AndreTrollip

Excluding Dropshippers from search

Guest MacMuffin

Could users please answer a quick poll here: 

ER001

Is there a time-frame for implementation of this feature?

ER001

I want to add that these people who claim they aren't drop-shippers because they ship directly from their warehouse to the client - even though they fulfill many orders from suppliers abroad and don't keep stock - are the worst kind.  I despise them more than dropshippers.  On the one hand they offer local shipping rates... fine... but then they absolve themselves of keeping stock or keeping the public informed of stock and delivery times by basically saying "we might have stock..." why don't you order and see?  I asked the 'Do you have local stock' question of one and it took days before the reply came through.  I wrote them off as a result and won't buy from them anymore.

Because of this, I am writing a browser plugin that allows you to blacklist sellers so that you never have to see their results in your searches.  No doubt it won't be sanctioned by BoB, but it's become necessary for me to use the site.  Would BoB have an issue if I advertised it in here?  It will do nothing more than exclude sellers from results, it won't redirect to any third party sites or advertise external content or anything such - simply enhance the search function of the site.

Before you say 'there is an advanced search feature to allow you to exclude or include sellers', that feature is as useful as an ice-cream toaster... it's hard to use and never remembers stuff.  I'd like to maintain my own list of blocked sellers that are permanently applied - people I have had bad experiences with or people who sell from abroad or don't keep local stock (or any other reason you might have).

Guest MacMuffin
33 minutes ago, ER001 said:

I want to add that these people who claim they aren't drop-shippers because they ship directly from their warehouse to the client - even though they fulfill many orders from suppliers abroad and don't keep stock - are the worst kind.  I despise them more than dropshippers.  On the one hand they offer local shipping rates... fine... but then they absolve themselves of keeping stock or keeping the public informed of stock and delivery times by basically saying "we might have stock..." why don't you order and see?  I asked the 'Do you have local stock' question of one and it took days before the reply came through.  I wrote them off as a result and won't buy from them anymore.

Because of this, I am writing a browser plugin that allows you to blacklist sellers so that you never have to see their results in your searches.  No doubt it won't be sanctioned by BoB, but it's become necessary for me to use the site.  Would BoB have an issue if I advertised it in here?  It will do nothing more than exclude sellers from results, it won't redirect to any third party sites or advertise external content or anything such - simply enhance the search function of the site.

Before you say 'there is an advanced search feature to allow you to exclude or include sellers', that feature is as useful as an ice-cream toaster... it's hard to use and never remembers stuff.  I'd like to maintain my own list of blocked sellers that are permanently applied - people I have had bad experiences with or people who sell from abroad or don't keep local stock (or any other reason you might have).

I suggest (if you have not already) that you report specific trades via the "Report a problem" function. If you have done this and not received a satisfactory answer, please PM me the details.

WRT to your custom plugin, I suggest that you either make it available as a Github project or as an extension (Chrome/Mozilla Appstore) and then post a separate topic in here with the topic name "Browser plugin: Exclude sellers from search". As long as it is clear that bidorbuy can not provide any support for your plugin (hence a link to Github might be good) and as long as you don't share/preconfigure your plugin with a list of sellers, you are more than happy to share it here.

I do however think it will be worthwhile to also report sellers to our Community Watch.

BTW, I managed to find your ice-cream sandwich maker (not quite a toaster, but close enough, but unfortunately not on sale on bidorbuy)

image.png.8630239be1f348bcae1b3f8161403f15.png

ER001

:4_joy::8_laughing:

That ice cream toaster lol!!!!

I always report these things via community watch.  As for satisfactory answers, I'm really not sure if the problem is that I'm complaining about something that's not considered an issue by BoB.  If the answer was clearer... like 'sellers don't have to keep stock' then it would make sense, but the response has been a bit confusing.  I'll PM you details.

Guest MacMuffin
10 hours ago, ER001 said:

:4_joy::8_laughing:

That ice cream toaster lol!!!!

I always report these things via community watch.  As for satisfactory answers, I'm really not sure if the problem is that I'm complaining about something that's not considered an issue by BoB.  If the answer was clearer... like 'sellers don't have to keep stock' then it would make sense, but the response has been a bit confusing.  I'll PM you details.

I will discuss this with our ops- and product teams. Perhaps we just need to arrive at a more appropriate/commonly agreed on terminology. I personally classify a drop-shipper as someone who (1) does not have local stock, (2) uses an overseas 3rd party to ship directly to the buyer, (3) leaves the buyer with the responsibility of import duties/fees, (4) often uses slow shipping methods where it takes more than 14 days to ship a product and (5) often do not handle returns appropriately.

