Collectors Durbanville

Help to identify item / marking on Item

Collectors Durbanville

Hi all,

I have an item which may be silver or silver plate but I can't make out the markings on the item in order to be certain of what I have here.

Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Charmaine

IMG_2592.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

Little Miss Muffet

The 90 stands for silver plate. Sterling silver is ,925.Some European markings are often 800 which a slightly lower grade of silver and plated silver would be 80 to 90

It is an interesting piece I have not come across before so I would do some research before you sell it. What are the dimensions?

Little Miss Muffet
7 minutes ago, Little Miss Muffet said:

The 90 stands for silver plate. Sterling silver is ,925.Some European markings are often 800 which a slightly lower grade of silver and plated silver would be 80 to 90

It is an interesting piece I have not come across before so I would do some research before you sell it. What are the dimensions?

I see you have the height as 22cm.Do some research on calling card stands.These were used for visitors to leave their calling cards for hosts to call upon them if they wanted to.This Victorian tradition is so interesting and the calling cards used really beautiful

Collectors Durbanville

Thank you Little Miss Muffet, We actually took the piece in to be scanned and verified. It came out to be scanning 90% throughout the piece. It is meant to have a glass inner at the top, I had assumed it to be a fruit bowl on some beautiful ornate and decorated table. Will see what more I can find out by looking into Calling card stands. Thank you again

Little Miss Muffet

I am sure that would be 90% plated silver.A calling card stand would not have a glass liner.

Stephem Welz could advise you on this item if you send them images.Their email address is

info@stephanwelzandco.co.za