Sign in to follow this  
Coin Database

South African Banknote Directory

Coin Database

Here is a project I have been working on for some time.

I have created a more comprehensive guide on South African Banknotes issued by the South African Reserve bank from 1921 to date.

I have tried, as far as possible to record dates and languages on all note series.

The guide is rather big with 363 pages.

Can be viewed or downloaded at: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jd5kDBrVV1SAPOkylKPP_puI-TAmlZr-

Hope some may find it useful.

• Thanks 1

GROOVIE MOVIES

Good show Rian. 

You've even included the new notes being officially released later this month that have already seemed to have found their way into circulation since last month. 

I don't know much about the numismatics on notes as I've always accepted this to be a more veteran hobby, once a coin collector has garnished more experience, but do you mind if I give my two cents? 

I just briefly browsed through the document and I found it very comprehensive and thorough. Would you consider giving a bit of a background on the notes here and there, even if it's a trivia side note (pun intended)? eg. This series was not put into circulation in 1999 as the colour was not up to spec. Or the lion on the R50 note from 1992 to 2004 is also depicted on the commemorative 1993 banking silver protea rand.  

Do you intend on publishing your work? I think it would spur on interest in paper money collecting. There is a myriad of detail and information about notes coin collectors don't often grasp, such as the varieties that is not known about. I just glanced through you work and picked up their was a variety in the pink/green colour of the reverse on the R50 note, something I didn't even notice before.

Keep up the good work

regards Robert

Coin Database
4 hours ago, GROOVIE MOVIES said:

Good show Rian. 

You've even included the new notes being officially released later this month that have already seemed to have found their way into circulation since last month. 

I don't know much about the numismatics on notes as I've always accepted this to be a more veteran hobby, once a coin collector has garnished more experience, but do you mind if I give my two cents? 

I just briefly browsed through the document and I found it very comprehensive and thorough. Would you consider giving a bit of a background on the notes here and there, even if it's a trivia side note (pun intended)? eg. This series was not put into circulation in 1999 as the colour was not up to spec. Or the lion on the R50 note from 1992 to 2004 is also depicted on the commemorative 1993 banking silver protea rand.  

Do you intend on publishing your work? I think it would spur on interest in paper money collecting. There is a myriad of detail and information about notes coin collectors don't often grasp, such as the varieties that is not known about. I just glanced through you work and picked up their was a variety in the pink/green colour of the reverse on the R50 note, something I didn't even notice before.

Keep up the good work

regards Robert

Thank you for the kind words Robert!

I will add some additional information as requested and upload a new version soon.

No, I have no plans to publish the work. Currently, I am still looking to locate some notes as there are still a few gaps here or there in the dates I need to verify and add. So, I am regularly uploading new revisions. I am circulating the guide in electronic format free and this makes it easier (and cheaper) for people to get updated copies.

I am truly hoping that this guide will help collectors and also attract newcomers to the hobby.