GROOVIE COINS

Coin of the day

Cold Sea

My apologies, I meant the pattern pieces.

GROOVIE COINS
14 hours ago, Cold Sea said:

At last I have found it. This is a scan of the common first day cover showing the various designs, including the humpback R2. I do not have the scarce white first day cover, and was wondering whether this carries the same R2 design.

.  1415294632_R2hump.jpg.86363c5ea34643129e0d781af7bc54d4.jpg

I was actually lucky enough to come across another 2003 humpback R2 coin last week. Amazing how you start finding stuff when you actively check on a daily basis.

Cold Sea

It might also be interesting to figure out in which years these were issued, and whether both types were issued in the same years.

GROOVIE COINS

Good day

The two sparrows designed derived from Matthew 10: 29-31

29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.

30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.

31 Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.

Can you believe it, I received two 1c pieces in my change from the bank on Saturday? Now I wasn't surprised at all as about 5 years back it was a 2c that was given to me over the counter. 

It looks to be nearly 20 years since the cent was removed from circulation, but banks still hold on to them none the less. Heaven forbid they are ever faced with the dilemma of giving you a 10 cent piece if you are owed 2 cents.

Here is one of the cents alongside a farthing and half cent that share it's common reverse design. The cent still has a beautiful red patina.

regards Robert

IMG_20190223_141113.jpg

GROOVIE COINS

Good day

Today's coin of the day belongs to a friend who got this from circulation and showed off his first smiley.

With people hoarding these, one doesn't often come across them in circulation 19 years down the line. From the looks of this one, it must have been laying around somewhere before being placed into circulation again.

IMG_20190423_110012.jpg

IMG_20190423_110002.jpg

GROOVIE COINS

Good day

I received the 20 years of Freedom R5 in my change today. This coin has evaded me for five years so I was chuffed to finally get one in circulation. 

I might be wrong, but I do believe this might be the only coin that has South Africa thrice on in. 

Twice on the obverse and once on the reverse in just below all the dancing figures. 

Another possible candidate could be the 1992 Coinage protea rand depicts a mini R2 on the reverse which says Suid - Africa, with the English legend obscured. 

IMG_20190429_125543.jpg

IMG_20190429_125434.jpg

Edited by GROOVIE MOVIES

GROOVIE COINS

My second 2001 R5 that I've come across. Some books say a million of these were minted, NCG's website states 2million.

Either way not as common as other R5 where 60million are struck.

2002 still evades me to complete my old R5 with new arms set from 2000 to 2003.

IMG_20190502_154905.jpg

IMG_20190502_154821.jpg

GROOVIE COINS

Good day collectors

A friend showed me his Madiba R5 because he thought there was something wrong with it. He thought it had perhaps been a fake... I explained to him however the coin was genuine and had just seen some circulation, and perhaps in the last year it had been from Pretoria to Durbs and down to Cape Town on tour! The coin doesn't have heavy wear, it just looks as if it's lustre has faded and is dirt in-bedded.

IMG_20190606_124557.jpg

Edited by GROOVIE COINS

GROOVIE COINS

This was laying on my desk when I arrived at the office this morning. I was surprised to see it in circulation so soon after being officially released at a press statement last Tuesday.

IMG_20190612_081530.jpg

GROOVIE COINS

Good morning,

Another one of the new R2 coins. Celebrating children's rights.

I'd have to say, in my opinion this design surpasses the 1998 protea puzzle design.

IMG_20190625_081107.jpg

Edited by GROOVIE COINS

GROOVIE COINS

The coin for today is a 2016 R2 with an error on the snout of the Kudu. This is the second coin like this I have come across.

Will this error be as common as the 2003 humpback? Who nose (pun intended)! 

IMG_20190708_151815.jpg

GROOVIE COINS

Die sinker MJ Scheepers.

IMG_20190712_180019.jpg

IMG_20190712_180340.jpg

GROOVIE COINS
On 1/26/2019 at 9:31 AM, Cold Sea said:

I also found one in my change the other day and noticed there's no designer initials on the reverse (Mandela's face) of these coins. I found the same thing on the Griqua R5.  Not sure what to make of it.

