Sign in to follow this  
GROOVIE MOVIES

1962 Decimal video

GROOVIE MOVIES

An interesting video from 1962 about the change over from the imperial Pound and shilling to the Rand and decimal system and the campaign to educate people about the new currency.

Another interesting point is seeing those familiar mint boxes being prepared and inspected straight off the press and how brand new they look.

Pierre_Henri

This is fantastic - where did you get it?

GROOVIE MOVIES
21 hours ago, Pierre_Henri said:

This is fantastic - where did you get it?

From youtube. I believe I once searched for videos on Decimal Dan after reading about the change over to the decimal system. 

What I find fascinating as well, is how life was like in 1962 considering that's my mom's birth year. The clothes, styles, supermarkets, the cars... This video opens up a point of view to another time era... 

regards Robert

Pierre_Henri

Thanks Robert

Have a look here

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/264528416/1964_1965_New_Coinage_of_the_Republic_of_South_Africa_Original_Information_Posters.html

Professor Francois Malan bought that 2 beautiful posters and you will see similar items in the video. His book on the  2nd decimal, RSA coin series is the standard work on the change over period for SA coin collectors.  

Ken Bezuidenhout from Gauteng  is also a huge collector of the decimalization  change-over period - I am sure he will also enjoy the video - I will send him the link.

Regards and thank you again

Pierre

GROOVIE MOVIES
On 4/30/2018 at 5:55 PM, Pierre_Henri said:

Thanks Robert

Have a look here

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/264528416/1964_1965_New_Coinage_of_the_Republic_of_South_Africa_Original_Information_Posters.html

Professor Francois Malan bought that 2 beautiful posters and you will see similar items in the video. His book on the  2nd decimal, RSA coin series is the standard work on the change over period for SA coin collectors.  

Ken Bezuidenhout from Gauteng  is also a huge collector of the decimalization  change-over period - I am sure he will also enjoy the video - I will send him the link.

Regards and thank you again

Pierre

From these posters I see the rand and 50cent pieces were released or came into effect 8 March and the one cent 10 May. But seeing as less than 2000 one cent coins were minted in 65 it probably didn't make a difference. The poster also shows a half crown along side the rest of the coins. I wonder if that could mean half crowns were still commonly circulated up until the change over to the second decimals 5 years since they were last minted? I just assumed by 64/65 half crowns weren't used anymore.

regards Robert 

Coin Database
On 5/1/2018 at 9:28 PM, GROOVIE MOVIES said:

From these posters I see the rand and 50cent pieces were released or came into effect 8 March and the one cent 10 May. But seeing as less than 2000 one cent coins were minted in 65 it probably didn't make a difference. The poster also shows a half crown along side the rest of the coins. I wonder if that could mean half crowns were still commonly circulated up until the change over to the second decimals 5 years since they were last minted? I just assumed by 64/65 half crowns weren't used anymore.

regards Robert 

I have read a couple of articles in Bickles magazine that spanned between 1964 and 1966. It appears that all new 1965 coins, with the exception of the 1c, 50c and R1 were released in 1965 and early 1966. It seems there were backlogs and the Mint could not complete the mintages for the 1c, for which 51 million were planned (if I remember correctly), the 50c and the R1. So, they decided not to place these coins into circulation. Bickles also mentioned that most Afrikaans 1c coins were made for vending machine operators to convert machines to be compatible with the new 1c coins.