Sign in to follow this  
BumbleBee

Little voice warning me about seller shooters

Little Miss Muffet

I have been following this "Shooters issue" closely and cant understand how people can do this and think they cant be caught.

It is like a robber who walks into the bank,holds up the cashiers and before he leaves he says "here is my name,address and telephone number in case you want to arrest me."

Stupid:rolleyes:

Bargain Bin
I'm not sure that we should be judging BoB too harshly. Several months ago I bought a bottle of perfume (for several hundred Rands) and BoB immediately sent me an email warning me that the Seller was being blacklisted and I should not be in a hurry to pay any funds over. (I had already paid and, fortunately for me, I got the perfume - never mind that its name is "Poison" lol). But that Seller remains blacklisted to this day. ;)

I'm well aware of this, they've done this in this week when I bought items from a suspected scammer. I reported the seller (Items for sale from DrPienaar on bidorbuy.co.za) and within half an hour I received a warning from BoB and the seller was blacklisted. This is not meant to judge BoB in any way. Just a simple question:

WHY HAVEN'T THEY DONE IT IN THIS CASE?

Why are there still buyers out there with no clue that they've been taken for a ride?

Now the guy I reported was an obvious scammer with shooters there was always still a little bit of hope, but now it's been confirmed and reconfirmed and reconfirmed that we got scammed. I mean hell this girl is sitting behind bars and still no mail from BoB. Why would that be? Did somebody simply forgot to send the mail?

From what I've read in this thread and on this forum this type of thing happens on a semi regular basis on BoB obviously not on this scale (and I’m sure more often than that on similar less regulated sites) but, I've seen three suspected scammers blacklisted just in the time since THIS thread has been opened. The guy I reported managed to get money from only one person as far as I can tell but that is one too many.

Now this is just a suggestion but BoB should seriously consider getting a policy in place for this type of thing. Maybe send the initial mail warning the buyers that the seller has been blacklisted due to suspicious activity and not to pay over any money until the matter has been resolved. Once it is confirmed that the seller was indeed a scammer send a second mail with detailed instructions on what protocol/ course of action to follow if you did pay over any money. Something like a “how to guide” for people that suspect they got scammed. I’m sure Morne has more than ample experience dealing with these type of things to get something like that in place without any real effort.

Give the victims ALL the assistance they require and do everything in your power to get convictions even for the smallest amount because it looks like these criminals think of BoB as a soft target you/we cannot allow that to happen.

Speaking for myself I felt pretty helpless/foolish when I realised I got scammed and TOTALLY frustrated with lack of real support or guidance from BoB’s side. When this thread was closed after a couple of tough questions was asked and Dave69’s (I think) thread and my own got deleted without any explanation I felt even more victimised not even to mention totally p.... off and these feelings weren’t aimed at the scammers but at BoB. This resulted in 2 or 3 of my posts being deleted from this thread after they reopened it.

Now all of this could have been avoided if I only received some assistance or guidance from BoB. Like I said before I don’t get conned every month but I DO buy and sell something on BoB every month. There are plenty information available on “how to become a seller” “how to buy on BoB” but maybe I’m looking in the wrong places but I could not find anything on “how to proceed if you get conned”

So management PLEASE consider the above proposal and give us something more than:

“Dear Client

Please note you need to open a case of theft against the seller at your local SAPS and provide them with the banking details you paid the funds into.

Please ask the officer at the police station to contact our security department on 011-3670000 for more information on the seller

Kind regards”

JustinRT

check this link out 2 women held for internet fraud: News24: SouthAfrica: News

seems the amount referred to in these threads are just a drop in the ocean!! Likelihood of getting funds back are zero!

Also did anyone pay into a SBSA account for this clown? I remember her banking details supplied were originally FNB "CJ Brits" however the branch code supplied would not work when I made payment so I called her and she gave me SBSA banking details " LJ Van Der Velde" - I have printed all the stuff for my charges

admin

Hi JustinRT,

Looks like somebody got their "facts" a bit messed up. ;)

I have just had a shouting match with the SAPA - who couldn't be bothered to check the facts with us first. R2million??? Agents??? Paid bidorbuy??? ... :mad:

We have no idea what they are talking about. We have also tried to get hold of the spokesperson at the police station to get clarity...

We have not received any of the funds, they are definitely not "agents" of bidorbuy, and we definitely have not been defrauded of R2m...

