Sign in to follow this  
GROOVIE MOVIES

Van Niekerk Forgery Pond

GROOVIE MOVIES

Good day all

Today I came across an intriguing listing of a restrike/forgery 1900 Pond. As per the listing (see link below) it was struck in 1976 in 22ct from original dies. The gold coin was graded by SANGS as Van Niekerk Forgery.

Does anybody know the history behind this coin and how SANGS could tell that it was a restrike when it was struck from the original die?

Is it the coin's pristine condition that gives it's game away? Looks like quite a deep strike for a gold coin, almost proof mirror like fields. Perhaps it was double struck?

When I look at other gold ponde in MS condition, I see the eagle doesn't have nearly as much detail as this coin exhibits. 

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/326527362/1900_ZAR_Kruger_Pond_Restrike_Uncirculated.html

regards Robert

Mike Klee

The "fake"/modern restrike of the 1900 ponde were too perfect insofar as the eagle's talons appear to be in perfect detail, whereas the genuine 1900 ponde had barely visible talons - due to the wearing of the dies. My take on the matter is that the forger touched up the talons on the original dies to make his modern reproductions flawless. As an artist and perfectionist, he ultimately shot himself in the foot....

GROOVIE MOVIES

Thank you, I suspected that it looked too perfect. After seeing this pond, I started looking up other 1900 pond and saw all of them showed almost no detail on the breast of the eagle as well. 

Do you know what the motivation behind the forgery/restrike was. Surely an artist with the talent to touch up dies and the sense to restrike the coin in 22ct gold would have known he would not been able to pass the coin off as an original? 

Perhaps it was to catch out people who weren't familiar with ZAR coins? Considering there was no internet back in the 70s...

Pierre_Henri

Hi Groovie Mooves

In 1968 one Gerhard van Niekerk caused great excitement in the numismatic fraternity in Sourth Africa .

He said that he had found the legendary Kruger Millions in Europe, and brought them back to South Africa   ...

Page3.jpg

Page2.jpg

Page1.jpg

Pierre_Henri

The 3 pages above are turned around - please read from bottom up ...

GROOVIE MOVIES

Pierre jy maak my dag!

This is stuff of legend. I couldn't contain my laughter. His womanizing was his downfall! 

Had to share with a few people in the office... 

Thanks.