GROOVIE COINS

Coin of the day

GROOVIE COINS
15 hours ago, Pierre_Henri said:

What is wrong with the ear?

The ear has a shadow, as if the planchard shifted while it was being struck.

It would appear as if 2016 is going to be an interesting year for errors. I will keep an eye out for any more.

regards Robert

Pierre_Henri
8 hours ago, GROOVIE COINS said:

The ear has a shadow, as if the planchard shifted while it was being struck.

It would appear as if 2016 is going to be an interesting year for errors. I will keep an eye out for any more.

regards Robert

It is nice to have eagle-eyed young collectors like you interested in modern issues. Some recent varieties spotted by other collectors are now acknowledged by NGC on their slabs. A collector friend of mine in Durban, Anthony Govender, is one of them with quite a few feathers in his cap!

Also, varieties like the pregnant Springbok and the tagged ear on the silver R1 are nothing new, but some collectors,  who like Anthony for example, bring this under the attention of the grading companies.

They (say NGC)  then give "official" recognition to the varieties, and that is wonderful.

Keep up the good work Robert.  

GROOVIE COINS
On 11/22/2019 at 5:56 PM, Pierre_Henri said:

It is nice to have eagle-eyed young collectors like you interested in modern issues. Some recent varieties spotted by other collectors are now acknowledged by NGC on their slabs. A collector friend of mine in Durban, Anthony Govender, is one of them with quite a few feathers in his cap!

Also, varieties like the pregnant Springbok and the tagged ear on the silver R1 are nothing new, but some collectors,  who like Anthony for example, bring this under the attention of the grading companies.

They (say NGC)  then give "official" recognition to the varieties, and that is wonderful.

Keep up the good work Robert.  

It brings me much joy and excitement when I pull change out of my pocket and something unique or different jumps out at me. Thanks for the compliment Pierre.

• Like 1

GROOVIE COINS

Today's coins of the day come from a sweet bowel kept at the front desk in our office.

They were tasty... 

regards RobertIMG_20200120_102920.thumb.jpg.beeee02fce5041d83ef58f44a4686f77.jpg

Edited by GROOVIE COINS

GROOVIE COINS

Good day collectors,

Today's coins of the day are two toned pieces.

The silver krugerrand I placed in a velvet bag a over year ago in storage. It's taken on slight purplish brown toning.

The second coin, a 1942 tickey for which the toning was totally unintentional. It was given as a gift and was silver white at first, but after months in storage, it developed beautiful leopard spots toning. The but the bag had staple holes in it, which is how air got to the coin.

Looking at the photo now,  I see a greenish hue which I haven't noticed previously, so I'm guessing that bag must be pvc and should be replaced. 

regards Robert

IMG_20200404_181314.jpg

• Like 1

JulRon8392

Hi there

Can anyone identify whether this is a  R1 Variety coin
Year: 1966
Denomination: R1
Afrikaans Legend
What is the estimated value?

Thank you.
Regards

IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

GROOVIE COINS
On 4/23/2020 at 1:11 AM, JulRon8392 said:

Hi there

Can anyone identify whether this is a  R1 Variety coin
Year: 1966
Denomination: R1
Afrikaans Legend
What is the estimated value?imageproxy.php?img=&key=fdd20f0c16456477

Thank you.
Regards

IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

Hello, it looks like a normal silver rand. I can't say I notice anything different.. I'm not sure if it would be considered proof like because of the mirror like surface.

These normally trade for about R100 these days. Sometimes a little more.

regards Robert.