Sign in to follow this  
Pierre_Henri

What is going on with bidding on 1965 RSA coins? Is there some scam going on?

Pierre_Henri

I don't know if it is a Nigerian scam, but the prices of 1965 RSA coins are being driven up by bidders who have mostly African sounding names ...

With a few exceptions, they don't pay after winning items, and when blocked, it's probably the same person or group that pop up again after re-registering under new names (false aliases)

Here are a few of them ...

SbuDum1236(no ratings)

Chisawo12

Tobslove-1

dinana-2

monmas3478-1

testrarossa

Hi Pierre, yes there’s something up too me thinks. Sold a 1965 Proof set on eBay last week. While it was active a member who said he was in SA (had zero feedback) asked if I was willing to send to SA. I had Africa under a exclusion zone. 

I said I am willing to post to SA but won’t use the PO as they declined too much so courier would be the only option and prices start at £35. 

I said to him/her they would be better buying on BOB due to the expensive postage and relative cheap coins (it sold for £20). It didn’t put him off  and was very keen paying whatever the postage cost would be. 

Now if it was something you can’t easily source in SA I would have believed him but unfortunately not on a 1965 set. Now you also mention something shady. If it sounds to good to be true...

GROOVIE MOVIES

Whenever I have put up listings in the past and I've received bids from poor or no ratings, I immediately removed their bids. I'd rather set my auction back down to credible bid and be assured the sale, than have nosebleeds drive up the auction and waste time and money.

CapeCurrencyCoin

Yes, very interesting, i noticed it as well ,I sold a 1965 English Silver rand (R1 auction) to a gentleman with an African sounding name, fortunately he did pay, one of the users on your list ,Chisawo12, did win an 1893 2 Shillings ZAR but hasn't paid, not yet anyway.

Perhaps some of these buyers are going to try sell these coins as the "rare 1965 version" to less knowledgeable collectors (ie speculators, probably)since its a bit of a "celebrity' year when it comes to RSA coins and everyone is familiar with 1965 as an important date, but probably less familiar with the nuances ,ie English or Afrikaans ...or perhaps they are genuinely interested, I guess we will see what transpires, or maybe we wont! 

Pierre_Henri

I am busy deleting this gentleman's bids on my 1965 coins - see his shocking ratings - 100% negative

SekMot7624-9

Pierre_Henri

And again ...

R790.00   6 Sep 15:53   SbuDum1236(no ratings)

Pierre_Henri

Andries,

Is daar nie 'n manier om hierdie scam op BidorBuy te stop nie? 

Dit is mos baie duidelik wat hier aangaan?

Julle by BidorBuy moet ons beskerm teen hierdie nonsens - dit tel teen julle  en almal kry seer

Groete

Pierre

admin

Hi Pierre,

Unfortunately they are not linked on the system. I have disabled 2 for high negative ratings and/or not concluding deals.

Groetnis van huis tot huis.

Andries

Pierre_Henri

You are a star Andries

Thank you for rooting these trouble makes out...