Sign in to follow this  
GROOVIE MOVIES

New 2018 Madiba R5, busy as a bee!

GROOVIE MOVIES

Good evening.

Who has seen the new Madiba R5? Thus far only a black and white depiction or low resolution images have been released by the SA mint and I've been eager to see an actual photo of the coin. So finally my curiosity has been put to rest as listings find their way to  BOB with quality photos and I have to say this is certainly the busiest coin I've ever seen! Just when I thought our existing monopoly looking notes couldn't be trumped!

We talking diamond patterns, horizontal lines, zig-zag boarders and to top it off hologram dates! All the wording is totally lost in the chaos of all the shapes and patterns and I'm affraid to say makes the coin a bit of an eye sore. The image of a nonagernarian is already very busy with all the ehanced features the person has aquired over the years, so all sorts of patterns only serves to distract.

Even looking at last years' OR Tambo airport R5, it seems like busy is in. We were spoiled with pretty coins when we got the Union building R2 and Griqua R5, and I disregarded OR Tambo as one missed hit. Ha! 2018 R5 proves ugly is back in fashion. The astetics fall short of the 2000 Madiba smiley by a mile! 

regards Robert

Mike Klee

Robert, I have to agree with you. Somebody forgot that "simple is beautiful". I personally find it offensive to the memory of  "The Great Man" and a tragedy that this specific depiction on the obverse has to rank as the most unaesthetically-pleasing image to be found on any coin I have ever seen. The obverse of this latest R5 coin is so badly designed that it is just plain ugly.

GROOVIE MOVIES

4 hours ago, Mike Klee said:

Robert, I have to agree with you. Somebody forgot that "simple is beautiful". I personally find it offensive to the memory of  "The Great Man" and a tragedy that this specific depiction on the obverse has to rank as the most unaesthetically-pleasing image to be found on any coin I have ever seen. The obverse of this latest R5 coin is so badly designed that it is just plain ugly.

Hi Mike, I can see the SA mint was trying to push the envelope with the latest security hologram technology on the dates, though I don't know if R5 are forged anymore seeing as you can't even buy a chocolate with one.

This is such a fail, somebody high up the management chain should have looked at these coins and said stop production! I don't see people holding onto it with pride as they have done with the previous Madiba coins.

regards Robert

Coin Database

Agreed Robert. It almost feels as if someone's imagination ran away with them when designing this coin. Personally I also think there is too much going on and do not find it attractive.

GROOVIE MOVIES

Just to add. 

If you look at the 2017 Oliver Tambo R50 silver crown, which incorporates the same concept of ethnic zig zag patterns, however this coin actually pulls it off and looks much more appealing. Firstly all the different patterns follow the same diagonal direction in the background of the coin, thus looking much tidier and don't distract from the face depicted. The border fields that surround the coin is smooth and uncluttered so the wording is legible and clear. The effigy of Tambo also pops out of the coin, beyond the center and fills into the clear border fields and thus is the focus of the coin. This coin shows how ethnic patterns can be done well on a coin and how they are just overkill on the new Madiba R5.

regards Robert

GROOVIE MOVIES

To illustrate, I've borrowed two photos currently listed on BOB. I hope the owners of them do not mind.

Tambo crown vs Madiba R5.jpg

Pierre_Henri

Ugly as they come ...