Sign in to follow this  
Mike Klee

1815-1816 GQT coins modern day presence in Griquatown

Mike Klee

I was under the impression that no 1815-1816 Griquatown coins had ever been found in Griquatown itself. Not so. I would suggest that one looks at the Youtube video at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeH_SRRWhSg

It is made abundantly clear that the interviewer is continually putting words in the mouths of each of the 2 people being interviewed in an attempt to support his personal opinions. Unfortunately for the interviewer, it is revealed that GQT coins were/are indeed kept by the Griqua and that these coins were/are in both silver and copper . At the time of the interview (2011), it is also apparent that the Griqua at Griquatown most certainly valued their privacy and - after 200 years - regarded the GQT coinage in their possession as items of value which they were not inclined to go around boasting about.

Lastly, to write that "the Griqua chief at Griquatown, Nicholas Waterboer, confirms the tokens never circulated" is nothing less than a distortion. Nicholas Waterboer never offered up this information of his own accord and, 200 years after the event, would not be in a position to declare whether they circulated or not.

Pierre_Henri

Six years ago in 2011, on this very forum, and long before the truth finally got out, I responded to these videos (there were actually two) as follows

I have seldom seen anything worse than these two shocking videos ...

The two interviewees have been saying exactly what you did NOT WANT TO HEAR and then you gently coach them back into repeating whatever you want to hear.

You told the Waterboer descendant that the tokens were gifts more than anything with a question mark thrown in as an afterthought. What on earth did you expect him to answer being born 130 years AFTER the mintage of these issues? And on camera with his back against a wall answering a foreigner who actually are feeding him the answers?

I am now more than ever convinced about the Griqua tokens and their history - the one the two interviewees were trying hard to tell you but you did not what to hear.

Pierre

Pierre_Henri

I also responded to these videos in my Griqua paper a while ago as follows 

This is so absurd one can hardly respond. Did the Griqua elders have any knowledge of the rix-dollars and skillings notes that circulating there 200 years ago? What did the elders in 2006 and 2007 know about the money that was paid as missionary contributions in 1820 at Griquatown? Or of Waterboer’s great great etc. grandfather’s salary that was paid in money two centuries ago?