Sign in to follow this  
admin

Community Watch - Gemstone forum only

Lukeness
alloway65

Well done Luke,

As was said before a lot of sellers do not know what they are selling!!!!

Any idea where can I buy some mined....natural.....hydrothermal gemstones!!!!!!!!!!!! HaHa

This sort of thing makes a mockery of the whole gemstone situation.

D

:roll:

SSGEMS

Completely off topic. Sorry!

Do any of you know what happened to "baya1". She just disapeared. She owes me a refund.

alloway65

Have you tried to phone her, I dealt with her in the past....a very nice lady!

Cali Craft and Gems

As far as Baya1 had confided in me late last year, she had sold off a stack of Krugerrand's, sent them off, only to discover that someone in the PO system had swopped out all the coins replacing them with washers.

This left many t'd off buyers, which after much investigation, etc led to her being disabled by BoB, then eventually blacklisted. (issue discussed on the coin forum threads)

It is unfortunate that we have lost such a wonderful gem seller due to the long sticky fingers of a post office worker!

I am sure that there is more behind the story, but as anyone can imagine, this is a terrible situation to be faced with!

alloway65

If you are in business BoB or otherwise, you should not go out of business due to one bad deal. This has happened to a few BoBers!

Any business should not be run on a shoe string....if it is someone will suffer in the end.....the seller or the buyer!

D.

Lukeness

With Kruger rands it would have to be quite a string!

Alo, it sounds like more than one deal was affected.

Celebrity Jewels

Seller stealing my pics and more

Hi All

I have kept a low profile here on the forum because no matter what the experts seem to say and warn, nobody seems to take heed. Today I sold an item and the buyer immediately got hold of me and sent me an email of my item being around 2cts and another seller with my picture selling a 5.05 cts. Natually he was concerned and I do not blame him - he just wanted to know what he was going to get.....!!!

It took me several hours to prove my innocence and it was only when I asked him to give me a link to the other item he had bought did I realise that this seller had blatently copied my exact pic and used it.. can you believe that?

I then also realised that the seller concerned was one that I have had a lot of my customers complain about so it was a no brainer. Here is a link to one of the sellers current items - personally I believe that it is a huge fraud going on here and I have spent several hours on another auction site and found items simalar for £0.99 so looking for you guys to tell me I am wrong...

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/item/Item.jsp?Trade_TradeId=13077593

Regards

Brian

BAZA 1

dishonast seller

hi everyone sorry i am new to this but i see you mention a seller using non stock pic's i have found this to be true in more than 1 instance out of 10 items won i sent back 7 others wer lost in post not 1 was as per discription i think this is a way of making money from the postage and combining fee i pay R40 for post envelope has recipt onit for R19.90 they score R20 u pay R10 to bombine per item R70 that is R140 u send back costing R20 that is total outlayfrom buyer of R167 inc stones @ R1 each u get credit less 10% handeling R6.30 total the stones returned are reaucitnd and the cycle startes again not to mention the *** for tat rating system they follow even when u pay within 10min of close of aution

i know this does not realy cocerne u but i need to vent as i can see i am not the only one concerned about this seller and white river is to far to drive :mad:

Celebrity Jewels

Hi baza1

This is unfortunately common practice on many auction sites. Stick with safe sellers and you will be just fine. These sellers that exploit others will lost all repeat business like yours.

Regards

Brian

iffish20

Fake Sapphire

Hi all fellow gem collectors,

recently I purchased what I believed to be a beautiful, NATURAL, blue Sapphire from Exportgems, please see the link below http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/item/Item.jsp?Trade_TradeId=11688238

When I recieved it I took it to my local jeweller to get it certified through the Goverment founded Assey office before I had it set in a ring. After waiting 3 weeks for the results the verbal result came back and they said it was SYNTHETIC not at all NATURAL. I contacted Exportgems through e-mail and they replied saying it was down to their supplier selling the stone to them as Natural yet the Sapphire came with 2 certificates of authenticity.

Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 00:04:12 +0700

Subject: Re: 4.65 natural sapphire

To:

Hi Richard,

First off I want to thank you for allowing us the chance to correct this issue. I will take back the gemstone under our money back guarantee.

Would you be able to send me the gemstone in question including all documentation you may have. If it is indeed synthetic, than I have to take up this issue with my buyer and my gemstone dealer. This error should not have occurred in our stock as I insist that gemstones like this come certified.

I was offered my money back but believed them and said I would accept a replacement stone. I was then told they would need a week to find one which I agreed to but heard nothing from them so contacted them again and was told they would need more time , which I agreed to.

Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 12:10:41 +0700

Subject: Re: 4.65 natural sapphire

To:

Hi Richard,

was not able to find a replacement for you yet. The weekend market was a bit slow due to national long weekend. I'm going to look for tanzanites and sapphires for you this weeken

I waited for a couple of weeks then sent e-mailed them saying I wanted a refund, when I finally got a reply I was told they had been in Africa collecting stock but would have a replacement for me in this stock once they had sorted through it.

E-mail recieved

Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 01:46:08 +0700

> Subject: Re: Sapphire

> From:

> To:

>

> Hi Richard,

> Sorry for my late reply to your emails. I've been travelling over seas

> and sisnt have access to emails. Gem hunting takes me into the jungles

> and I've just returned from Africa.

>

> Please allow me a couple of days to recover and I'm sure I will have a

> replcement item for in the batch of gemstones I brought over from my

> trip.

>

> I don't have the funds in my paypal account for a refund at the momment.

After they had told me this I checked there listings on BoB and found they had similar Sapphires listed for sale while they were in Africa. I tried to contact them again but you guessed it, NO REPLY.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/13496599/_Appraised_at_R61930_5_19ct_Oval_KASHMIR_BLUE_CEYLON_SAPPHIRE_Cert_and_Appraisal_included.html

They have listings on BoB now so bye carefully, by the way this mistake cost me £382

Regards

Richard

Celebrity Jewels

Fake

Hi Richard

Welcome to the gemstone forum. This is very unfortunate but happening so much lately on Bidorbuy and other auction sites. I am sure that now that we have solid evidence that this item is a fake - and the the seller CONTINUES to see even after knowing that the batch is fake - that action shoud and will be taken by Bidorbuy management.

I see that there is more trouble on the way when you look at the sellers other items - http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/1179313/exportgems

Thank you for highlighting this and we will do everything that we can to assist you.

Regards

Brian

Lukeness

Who has supplied the "certificate and appraisal" mentioned in their listing?

The cutting also looks pretty atrocious!

Also, none of the stones being offered by them as Padparadsha seem to have the colours that would define them as (especially since they are diffused) such and the star rubies/sapphires are quite clearly diffused and not natural stars.

iffish20

I cannot believe this guy is advertising the same size Sapphire he sold me, which was Synthetic, how is he getting away with it. I just hope nobody gets drawn in like I did.

GemDeals

Hi iffish20,

Please contact bidorbuy @ hello@bidorbuy.co.za and explain to them the situation.

I have just gone though some of the items listed in their ratings, and to be honest I doubt they sell anything but synthetics/man made gems.

If you cannot claim for a refund via paypal, contact your credit card company or bank. Tell them your story, I recently had a 4 month old transaction reversed.

Kind regards,

Chris.

Celebrity Jewels

This is getting out of hand now!

Hello fellow members and bidorbuy management

I have had a long absence from the forum but would have thought that all the man hours and responding undertakings by bidorbuy management would have eventually been enforced. I was given a undertaking by senior management at Bidorbuy that should a customer complain about a stone and have the relevant proof then and only then would action be taken.

Can we members and also members of the gemstone buying community be given a answer as to why the following post was prematurely closed and locked - http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/showthread.php?t=6158

Let me give you some background on the person that made a stand here and had her stones tested at a reputable lab. She was a regular buyer of around R20 000 per month not only with me but with other sellers at the same time. She was alerted that her stones may be not what the seller claimed and had them tested at the most reputable and respected labs in South Africa and worldwide.