Hello, check out my most recent photo. It appears to have the die sinker's initials MJS below the center of the collar or tie. You would need a jewellers loupe to see it. Truly I'm amazed at how tiny these inscriptions are becoming. 

regards Robert

GROOVIE COINS

Good morning

Today's coin is very odd indeed. My mom got it from the store and asked if I had one like this. Immediately it struck me as strange that the coin seemed uncirculated with very few scuff marks or scratches on it and upon closer inspection I found the details were very soft. A magnet confirmed my suspicions, this was a fake coin.

The first fake coin I've come across. 

The one of the right is genuine, the left one is the counterfeit.

IMG_20190901_200942.jpg

• Thanks 1

GROOVIE COINS

From the scuff marks it might be plated brass. Zinc plated perhaps. 

IMG_20190901_201031.jpg

• Thanks 1

GROOVIE COINS
On 9/2/2019 at 8:05 AM, GROOVIE COINS said:

The one of the right is genuine, the left one is the counterfeit.

Sorry I meant to say the left coin is genuine, and the right coin is the fake.

It can also be seen in the matt dull surface. No cartwheel lustre for the supposed new coin.

Pierre_Henri

Please weigh them and let us know their weights respectively. 

GROOVIE COINS
On 9/7/2019 at 1:22 PM, Pierre_Henri said:

Please weigh them and let us know their weights respectively. 

Hi Pierre, excuse the delay. I was out of town last week... The genuine coin comes in at 7g as expected and the fake at 6.6g

IMG_20190920_182406_799.jpg

GROOVIE COINS

This photo show 6.7g

I will send it off to SANGS at a later stage to have it slabbed for the novelty of it.

IMG_20190920_184005_278.jpg

Edited by GROOVIE COINS

Pierre_Henri

I obviously believe you, but it is beyond me why anyone would go through the trouble of faking a coin that is worth only R5 - how much would it cost one to reproduce a coin like that?

I know that the British One Pound Coin has been faked many times, so if the faker could find a way to reproduce them for less than the value of the actual coin, it could be worth there while ... one never knows. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/2796478/spot-fake-1-coin-old-round-pound-coin-circulation/

GROOVIE COINS
15 hours ago, Pierre_Henri said:

I obviously believe you, but it is beyond me why anyone would go through the trouble of faking a coin that is worth only R5 - how much would it cost one to reproduce a coin like that?

I know that the British One Pound Coin has been faked many times, so if the faker could find a way to reproduce them for less than the value of the actual coin, it could be worth there while ... one never knows. 

I'm surprised the bi-metal one pound coin was able to be forged as bi-metal was supposed to be the answer to all fakes! 

Let us do an assessment. 

The AU state of the coin tells me it wasn't in circulation for long.

As you mentioned the face value of the coin doesn't warrant the expense of forgery. Even if large numbers of these counterfeits were produced, the means of getting such large volumes into circulation without raising eyebrows would also prove to be an obstacle. 
For general circulation, one would think the nickel wildebees R5 (which from news articles I have read, was a problem) would be a logical step as it wouldn't draw as much suspicion as a 25 year old commemorative coin. 

It is thus unlikely this intended for general circulation, but probably for the collector or numismatic market where it could fetch a higher price. As hard as this is to believe not all collectors have a trained eye and I must admit had this been a wilderbees R5 the tell tale signs, soft features and no cartwheel lustre, would have probably slipped by me. Ironically this coin has the wave on the crest on the obverse which I've read was a way of spotting fakes before the bi-metal R5. 

I recall before the 2000 smileys were the rage, these Presidential R5 were hot commodities so chances are this forgery could have been from that period between 94 and early 2000s. Perhaps it was stored away somewhere before being inadvertently put into circulation.

Regards Robert 

Edited by GROOVIE COINS

GROOVIE COINS

I think it was one of these articles I read where the advice given was to look out for the wave in the center of the crest. As I understand it the wave should always be present, even on worn corns.

GROOVIE COINS

Thus far I've come across two snout kudus, and now another 2016 error, this time on the ear of the Kudu.

2016 R2.jpg

2016 R2 ear vs snout.jpg

Pierre_Henri
On 11/18/2019 at 12:19 PM, GROOVIE COINS said:

Thus far I've come across two snout kudus, and now another 2016 error, this time on the ear of the Kudu.

2016 R2.jpg

2016 R2 ear vs snout.jpg

What is wrong with the ear?