Vagito

I have to disagree with the administrator. BoB has done almost nothing for the buyers in this case, only when their name started being mentioned they came in to save face!!! very poor service.

i sent a mail regarding this issue before coming to the forum and finding out the sad thruth and i received a bullshit answer!! i replied to them and up to now i dont have an answer.

im an international buyer, for me travelling to South Africa to register a claim on this december when you get 5 hour long ques at the border is mad impossible. i will try the south african embassy but i doubt they will be able to assist.

bob should in the name of all buyers who got ripped or express their wish to, submmit a collective claim giving our details and the specific ammounts.

by the way i got a mail from shooters account asking me to call them on the 87 number. i will not waste more of my money on this.

heres the mail i sent bob before finding this forum:

"Good afternoon. Is this a generic answer for all the problems? It seems that you either did not do your homework or did not want me to know the truth. Cause browsing your forums i found ou that the seller has been arrested for defrauding other members. One information u could have given me but chose not to or didnt really care to. This is very bad business practice. What are your responsibilities as a company in such a case? I may have "only" been defrauded of R1050 but is my money and i want it back. On the 16 page forum thread a member posted a few questions that instead of answering u chose to close the thread. Poor, very poor. Anyway, seeing that im in Mozambique i will on monday contact the south african embassy to press charges against the seller. Please make changes to your practice so that the buyer becomes protected instead of you getting comission while the buyer gets ripped off!!

Solanche Schoeman, bidorbuy Customer Support wrote:

> Dear Client,

>

> Thank you for your enquiry.

>

> We recommend that you attempt to contact the seller again (via email and telephonically), should you not get a response or the seller continues to avoid you, we suggest you contact the SAPS to open a case of theft under false pretences against the seller, we will then assist the police with the investigation. The investigating officer can contact our security team on 0861 88 0861 or 011 367 0000 for further assistance, or email communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za [ bidorbuy - Bid, Buy or Sell cameras, computers, diamonds, coins, cars & more on auction at cheap prices ]. Please note, due to our privacy policy we can only give out the user's registration details to the police or upon receiving a subpoena, we cannot give this information directly to you.

>

> We at bidorbuy recommend that you familiarise yourself with our safety tips for trading online here - Help - A to Z Index [ Help - A to Z Index ] .

>

> For more information view all our help at [ bidorbuy.co.za Help Main ]

>

>

> Kind regards

>

> Solanche Schoeman

>

> E - hello@bidorbuy.co.za

> T - 0861 88 0861

> W - bidorbuy - Bid, Buy or Sell cameras, computers, diamonds, coins, cars & more on auction at cheap prices

>

> bidorbuy - Africa's Largest Online Marketplace

>

> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:10:21 +0200, aderitomazive@yahoo.com wrote:

>> UserId: -1

>> User Alias: vagito

>>

>> Other User's Alias: shooters

>>

>> Item No (if applicable):

>>

>> Message:

>> good mornin on the 22nd of last month i won h bid for a tht 6100 telfunken home theater. on the 24th using the sellers instructions i made the payment. afterwards as you can confirm by viewing all comments i made i contacted the seller in order to have a bigger picture of the item as the one on display here on the site is too small and 2 find out when i would receive it. after the debate on questions and answers on an item being sold by shooters i was told i would receive the info i asked for. up to now nothing was done. on one mail the seller wrote that the shipping takes 10 to 15 days. the 15 dys are already gone and i hve no answer fom the seller to my mails. the phone numbe i have is turned off and has a message in afrikaans wich i don't understand. is there anything you can do to speed up this process of delivey? the home theae is intended to be a x mas present/surprise t to my fiance as she'sc complaining that we haven yet bought one for our new

house.

>>

>> i would love to have a reply from he selle but from the past few days i had none, sorry for my ranting but im tired of waiting.

>>

>> kind regards

>>

>> Adérito Mazive

>>

>>

>> If you have feedback or need help please contact us here

>> Contact Us Wizard

>>

>> bidorbuy - Bid, Buy or Sell cameras, computers, diamonds, coins, cars & more on auction at cheap prices

>> South Africa's Largest Online Marketplace"

>

it would have been far easier if in your mail you had just explained me what was going on.

ADDED: BY THE WAY I DO BELIEVE THAT BOB WASNT RIPPED OFF R2 MILLION. IT WAS US, THE BUYERS WHO GOT RIPPED OF ALMOST THAT AMMOUNT!!! BOB WISE UP OR LOOSE BUSINESS. I WILL THINK 10 TIMES BEFORE BUYING AGAIN.

Morne b

Hi Bargain Bin

Please be advised that users automatically receives an email once a seller has been blacklisted and not to make payment however some users still make payment to the seller if they mail them directly.

The shooters case was not originally confirmed as a scam as the seller was still in contact with BoB and some buyers and promising to send the items or refund and once the communication stopped and we and could not get hold of the seller we then started advising users to start opening cases against the seller.

Regarding the detailed email on what to do I have been advising you and everybody else on the forum that this will be done after my meeting with the IO on Monday.

I understand that everybody is upset and I would be as well if I had to loose this type of money but please understand that I need to first find out what the IO requires from me and the buyers be I send out request for documents and a day later have to request another set of documents.

