Sign in to follow this  
Coin Database

NGCcoin Limiting Coin Lookups

Coin Database
Posted (edited)

Anyone noticed that NGCcoin is now limiting coin lookups / verifications to only 8 checks, whether you are a registered member or not?

This may have an adverse effect on all NGC graded coins going forward.

I have already heard some dealers abroad considering sending clients with NGC graded coins to get it regraded at places like PCGS.

I for one also buy a number of NGC graded coins on a daily basis from a number of platforms. If they do not lift this limits, I too may no longer be interested in these coins if I cannot verify the authenticity thereof - especially where I cannot see the actual coin physically.

Edited by Coin Database

jwither

I am not aware of your observation.  I was aware that NGC now requires knowing the coin specifics (date, denomination, country) in addition to the certification number to perform the look-up.  The consensus opinion in the US seems to be that this is a protective measure against counterfeit holders.

For those who are not aware of this problem, sometimes the coin in the holder is also counterfeit but more often, it seems to be a genuine but over graded coin in a fake holder.  I have never heard of this happening with a non-US coin (though it presumably does on occasion) and only heard of specific examples involving a PCGS holder, not NGC.

Coin Database
10 hours ago, jwither said:

I am not aware of your observation.  I was aware that NGC now requires knowing the coin specifics (date, denomination, country) in addition to the certification number to perform the look-up.  The consensus opinion in the US seems to be that this is a protective measure against counterfeit holders.

For those who are not aware of this problem, sometimes the coin in the holder is also counterfeit but more often, it seems to be a genuine but over graded coin in a fake holder.  I have never heard of this happening with a non-US coin (though it presumably does on occasion) and only heard of specific examples involving a PCGS holder, not NGC.

Yes, like I said only some will be affected. Rather your more serious collectors who buys quite a bit on a daily basis. I buy more than 10 slabbed coins a day from across the globe and rely on NGC to check the slab and coin since the sellers are in China, USA, Russia, Europe, UK, etc. I have been affected.

To answer your question about non-US coins, last month I have reported 7 fake slabbed Krugerrands and 8 different other SA coins on 4 different sales platforms.

But, since I stopped collecting NGC coins and only do PCGS for now, I seem to be receiving much better quality coins in my opinion. I am also now awaiting 4 coins where the sellers in the US were told sales will be confirmed only upon regrade with PCGS. Most actually goes with this.

jwither
5 hours ago, Coin Database said:

Yes, like I said only some will be affected. Rather your more serious collectors who buys quite a bit on a daily basis. I buy more than 10 slabbed coins a day from across the globe and rely on NGC to check the slab and coin since the sellers are in China, USA, Russia, Europe, UK, etc. I have been affected.

To answer your question about non-US coins, last month I have reported 7 fake slabbed Krugerrands and 8 different other SA coins on 4 different sales platforms.

But, since I stopped collecting NGC coins and only do PCGS for now, I seem to be receiving much better quality coins in my opinion. I am also now awaiting 4 coins where the sellers in the US were told sales will be confirmed only upon regrade with PCGS. Most actually goes with this.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ngc-limiting-coin-lookups-verifications.318528/

Here is commentary on this subject from another coin forum.

I don't see anyone other than a dealer being affected by this practice.  I have never heard of any collector buying 10 coins practically every day or anywhere near it.