Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
EWAAN Galleries

Bitcoins Listed in Numismatics - Is Bitcoin taking over?

Recommended Posts

EWAAN Galleries

@admin I'm noticing many cryptocurrency in the Numismatic Section - Are we merging the 2? Or a separate category for Crypto Coins and separate for Numismatics?

 

I think it should be combined as Crypto is the Future of Worldwide Coinage in modern times...or maybe a new section for Crypto Coins?

 

See this listed in the Numismatic Category:

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/314217382/0_002_Bitcoin.html

 

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/313516809/Buy_0_1_BitCoin_Sent_directly_to_your_BitCoin_Wallet_NO_EXTRA_FEES_or_make_me_an_offer.html

 

 

Edited by EWAAN Galleries

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EWAAN Galleries

Could we kindly have our own crypto currency section for selling and a separate forum also as Numismatic market is too small for bitcoin or anything for that matter. With so many thousands new coins created etc we will need a separate section for sure as it will be huge...

Market cap now at $274b, making it bigger than Coca-Cola, Citi and Oracle

See this:

http://m.gulfnews.com/business/sectors/markets/another-day-another-record-for-bitcoin-1.2137214

Please bid or buy make us proud and let's have a new Cryptocurrency category here....

Edited by EWAAN Galleries

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jwither

Cryptocurrency is in a mania.  The blockchain is legitimate but the price action is manic from rampant speculation and the prices of most of these "coins" will ultimately collapse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EWAAN Galleries
5 hours ago, jwither said:

Cryptocurrency is in a mania.  The blockchain is legitimate but the price action is manic from rampant speculation and the prices of most of these "coins" will ultimately collapse.

Agreed - Many will collapse and become worthless....

Too many ICO's these days - Most are concepts with no actual use case as yet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pierre_Henri

Can we PLEASE keep this a numismatic forum and discuss Bitcoin on the Business Opportunity Forum as Andries suggested.

Please Ewaan -  discussions about Cryptocurrency do not belong on this numismatic forum 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EWAAN Galleries

Hi Pierre

 

Maybe you don't like Cryptocurrency but others do - you cannot have full control of this forum and this whole Forum run by your rules? Is this fair? Why are you threatened by one thread when you have many others? Please let others do what they want and if you don't like this topic please just ignore and don't read it...

Why are you allowed to open a thread about Numismatics and Bitcoin and I'm not allowed to? Please let this be an open forum with nobody in control :)

 

https://news.bitcoin.com/10-biggest-lies-told-bitcoin/?utm_source=OneSignal Push&utm_medium=notification&utm_campaign=Push Notifications

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EWAAN Galleries

Bid or Buy must be fair - one person cannot be in full control of this forum  - its open to all - if don't like something then ignore it - the forum belongs to us all :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pierre_Henri

Can we PLEASE keep this a numismatic forum and discuss Bitcoin on the Business Opportunity Forum as Andries suggested.

Please Ewaan -  discussions about Cryptocurrency do not belong on this numismatic forum 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EWAAN Galleries
1 minute ago, Pierre_Henri said:

Can we PLEASE keep this a numismatic forum and discuss Bitcoin on the Business Opportunity Forum as Andries suggested.

Please Ewaan -  discussions about Cryptocurrency do not belong on this numismatic forum 

Cryptocurrency is listed in Numismatic section - we just comparing - why getting all worked up pal :)

 

Relax - Let the Investors, Collectors etc decide for themselves... Are you a coin dealer or collector? And you claimed in another post that Numismatics is best Investment ever - then why are you selling so many coins weekly? 

 

Please relax and let others voice their own opinions - and ignore this if don't like it :)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EWAAN Galleries

Amazing Pierre  - when you wanted Scott Balson off this forum and I was debating other topics with him  - YOU SENT ME WHATSAPP MESSAGES SAYING YOU BACKING ME AND ALL YOU COLLECTORS ARE WITH ME - Now because we don't agree on Bitcoin you want me off this forum - Be fair - Let all voice their opinions - not one group or person in charge?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pierre_Henri

Nobody wants you off the forum Ewaan and you are obviously entitled in a free country to voice your opinion.