Therefore I cannot give you more until I know what the SAPS IO requires.

As I have stated before this is indeed unfortunate situation and I sympathise with everybody who may have lost money but would rather request that we work together to solve the case then instead on playing the blame game.

Vagito

Morne, what we are saying is that BoB should have been proactive. check my case, when i wrote you, she was already in jail, yet you guys didnt bother to tell me that, even knowing that im not in SA you still told me to go to my local police office!! email the buyers communicating what happened and tell them to wait for further instructions/advise.

Dave96

Advising buyers???

Hallo Morne,

I refer your earlier post advising that all relevant buyers get notified of a sellers blacklisting......well at the time of "shooters" blacklisting I still had 3 purchases not yet rated, (but paid for), and I am still awaiting my notification of the blacklisting.

Regards,

Dave96

Morne b

Hi

Please be advised we could not confirm that the user was arrest because this was coming from other users and not SAPS.

Vagito yet again please look at my previous post I cannot give you further instructions/ advise unless I know what the IO wants me to say or do.

Dave96 please could you supply me with your Case number and station it was open so I may contact the investigating officer once I have an update from Heidelberg.

SProducts

I bought from them while they still had stock, spent more than R2500.00.

This is not affecting the buyers who've been scammed or Bidorbuy. It affects all other Bidorbuy users as we also stand to loose a lot of potential buyers and especially new buyers would run away after reading all these stories.

Have all of the victims been notified of what's going on and what they need to do? I see that "shooters" is still getting feedback from buyers that seem to be totally in the dark about this scam. For example yesterday "Yachty" left a neutral saying " Sorry to hear about your problem, no worries will await my refund." and "denco" left a neg saying "'I've paid but nothing was received, she has not responded to any e-mails. bob please help!"

If people are still buying into shooter's story of the robbery and aren't aware of the extent of this scam they are not going to be filing charges against her.

I'm sorry for posting this here (since I'm not a victim) but I think it's an important question.

Just my 2c worth, I know Bidorbuy has sent the blacklist emails, cant you guys send a more specific email about this issue, like inform buyers to open cases and also update them these people have been arrested or whatever the truth is.

Maybe even call each user and inform them or send sms or something like that. Some people dont take the time to read an email thoroughly.

Sipho

BumbleBee

I didn't get any sort of 'blacklisted' email from anybody :confused:

RoodeJ
Hi Bargain Bin

Please be advised that users automatically receives an email once a seller has been blacklisted and not to make payment however some users still make payment to the seller if they mail them directly.

LMAO !!!!! What blacklist email??? I bought 7 items from shooters and recieved no blacklist email at all. And don;t tell me that it might be in my "spam" folder. I have checked that also.

Morne, please do not post BS like "automated blacklist notification mails". I have some unrated (paid for) purchases with shooters but up to now have not recieved ANY information at all form Bob regarding this. All I know was what I was reading in the forum thread.

NO BLACKLIST EMAIL WAS RECIEVED AT ALL!

Anyway, please post results of your meeting with SAPS of Monday in this thread and do not make use of your automated email system as clearly that does not work.

Bargain Bin
Hi Bargain Bin

The shooters case was not originally confirmed as a scam as the seller was still in contact with BoB and some buyers and promising to send the items or refund and once the communication stopped and we and could not get hold of the seller we then started advising users to start opening cases against the seller.

Regarding the detailed email on what to do I have been advising you and everybody else on the forum that this will be done after my meeting with the IO on Monday.

I understand that everybody is upset and I would be as well if I had to loose this type of money but please understand that I need to first find out what the IO requires from me and the buyers be I send out request for documents and a day later have to request another set of documents.

Therefore I cannot give you more until I know what the SAPS IO requires.

As I have stated before this is indeed unfortunate situation and I sympathise with everybody who may have lost money but would rather request that we work together to solve the case then instead on playing the blame game.

Hi Morne

Like I indicated in my previous post this is not about playing the blame game but to try and improve the system. In this instance no mail about the blacklisting of shooters was send in other word the "system" or BoB's "policies" failed and we as the buyers are paying the price for that failure.

I would stick my neck out and say about 80% of BoB users don't even know about this forum yet this is your chosen method of communicating procedures and advice on how to deal with this disaster. I personally find that totally unacceptable.

This was said by Cuan earlier in this thread:"Quite frankly Dave it's not about having the "balls", but about what needs to be done in these circumstances, the procedures that need to be followed, that results in an arrest and conviction."

So start doing what needs to be done!!!

A good starting point would be to verify if the blacklisting notification was in fact send and if not to get it done ASAP.I KNOW this is what is suppose to happen but did it happen and if not, why not? I certainly did not receive any such notification...(If someone on this forum did receive the notification please let us know)

Also inform us (those who actually lost money and not just potential fees) about these procedures that needs to be followed that will result in an arrest and conviction. PLEASE NOTE, I’m not referring to those of us here on the forum but all those poor sots still sitting and waiting for their big bargain to be delivered. Keep those affected in the loop on what is happening, I don't think that is too much to ask.

