Sign in to follow this  
multi collection

Black Spot after receiving the Ngc Grading

multi collection

Dear Coin Collectors

I have a coin send to Ngc for Grading

After Grading the coin still in perfect condition, but after few months later, seems like the coin produce black spot by itself. 

I store the coin in Ngc Storage Box, I have no idea where is black spot come from.

20180725_220757_1_2.jpg

jwither

If the holder material happens to have some foreign substance (visible or not), it may come into contact with the coin and cause what you see.  I have read claims on the NGC Message Boards where this has happened on occasion.  You can contact NGC and ask them if they will provide compensation though I cannot tell you if they will do so.  They will have the image immediately after grading (available on their website) for comparison.

Another possibility is the storage environment.  Considering the short time period since you had it graded, I consider it unlikely but the holders are not completely air tight.

GROOVIE MOVIES

Good day

15 hours ago, jwither said:

If the holder material happens to have some foreign substance (visible or not), it may come into contact with the coin and cause what you see.  I have read claims on the NGC Message Boards where this has happened on occasion.  You can contact NGC and ask them if they will provide compensation though I cannot tell you if they will do so.  They will have the image immediately after grading (available on their website) for comparison.

Another possibility is the storage environment.  Considering the short time period since you had it graded, I consider it unlikely but the holders are not completely air tight.

I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I recall reading somewhere that slabs are filled with a inert gas (either argon or nitrogen, not sure) prior to being sealed. This is to prevent common air from oxidizing the coin. 

Do you know if there is any truth to this if a myth? 

I've found grading my first grading experience somewhat disappointing. I sent a silver 1993 banking rand (what I considered to be beautiful gold like/brown toning) to SANGS. For some reason I removed it from its original capsule prior to sending the coin, a decision I now regret and placed it in a money bag. To cut a long story short, my coins were delayed from being sent their grading facility in Johannesburg, and laid at their Cape Town branch for about 4 weeks. Upon, receiving my coins back, their toning had changed somewhat. My silver banking rand no longer had the specific goldlike toning, but seamed washed out. At first I suspected that they might have been switched, but after I could tell they were mine from their inherent defects that are visible under loop. The experience has left me cautious about sending my coins away for grading again. 

regards Robert

jwither

I own somewhat over 200 graded coins now, all but one NGC or PCGS.  In the past, I have owned several hundred more subsequently since sold, the vast majority also NGC or PCGS. there MIGHT be a few that have changed, I cannot confirm it because I don't remember the exact appearance for my entire collection throughout the time I owned the coins.

I have never heard that NGC or PCGS insert inert gas into the holder.  But whether they do or not, I don't see that it would prevent what I described.  The capsules are not always absolutely air tight which means that on occasion a coin change in the holder.  It will happen from a combination of , the holder being impropoerly sealed, the storage environment and outside contaminents entering the holder and chemically reacting with the coin.

For those who are skeptical, go read the NGC and PCGS grading guarantees for copper and bronze.  I don't know the specifics since I have never read it but comments on US coin forums on numerous occasions have stated that the grading guarantee is weaker or much weaker versus the past.  By this, I mean the compensation paid if a RD coin changes to RB or BN.  

If this doesn't happen, why would the guarantee change?

jwither
1 hour ago, GROOVIE MOVIES said:

I've found grading my first grading experience somewhat disappointing. I sent a silver 1993 banking rand (what I considered to be beautiful gold like/brown toning) to SANGS. For some reason I removed it from its original capsule prior to sending the coin, a decision I now regret and placed it in a money bag. To cut a long story short, my coins were delayed from being sent their grading facility in Johannesburg, and laid at their Cape Town branch for about 4 weeks. Upon, receiving my coins back, their toning had changed somewhat. My silver banking rand no longer had the specific goldlike toning, but seamed washed out. At first I suspected that they might have been switched, but after I could tell they were mine from their inherent defects that are visible under loop. The experience has left me cautious about sending my coins away for grading again. 

regards Robert

I omitted comment on this part of your post.

It sounds as if SANGS attempted to "improve" your coin by dipping it before it was graded.  Or maybe SANGS will remove residue that they believe will adversely impact a coin at some point.  I have no idea but don't have another explanation.

I have never submitted coins to PCGS but NGC will not grade coins with PVC residue.  It must first be conserved to remove it but the collector presumably must identify it themselves and send it to NCS first.  Otherwise to my knowledge, NGC will charge the submitter the grading fee and send the coin back ungraded.  I can't confirm definitively this is the current practice now but it used to be in the past.

GROOVIE MOVIES
5 hours ago, jwither said:

I have never heard that NGC or PCGS insert inert gas into the holder.  But whether they do or not, I don't see that it would prevent what I described.  The capsules are not always absolutely air tight which means that on occasion a coin change in the holder.  It will happen from a combination of , the holder being impropoerly sealed, the storage environment and outside contaminents entering the holder and chemically reacting with the coin.

I don't know, perhaps I've been breathing in too much argon gas! I got this from SANGS website

"Encapsulation 

Ø  Coins will be encapsulated in clear acrylic capsule that includes all the relevant details.
Ø  The capsules will be rendered “tamper proof” by sealing them via an ultrasonic welding system."

multi collection
Posted (edited)

I think is handing issue during the grading. Maybe NGC storage environment is not properly or NGC auditor and the guy who sealed the slab are too careless when touch/holding the coin.

Edited by multi collection