I was referring to the moderator of this forum that moved the previous topic regarding Bitcoin to be be discussed on the Business Opportunities Forum 

Here it is ...

https://forums.bidorbuy.co.za/forum/39-business-opportunities/

THAT is the correct forum for Bitcoin discussions and NOT the Numismatic forum

Bitcoin has NOTHING to do with numismatics and EVERYTHING to to with Business Opportunities. 

My personal feeling about Bitcoin has nothing to do with the subject - if you wish to discuss it it is your right, - all I am saying is that it be done on the correct forum - and the Numismatic forum is not that forum.

The correct forum is the Business Opportunities Forum - the forum where the BidorBuy Administrator moved the previous Bitcoin-discussion  
 

Edited by Pierre_Henri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EWAAN Galleries
7 minutes ago, Pierre_Henri said:

Nobody wants you off the forum Ewaan and you are obviously entitled in a free country to voice your opinion.

I was referring to the moderator of this forum that moved the previous topic regarding Bitcoin to be be discussed on the Business Opportunities Forum 

Here it is ...

https://forums.bidorbuy.co.za/forum/39-business-opportunities/

THAT is the correct forum for Bitcoin discussions and NOT the Numismatic forum

Bitcoin has NOTHING to do with numismatics and EVERYTHING to to with Business Opportunities. 

My personal feeling about Bitcoin has nothing to do with the subject - if you wish to discuss it it is your right, - all I am saying is that it be done on the correct forum - and the Numismatic forum is not that forum.

The correct forum is the Business Opportunities Forum - the forum where the BidorBuy Administrator moved the previous Bitcoin-discussion  
 

If bitcoins are allowed to be listed in Numismatic Section then it also belongs in this forum pal :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Klee

I mean no disrespect to you Ewaan,  but I also think that this is the incorrect forum for Bitcoins. Numismatics is defined as " the study or collection of currency, including coins, tokens, paper money, and related objects". I cannot see that Bitcoins are objects. Logically, if we are going to talk about Bitcoins in this forum, then we should also be discussing Sanlam shares, copper futures, etc. Bitcoins is an interesting topic, but I do feel that this is the wrong forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EWAAN Galleries
3 hours ago, Mike Klee said:

I mean no disrespect to you Ewaan,  but I also think that this is the incorrect forum for Bitcoins. Numismatics is defined as " the study or collection of currency, including coins, tokens, paper money, and related objects". I cannot see that Bitcoins are objects. Logically, if we are going to talk about Bitcoins in this forum, then we should also be discussing Sanlam shares, copper futures, etc. Bitcoins is an interesting topic, but I do feel that this is the wrong forum.

Okay but then bid or buy allows for bitcoin and other crypto to be listed In the numismatic category. Then all these listings should be moved and maybe a new category for Cryptocurrency? This is fair 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EWAAN Galleries

So If someone else started a thread to compare Numismatic over stocks or shares and proves that Numismatic coins was better investment - then none here will have issue as long as Numismatic is never run down ever? So we must lie to others saying it's the best investment when it actually is not a good investment at all? So what makes us different to Sa Coin, SA Gold coin? They advertise Mandela coins and here on this forum others want to market  zar and unions?? Please let the readers decide for themselves and not one person ruling and controlling this whole forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Klee

As a pure numismatist, I must state for the record that I am not interested in coins as an investment. It would be nice if I could recoup my money back on what I have spent on these beautiful objects, but I am not too fazed if I don't - and many of the coins purchased in the boom times have actually gone down in value. This actually doesn't worry me in the least as, again, they were never purchased as an investment in the first place but merely as a desire to possess something which I really like.

Actually, I suppose that it was wrong of me to say that bitcoins shouldn't be listed in the numismatic category because, unlike metallic coins, all you can really say about bitcoins is that at the moment they are a good investment and their value is soaring. Whether they keep going up in value or whatever, one would think that it would be a topic of limited scope to discuss.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcdoberman

Hi there fellow Numismatists

I completely agree with Mr Klee, I for one go as far as opening coins bought in their sacred NGC holders to complete sets for which I have had custom box sets made.

Numismatics is a hobby , and sometimes a expensive one. 

I have also purchase sports cars and yachts and believe me I never entertained the thought of making money on any of these hobbies. 