This whole thing is causing major damage to BoB's reputation and it will affect each and every person selling on this site. Like it or not we are all in this together but we are looking at Bid or Buy for leadership as for most of us this is our first encounter with people like these.

SO PLEASE START LEADING AND NOT JUST REACTING!!!!!

admin

Hi All,

I believe that the automated email that goes out when a seller is blacklisted, only goes out to buyers that did not already complete the transaction. Morne or Cuan can set us straight about that.

As for what steps to take next, to be fair, Morne already twice posted that he will be seeing the Investigating Officer in Heidelberg on Monday and can only then advise everyone what the plan of action is to proceed.

lilythepink

Hi Morne - I just want to wish you all of the best for your trip to the Heidelberg SAPS tomorrow. My suggestion is that you print out this entire thread and take the emails to the thief so she has something to read whilst she's being held. And, please, insist that the IO requests very high bail (at least One Million Rand) so she can't just cough up a paltry bail amount and then manage to escape the law. I look forward to hearing further from you on the Forum. :(

GOLFX

Hi Morne, Please add my neme to list of people who paid and never recieved goods. I had a phone call a few moments ago from Sarel ?? who says all will be sorted out tomorrow nad he is in the process of selling his car to pay people back.

lilythepink

And I wonder what sort of car "Sarel" has? Is it one he's bought with all the money scammed from Bid or Buyers? Keep us updated, Golfx, but I think it's going to be nothing short of a miracle for him to make enough from the sale of his car to refund all who have been scammed!

I think you need to get this message through to Morne on communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za as soon as you possibly can. Perhaps even telephone Bid or Buy on 0861 880 861. Good luck. :(

LDT33
Hi Morne, Please add my neme to list of people who paid and never recieved goods. I had a phone call a few moments ago from Sarel ?? who says all will be sorted out tomorrow nad he is in the process of selling his car to pay people back.

Well it seems we have quite the liar at work here; 3 names being used? "Sakkie, Attie and now Sarel"?! Selling his secondhand BMW to pay us back... yeah right.

BumbleBee

Just a quick thought, I will gladly donate the R1700 (If I get it back) I lost to seeing that justice is done and these lying bastards are put behind bars where they belong!

LDT33

My Case Number

Hi there

For what it is worth... here is my case number: BREDASDORP 41/12/2009. I really hope the bail hearing tomorrow doesn't go in their favour! At this moment in time I wish I lived closer so I can be there tomorrow; but maybe it is a good thing I'm not....

Really hope we get some feedback tomorrow as it is SOOO frustrating being in the "dark", not knowing what is happening or who to contact to get some info. If anyone gets any info please let us know.

Thanks!

admin

Hi GOLFX,

Did you lay a charge of "sale under false pretences" at your local SAPS yet ? If you did please supply Morne with your case number and ask the Investigating Officer to contact Morne at bidorbuy. if you did not, please do as bidorbuy can not do it on your behalf.

Morne will update everyone tomorrow as soon as he spoke to the Investigating Officer in Heidelberg.

Thank you

Morne b

Hi lilythepink

Thanks, I will be printing out the treat later and I am currently busy with my statement. This will be given to the IO in the morning when we meet and then both of us will attend the bail hearing.

They would most probably require a affidavit from each user stating that they bought and have made payment and have not received any goods. but most important would be include that buyers received calls to withdraw there cases. But again I can only confirm this after my meeting.

LDT33
Hi lilythepink

Thanks, I will be printing out the treat later and I am currently busy with my statement. This will be given to the IO in the morning when we meet and then both of us will attend the bail hearing.

They would most probably require a affidavit from each user stating that they bought and have made payment and have not received any goods. but most important would be include that buyers received calls to withdraw there cases. But again I can only confirm this after my meeting.

Hi Morne

When I went to my local Police station to lay a charge I gave them copies of ALL correspondence between Lizelle and myself and all other info relating to the purchase, even screenshots of the actual advert after winning the bid etc. Also a printout of the payment confirmation and all other relevant documents so it is in my file. Immediately after I received a call from "Attie" to please withdraw my case so the bank account can be un-frozen (for lack of better word?) I phoned my investigating officer and informed him of the call and what was said etc. just so they know about it.

I really hope they don't make bail!

admin

Maybe they can add witness tampering to the charge sheet with all these calls ?

cheetah11

Just a word to all your buyers that lost money in this case with Shooters.

My heart goes out to your guys and i pray for each one of you.

I know it is hard times we live in and nobody can afford to lose this kind of money.

*** bless you all and be strong and positive :) Much love