Sign in to follow this  
GROOVIE MOVIES

Gold reef city Griqua medals for the NNS

GROOVIE MOVIES

Good day all

Does anybody have any information on a 5 pence Griqua medal struck in copper by Gold reef city for the NNS? From what I read, they were handed out at a Numismatic Society dinner in a set containing 10d and 5d struck in silver and 1/2d & 1/4d struck in copper.

However I haven't come across any information on a 5d struck in copper. The medal doesn't bare the GRC to NNS mint mark that I've seen in other photos of the set. 

Could this specific piece be a trial or pattern strike?

regards Robert

Griqua 5pence commemorative medal.jpg

Pierre_Henri

The meeting was held on 5 March 2016.

There were about 200 people attending and the following three tokens were handed to the guests - the copper Griqua IIIII piece was one of them

image.thumb.png.37ca046e5046d38d74234c3c24a103f2.png

For interest sake, the R5 token shown above on the left hand side, is a chocolate piece wrapped in foil -- I had it (softly) stamped on the coin press that was doing all the hard work that night!

The piece is unique - Am I rich? (wink-wink)

Regards

Pierre

GROOVIE MOVIES

Thanks for that info Pierre. I was hoping I'd strike it lucky by coming across a pattern. Not that I noticed it was 11111 when I first came across it. It was one of those things I only noticed after (nice surprise)... Ironically the chocolate in your photo caught my eye at first glance!

regards Robert

Pierre_Henri

I think there was also a Griqua four-piece proof coin-set offered by the SA Mint that included a Gold and Silver coin, but I am not sure - maybe someone has more info on such a set?

Edited by Pierre_Henri