Sign in to follow this  
Mike Klee

Death of Karel Schoeman

Mike Klee

It is with deep sadness that I have learnt today that the renowned historian and author Karel Schoeman has just passed away. A prolific and informed author, his one book in particular -  "The Mission at Griquatown,1801-21" - is a mine of information re the South African frontier beyond the Orange River and is of great importance to South African numismatic history.

Pierre_Henri
Posted (edited)

It is interesting that the now so famous Helm letter of 21 June 1821 that was discovered by Schoeman in the Cape archives many years ago, is to this day wrongly quoted ...

(I now call the letter the "trap-letter" as the wording for some or other reason (nonsense actually) was intentionally spelled wrong on a foreign website to catch plagiary) 

Even Schoeman was caught - hopefully the trap was not set for him also!

Here is the exact wording as recorded today at the Cape Archives in Cape Town by a local numismatic researcher (The Steward report underwrites this but I have missed it in her report)

“The greatest part of the Griqua money is still our Society’s property by which Br Anderson when leaving delivered to my care. As Br Campbell thought that Br Anderson had disposed the silver pieces at too cheap a rate I asked him to let me know the real value of a piece of each sort (Schoeman missed these words for some or other reason) which he promised to do, but I have as yet received no answer (not "account") and it is therefore still in my possession. I would be glad if you Dear Sir would have the goodness to inform me what I am to do with it.”

Some other interesting info relating to the Griqua coinage debate was also found today at the Cape archives by a brilliant local researcher  - but we will save it for another day- stay tuned...

Regards

Pierre

Edited by Pierre_Henri