Sign in to follow this  
seahorsefanatic

Sellers Listing At Heavily Inflated Prices

voldermort

Mr Gibbons states that these stamps well centred, with light cancellations demand a 25% increase.

In my opinion both stamps qualify for this.

You are of course entitled to your own opinion, however seeing as many of these stamps have passed through my hands over the years I do believe I have enough knowledge to know what is in my opinion a well centred, with light cancellation stamp when I see it, especially for this particular issue. Thus my stamps are accordingly priced.

As all of the items I am selling are my items, in my possession ,and I am the one placing my ads I do believe that it is my description, however humble, described to the best of my ability, that counts.

Imagine you are writing a story - what I believe to be a beautiful summers day may in your opinion be too hot and humid, however if I am the one writing the story it will be my opinion that will count, if however you write your own story then you are free to describe the day as you see fit.

I do believe that one of the most important reasons that ads have images is so that prospective buyers are able to see items and judge for themselves.

I shall not be getting into any debates over light blue, very light blue, blue etc, over used stamps of this period. All my images are clear enough for colours to be seen.

I have given my honest opinion in all of my ads, it is up to any prospective buyer to decide if they agree with me & whether they are willing to purchase the items or not.

In the future, if & when I decide to get certificates for any stamps I shall do so at my own discretion or if I have any prospective buyers who require certificates, I am quite capable of dealing with them myself.

qball

Hi All

Please be advised that the forum is here for everyone's education and enjoyment, personal attacks and arguing with posters will not be tolerated. If it continues the post will be locked and removed.

Thank you all for your co-operation in this regard.

Cuan

Badajoz

Colorimetry is a complex science and applying it to digital photography and digital scanning to get accurate reproduction is time-consuming and very expensive. Mostly this doesn't matter too much, but with the QV issues printed in fugitive inks it is critical - a washed stamp is worthless. For this reason I'll never buy any of these items through the Internet unless the price convinces me to take a chance, or the displayed image includes a colour key.

librashares
Hi seahorsefanatic,

If you can supply proof to bidorbuy, please report it to community watch.

1. The following policies apply to all listings and are strictly prohibited:

1.1. Misrepresentation of items including:

1.1.1 Creating titles and descriptions that do not accurately describe the item for sale.

Thank you.

I think it is high time this topic is brought into the spotlight again.I am again seeing items with descriptions and prices that deliberately seek to mislead buyers into believing that they are bidding on an item that is scarce or is somehow misprinted or has an omission that makes the item scarce. A single copy of the 2004 "Virtual" Stamp label, which has no Barcode or Value imprint is bein offered at over R300 with the description "Value Omitted", implying that there exists some kind of error on this stamp. These stamps were distributed to only 4 offices in Gauteng in 2004, in rolls of 1000 as shown in the photo. Approximately 20 rolls were sent to each office. Quantities of these stamps appeared on the market after the cessation of the post office experiment, and are readily available from dealers at R150 each, sometimes less if multiples are purchased .If the price of R300+ was correct, the illustrated roll would be worth R300 000.00- simply ridiculous! The scarce stamps are in fact those with values and barcodes printed, very few of which were sold and kept as unused on the waxy backing roll.A strip of three 20cent stamps sold at Stefan Welz for R2700 in April 2007! Recently a R4.00 copy on cover to Australia fetched R1900 on Bidorbuy.

58f5a7216869f_VirtualRoll..jpg.841adfeb07d2e80a023d4fb926fe47ec.jpg

Jacques Kuun

Hello Charles

Nice to have some input from you again. I really thought that you have emigrated!

I only own one virtual stamp (used) which I am keeping just as a reference.

Would it not be possible for you to open a different thread and give us plebs a bit of education on the Virtual Stamps. Right now there seems to be just about zero knowledge on the subject – perhaps the reason why the prices obtained are so inconsistent.

I honestly believe that the R1 900-00 obtained for the Used R4-00 on cover was not that high, if the overall characteristics (and thus the rarity) of the cover is considered. BidorBuy really brought modern RSA back into the front of collecting.

I hope to see you at the Sandton Fair.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

mrspagel

Hi all, I'm also a very new stamp collector. I attended a meeting a few weeks ago where an "expert" from Stellenbosch explained more about PERFINS. As I understoot it, big companies bought stamps and punched holes (PERFINS) into the stamps to "advertise" their companies. I eg have a stamp SACC 65 I thought was "marked" "R VI" but the "expert" told me it stands for "RM" R Muller (the music shop). Luckily I did not pay much for the stamp.

Jacques Kuun

Hello mrspagel

In the “old days”, unused stamps were considered as legal tender – it could be taken back to the post office and exchanged for cash.

To minimise pilfering of their stamp supplies (remember that virtually all correspondence went by mail), big companies used to punch their initials on their stamps, thus making it impossible for staff to score a penny or ten.

Some collectors do collect perfins. It is a very specialized field and perfins are not always worthless.

Your R Muller stamp is now not just another stamp. It is a stamp that tells a story!

Regards

Jacques

Edited by dstorm