Sign in to follow this  
robmac1

Stamp worth R100 sells for R70000 on cover

robmac1

To all fellow dealers and collectors,

A stamp that is worth very little can, if used on a non philatelic cover to pay a correct rate, produce an outstanding auction result internationally. I collect Italy and USA and have marveled at this current trend. Please don’t dismiss any modern postal history as worthless. Recently a USA 1960s plain brown envelope cover with a single $5 liberty series stamp paying the correct rate sold for in excess of R70000. It is extremely rare to find this stamp on its own paying the correct rate but some dealers would not know this and sell it for R100.

Interest in modern postal history is increasing, in part due to an aging sector of the stamp collecting population who are nostalgic for their youth in the 1940s/ 1950s/ 1960s.  They are collecting postal history from this period because a cover ‘tells a story’ and these covers and stories make for excellent exhibit material. Stories around routes (particularly World War II) and rates. 

A few years ago I bought an mailing tube from the 1950s which had a 19 cent USA stamp on it. The mailing tube still contained a baby bottle which had presumably been mailed to someone as a free sample.  I bought it for a few dollars and sold it for a few hundred dollars. That particular 19 cent stamp used to pay a correct rate and used solo on cover (or mailing tube) is very rare. 

Any of you had similar experiences with modern postal history?

robmac1

I am convinced that there are a few of these holy grail type modern postal history items languishing in bargain boxes or bottom drawers throughout South Africa.  I don’t have the energy to actively  pursue them but If you have any USA or Italy material that you think may be interesting or possibly valuable in the international market I will gladly share some of my limited knowledge.