Conclusion - stones worthless and she has been fiddled. I have a customer who has purchased from the same seller (husband - one username/ wife - another) and he has certs to prove that the stones are worthless - diffused sapphires and it gets worse.

Conclusion - we were promised that with a justified complaint and supporting evidence action would be taken.

Why is the thread locked? Will action be taken or will outside forces come into the picture now and make it difficult for the honest sellers to continue when the rogues get prosecuted.

I personally will be contacting management today because I believe that it is crucial that innocent buyers are protected.

Regards

Brian

qball

Hi

I locked the thread, simply because I know this is going to cause confrontation. I have spoken to the seller and advised them of bidorbuy's position regarding disclosing treatments and enhancements to stones and the values and cautioned them about the listings, he has posted on the forum that the stones listed will be EGL certified in future. The purpose of this is to get a seller to correct the listings and advertise them correctly. Yes, evidence was presented, it was adddressed with the seller, the seller offered a refund and agreed to certify all stones listed with EGL and ensure all listings are accurately described. We believe the correct action has been taken and the seller will be complying with our requests.

We will monitor the seller's listings going forward.

Thank you

Cuan

Celebrity Jewels

Thank you

Hi Cuan

Thank you for the feed back - If it is all the same with you can we assume that all buyers that have been duped will get their money back and if not what action can be taken? I have several customers who have also purchased from the same sellers partner and the same problems exist with those stones.

We all make mistakes but when it is ongoing there is no excuse and as we all - lets just hope that all come to the party to make Bidorbuy the safe and respected buying platform that it is already.

Regards

Brian

qball

Until we get confirmation from these buyers we cannot assume anything. As I have stated before, without confirmation we cannot act. If a buyer is unhappy they need to follow the procedure as outlined many times before, and contact the seller to firstly discuss and try resolve. But we cannot warn someone for something that's already happened in the past with no evidence, this is purely an opinion or hearsay at this stage. If a buyer has followed the process, and wishes to take it further they can also seek legal counsel on this, in terms of what their rights are and how to protect their interests, we cannot do this for them. If the seller agrees to refund, then that will effectively resolve the situation. It also has to be proven that it was done intentionally, this would have to be decided in a court of law, we cannot make this assumption without a decision from the court, if it gets to that point.

Everything is a process, and must be followed. If these buyers are unhappy, and have confirmation via EGL etc., the first step is to contact the seller to try resolve the matter, i.e. get a refund. If the seller is willing to refund, then the buyer will be put back in the same position they were before the transaction. If the seller is unwilling to refund, then by all means bring it to our attention and provide us with the proof and we can intervene, and the buyer can also seek further legal redress. These are serious issues and we would need confirmation before just blacklisting the seller, generally we will approach the seller and issue a warning first if we have the proof of any wrongdoing, we then allow the seller to rectify their listings in order to continue selling on the site. Should it happen again, we can remove them from the site or disable them. This is at the discretion of bidorbuy and we will take the necessary action if we deem it is warranted.

This particular matter will no longer be discussed in public or on the forum. All discussions will in future have to be addressed off the forum, via our formal channels, like communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za or PM.

Thank you.

Celebrity Jewels

Thanks

Hi Cuan

Thank you - everybody deserves a chance to rectify a problem and that is a very fair comment from yourself.

Thank you as it seems that we are making progress here eventually. I would urge buyers with any issues as outlined here to contact community watch on the email that Cuan has given.

keep up the good work bidorbuy.

