as to certify coloured diamonds in SA is ridiculously expensive due to the colour authentication. 

I want BoB management to email me and address this, as this type of treatment towards sellers is 100% unjustified and undemocratic. This is authoritarian rule and is not acceptable in a free market environment. 

To summarise, the buyer received the exact diamond which they were offered after losing the original auction. The buyer then ripped apart the certificate, and the BoB tried to force a refund of damaged goods claiming the CPA gives the buyer that right and threatening account closure if I fail to "comply". 

I want a response from Bob management regarding this as you cannot bully and threaten sellers in this manner

Screenshot.jpg

Serthentia Sales

Issue resolved with management. Thank you Natasha. This was yet another case of BoB staff members not having proper training to do their job and not having the correct knowledge and information