When we introduced drop-shipper filters, we looked at the five aspects I described. It could very well be that some sellers fall under (1), but then have 3rd parties ship directly to them and they are responsible for duties/fees and returns. Their shipping turn-around would typically be less than 21 days depending on the nature of the product. We do however try to ensure that sellers are very specific if they drop-ship and the duties/imports are the responsibility of the buyer, that this is made very clear.

I will ask our ops team to review the information you PMed me and then revert back to you.

mrmouse

Sometimes reporting to BoB ,is useless and a waste of time ,I reported a listing last week about specific wording ,Laurence mailed me back stating that ,I must send the item purchased back to the seller ,I couldn't get him to understand it's a complaint about a listing ,eventually gave up ,

Guest MacMuffin
5 hours ago, mrmouse said:

Sometimes reporting to BoB ,is useless and a waste of time ,I reported a listing last week about specific wording ,Laurence mailed me back stating that ,I must send the item purchased back to the seller ,I couldn't get him to understand it's a complaint about a listing ,eventually gave up ,

Could you please PM me the ticket number?

mrmouse
13 hours ago, MacMuffin said:

Could you please PM me the ticket number?

Cant , says youre box is full? bug86662036

Guest MacMuffin
4 hours ago, mrmouse said:

Cant , says youre box is full? bug86662036

Thanks - I forwarded to our ops manager to have a look at it. I agree with your comment on the ticket response - it is confusing and should really be straightforward.

ER001

(1) does not have local stock, (2) uses an overseas 3rd party to ship directly to the buyer, (3) leaves the buyer with the responsibility of import duties/fees, (4) often uses slow shipping methods where it takes more than 14 days to ship a product and (5) often do not handle returns appropriately.

So all 5 or any one of the 5?

For me (and I'm sure a lot of others) the issue is having to sift through a ton of search results where suppliers don't keep stock.  That's where I stop.  Bottom line is I have no guarantee that they're able to source stock... I have to part with my money first and I'd rather just buy elsewhere.  I think the browser plugin to exclude sellers will be the only solution that would work for me.

Guest MacMuffin
11 hours ago, ER001 said:

So all 5 or any one of the 5?

For me (and I'm sure a lot of others) the issue is having to sift through a ton of search results where suppliers don't keep stock.  That's where I stop.  Bottom line is I have no guarantee that they're able to source stock... I have to part with my money first and I'd rather just buy elsewhere.  I think the browser plugin to exclude sellers will be the only solution that would work for me.

It can be a combination of the ones listed but in most cases 1 or 2 or 3 are reason enough for a seller to be in the drop-shipping filter. The problem we have is that if customers do not specifically raise the issue via community watch we would not know and will then only rely on perhaps picking this up via negative ratings.

Power House

And now the new trick is you go to local but then the seller tells you outside South Africa

Darth Penguin
13 hours ago, Power House said:

And now the new trick is you go to local but then the seller tells you outside South Africa

Do you have an example?

mrmouse

theres still a lot of sellers that havent converted listings yet , i report them regularly to get location changed , allways seems to get done fairly quickly

The World OnLine
On 2/14/2017 at 7:55 AM, Johan said:

Hi All,

As the post mentions there are more and more items that are sourced or delivered from all over the world. This would include more users than just ones that are classed as dropshippers. We are currently working on different ways in which one can meaningfully differentiate between where products originate from.

We are looking to implement something like this through the course of this year as we believe it will make a difference for buyers.

On 5/29/2017 at 4:04 PM, MacMuffin said:

Hi all,

Although it is taking longer than we thought (pure logistics behind the large number of sellers and their product feeds) we have now started to classify products based on location. This process has started this morning and we have not yet rolled out any UI filter options (but those will surface on all platforms in the next few days and weeks).

Until those UI features surface, when you are on a search or browse a category, scroll on the sidebar to "Location" and then toggle the "South Africa" filter to only show products available/shipped from within South Africa. The "International" location will show all products which are located outside of SA.

Product pages will show the "Item Location" above the "buyer protection label" and below the seller information.

As a seller listing a product you will now also have the option to specify the product location "South Africa or Kenya" vs "International" when listing a trade or bulk-uploading. If you are a tradefeed user and use one of our cart-plugins, you should ensure that your product catalog provides data in the "Location"-tag. NB: If you are a feed-/bulk-seller and you omit a Location we default it to your seller-registration location. If you generally drop-ship, we can place you in a separate shipping-category which will force the product location for all trades (or a shipping category which "soft-defaults" to an international category).

I am sure that our category-team / support staff will produce a detailed KB article on a support site once we have finalised the rollout. If you think that certain sellers should belong into a drop-shipping category, please do not post them here, but rather use the community watch feature on the product item page. Also note, that some of the current features/functionality might change as we are revisiting the placement rules.

Quick question, now that the csv upload includes the option to specify a location / origin of product, does this mean then that there is no longer any need for this list ?