Regards

Brian

iffish20

Hi Everybody,

I have just had a Sapphire assessed here in the UK and it came back asdiffusion treated but was described as heat only. I have all the written certification for it from Anchor cert, British goverment recognised. It was purchased from one of the people being talked about in this forum. I have contacted this person and they have said I can return all Sapphires purchased for a refund, can't say farer than that, but I will be naming and posting the cert. if my money is not returned,

Regards

iffish20

aspoesterjie

Hi Everybody,

My sentiment's exactly, except that I "refuse" the refund, because if I do, it nullify's the whole object of the exercise, and I for one, will not buy "Gemstone's" on BidorBuy, ever again, unless they start doing something about this......,

regards,

Aspoesterjie

Celebrity Jewels

Clarify

Hello Aspoesterjie and other complainants

Lets start like the following as if we do not respect Bidorbuy's rules this post will be closed and at last we are getting somewhere here so I suggest:

1) Lets keep an open mind here as management have clearly stated that they have an undertaking to have customers refunded and we should be grateful that they are acting pro-actively and understand the problem.

2) At the same time any sellers involved will be very aware to do the rite thing in the future and given the chance to rectify the problem, may indeed start running a strait ship again. Let me just elabourate that in some instances a seller may purchase a stone and have a description given by the initial seller at source. They may be acting in good faith in their descriptions and could be just as shocked to discover that the were duped in the first place. I will give you an example when I once bought some green and blue ametrines and had bids flying in on them only to have a message from a buyer telling me to look into the stones as Ametrines are only naturally light orange to purple - basically take a citrine and combine with a amethyst. But indeed thay do not come in any other variations. I did my homework and found this to be fact and cancelled all bids and threw the stones away into the bin as useless fakes. It happens to the best of us and we gain knowledge by the day. I personally now have a good team advising me on my stones and thus have eliminated any chance that a sneaky hydrothermal could slip through the net.

3) Aspoesterjie, yes it does nullify the whole object but it is through posts like these that the whole Bidorbuy marketplace becomes a safer trading community. Get your refund and invest in stones that you are now much wiser about and it would actually be worse if you stood your ground refusing a refund on mere principle when you still have the chance to turn around your negative experience into a positive one indeed. I believe as you are one of my top customers that you have a pool of experts now and a circle of friends here to advise you on any future investments. It would be a shame for us to lose your business and the great buzz of the whole auction concept over a dud deal that the seller is now prepared to accept responsibility for and make amends. Think seriously about it.

4) Fact - I have been in touch with sellers, dealers and buyers worldwide and Bidorbuy is now recognised in the gemstone community as one of the top 3 trading platforms worldwide for auction gemstones. Well done Bidorbuy and the sellers that do honest trading here. I personally this week have sold to buyers in SA (mostly) but also the USA, Switzerland, Canada and can you believe it - Ethiopia! In the past I have sold to Auzzie, Saudi Arabia, Namibia, Ireland, England and Swaziland.

There are some amazing deals to be had and by the day this site is becoming safer to buy on. My suggestions for inexperienced buyers is to get familiar with the gemstone forum and look and learn from past posts and also if in doubt contact one of us here who post for a second opinion prior to making that impulse buy.

Wishing you all the best and if in doubt, we are here to answer.

Regards

Brian

Cali Craft and Gems

Hi

Out of curiousity, do you know that one can "make" your own Ametrine by using an Amethyst and a potato!?!

Apparently (according to the gemologists / supplier in Cape Town) you get the naturally formed Ametrine, and the "homemade" one - the easiest way to see the difference is that the natural one has the two colours flowing into each other, the "made" one has the two colours separated rather clearly.

Cut a slit into the potato and place a section of the Amethyst into the slit with the other "half" sticking out. Leave for a few days (the warmer the quicker the process) and remove after a while. The starch in the potato apparently "bleaches" the Amethyst leaving it the "Citrine" shade or lighter.

I do not know how much truth is in the matter as I have not tried it myself, but it is none the less still interesting to know.

Re the Orange / Blue "Ametrine" - this is merely Quartz which has had hydrothermal treatment. Not exactly "fake" but some pieces can be beautiful too - I have a stunning one in my collection.

Regards,

Cali Craft