Sign in to follow this  
EWAAN Galleries

1894 Gold 3p advertised on Facebook? What is it worth?

EWAAN Galleries

Hi All

I heard the 1894 Gold 3p is being offered on Facebook for around R2m. I remember being the underbidder at around R4m on The Heritage Auction... seems the coin is already down 50% and no buyers even at this price... any clue as to what the sellers will accept - as I may have a client - I don’t really follow Facebook so no clue who the sellers are....items like this should be listed on Bid or Buy in my opinion and not Facebook....

jwither

I'm not familiar with the 18943P, only the 6P.

I also checked the Heritage archives and see no sale.  There was a sale of the 1897 gold 6P which realized $329,000 including buyer's fee if this is the coin you have in mind.

On the price, the 1897 was a PR-63.  Accounting for the weaker market from three years ago and a smaller coins, I'd guesstimate it should be worth maybe 50% to 60%, though as discussed a few days ago, maybe somewhat more in South Africa.

I'm not sure why anyone would advertise a coin like this on Facebook but I wouldn't buy it without knowing the seller.  If you want to buy it but don't know who they are, ask them if they are willing to go through a third party you trust.  It will cost them a fee and this is the only motive I can see for avoiding BoB or another traditional source.

EWAAN Galleries
10 hours ago, jwither said:

I'm not familiar with the 18943P, only the 6P.

I also checked the Heritage archives and see no sale.  There was a sale of the 1897 gold 6P which realized $329,000 including buyer's fee if this is the coin you have in mind.

On the price, the 1897 was a PR-63.  Accounting for the weaker market from three years ago and a smaller coins, I'd guesstimate it should be worth maybe 50% to 60%, though as discussed a few days ago, maybe somewhat more in South Africa.

I'm not sure why anyone would advertise a coin like this on Facebook but I wouldn't buy it without knowing the seller.  If you want to buy it but don't know who they are, ask them if they are willing to go through a third party you trust.  It will cost them a fee and this is the only motive I can see for avoiding BoB or another traditional source.

Thanks for correcting - I actually have no clue how Facebook works and don't really care - just heard of this coin hence asking - yes this coin should be sold or advertised on bid or buy....

Pierre_Henri
On 2/27/2018 at 7:59 AM, EWAAN Galleries said:

Thanks for correcting - I actually have no clue how Facebook works and don't really care - just heard of this coin hence asking - yes this coin should be sold or advertised on bid or buy....

https://www.facebook.com/EwaanGalleries

Someone is using your facebook page to promote coins Ewaan ... not sure who they are?

Coin Database
On 2/26/2018 at 9:28 AM, EWAAN Galleries said:

Hi All

I heard the 1894 Gold 3p is being offered on Facebook for around R2m. I remember being the underbidder at around R4m on The Heritage Auction... seems the coin is already down 50% and no buyers even at this price... any clue as to what the sellers will accept - as I may have a client - I don’t really follow Facebook so no clue who the sellers are....items like this should be listed on Bid or Buy in my opinion and not Facebook....

Ewaan, contact Johan Gouws. He is looking at getting R3m, if I am not mistaken but placed a Facebook post stating that people can start offers at R2m, but he reserves the right to reject any offer below R3m. He mentioned that his coin was sent to SANGS for analysis and they confirmed that it was the same composites as the one in the Museum. 

Edited by Coin Database

EWAAN Galleries
12 hours ago, Coin Database said:

Ewaan, contact Johan Gouws. He is looking at getting R3m, if I am not mistaken but placed a Facebook post stating that people can start offers at R2m, but he reserves the right to reject any offer below R3m. He mentioned that his coin was sent to SANGS for analysis and they confirmed that it was the same composites as the one in the Museum. 

oh I see so its not the same coin in the Heritage Auction - in that case my client will never buy SANGS graded coins - ONLY NGC and PCGS

We have up to date have never once sold a SANGS graded....

EWAAN Galleries
14 hours ago, Pierre_Henri said:

Someone is using your facebook page to promote coins Ewaan ... not sure who they are?

yes we used designers to do this a while ago -  I personally do not use Facebook...

Many thanks for pointing out pal as I had no clue - I have now deactivated the account  - really appreciate it - Peace Brother :)

Coin Database
11 hours ago, EWAAN Galleries said:

oh I see so its not the same coin in the Heritage Auction - in that case my client will never buy SANGS graded coins - ONLY NGC and PCGS

We have up to date have never once sold a SANGS graded....

I don't know, but I do not think the coin is graded if I look at his pictures. He only sent it in for analysis to determine the composition.

Pierre_Henri
On 2/28/2018 at 8:13 PM, Coin Database said:

On what Facebook post or page  did Johan Gouws state that? 

Where did he mention that the coin was send to SANGS for analysis?

When and where  did Sangs confirm it was the same composites?

(What on earth does that mean in any case - what composites?)

And lastly ..... WHAT museum where Sangs referring to? 

Please reply to these posts as we have absolutely no idea what om earth you are referring to? 

Who are you?

Coin Database
17 hours ago, Pierre_Henri said:

On what Facebook post or page  did Johan Gouws state that? 

Where did he mention that the coin was send to SANGS for analysis?

When and where  did Sangs confirm it was the same composites?

(What on earth does that mean in any case - what composites?)

And lastly ..... WHAT museum where Sangs referring to? 

Please reply to these posts as we have absolutely no idea what om earth you are referring to? 

Who are you?

Just contact Johan. He is selling it and will provide you with all the answers you need.

Pierre_Henri

I am asking you - why shy away?