Regards

Des

 

Edited by dcdoberman
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
admin

Hi All,

It was brought to my attention that Bitcoin is seen as a currency and therefore will be allowed to be listed in the Coins & Notes category on the main site as well as that discussions will be allowed here regarding Bitcoin. They will be making some changes to the Coins & Notes category to cater to this in the future.

Until the changes are made, please respect each others opinions aired in the forums and please follow the forum posting rules.

Thank you for your understanding and co-operation in this regard.

Andries

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pierre_Henri
18 minutes ago, dcdoberman said:

Hi there fellow Numismatists

I completely agree with Mr Klee, I for one go as far as opening coins bought in their sacred NGC holders to complete sets for which I have had custom box sets made.

Numismatics is a hobby , and sometimes a expensive one. 

I have also purchase sports cars and yachts and believe me I never entertained the thought of making money on any of these hobbies. 

Regards

Des

 

Exactly - the reselling value of the coin is irrelevant 

The "value" of the coin is irrelevant

One buys a coin and add it to your collection because you are a COIN COLLECTOR

If one buys coins as an INVESTMENT you will probably burn your fingers horribly ...

NEVER do that - NEVER buy coins to make money or think that it will make you rich

Coins are for collectors and not for get-rich-quickers

How difficult is that to grasp?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EWAAN Galleries
10 hours ago, Pierre_Henri said:

Exactly - the reselling value of the coin is irrelevant 

The "value" of the coin is irrelevant

One buys a coin and add it to your collection because you are a COIN COLLECTOR

If one buys coins as an INVESTMENT you will probably burn your fingers horribly ...

NEVER do that - NEVER buy coins to make money or think that it will make you rich

Coins are for collectors and not for get-rich-quickers

How difficult is that to grasp?

Amazing as you say on another posting  - Numismatics is Best INVESTMENT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EWAAN Galleries

See the term 'investing' and 'investment'  being used:

 

 

When I started coin collecting as a boy in the 1970s, the only option was to get coins for my collection from local dealers in Cape Town (as an example).

In those years, there were only about 3 of 4 dealers whom one could physically visit and look at their stock.

There was hardly any other option procuring coins for your collection then.

Today there are hundreds of coin dealers who sell via the internet (e.g. BidorBuy) and the numismatic trade community has enlarged hundredfold if not more.

Any person who has found an 1898 ZAR Paul Kruger Penny in his grandfather’s cupboard can now be called a coin dealer and is rightfully one

A couple of years ago, that would have been quite impossible.

So coin prices have dropped drastically due to so many new “dealers” entering the market and countering that – there was probably only a marginal rise in collectors.

But, make no mistake - the numbers of coins available as true rarities (rare coins) are still the same and even with a modest rise in the numbers of collectors, the value of truly rare coins will keep on rising as the years progress.

I have no doubt of that – investing in true numismatic rarities have outshine any other investment option that I have been following in the last 20 years.

 Pierre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EWAAN Galleries

Also then if a collector chooses the Mandela R5 coins - then this is his wish and the price does not matter at all whether it drops or goes up makes no difference right?

 

Why are all so against the Mandela R5 as its part of Numismatics in South Africa?

Any collector wants to make a profit on his collection obviously - we all know this :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Klee
28 minutes ago, EWAAN Galleries said:

Also then if a collector chooses the Mandela R5 coins - then this is his wish and the price does not matter at all whether it drops or goes up makes no difference right?

 

Why are all so against the Mandela R5 as its part of Numismatics in South Africa?

Any collector wants to make a profit on his collection obviously - we all know this :)

 

I will reply to the last part of your quote first by saying that this is not correct: I for one do not mind if I make a loss. It is the privilege of (temporarily) being the custodian of something beautiful and historical that drives me and, I suspect , many other numismatists.

Re Mandela R5 coins, these have carved themselves a place in notoriety in South African numismatics simply because so many people believed that the R5 coin they had was worth multiples of R5 and refused to believe that the true worth was only R5. Secondly, my perception is that large quantities of slabbed Mandela R5 coins were sold to the public at what can only be described as ridiculous prices, with the buyers believing that they would make a fortune on their "investment". This was never to be. There are thus many Mandela R5 coin owners out there whose only experience of numismatics has been a very bad and expensive one.

The bottom line is that numismatics is about collecting coins,  for whatever reason people collect things.  If one is a purist, whether these collected coins make a profit or a loss doesn't matter one iota to people such as myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×