Sign in to follow this  
jcriller

imports turn around times

jcriller

Hi Everyone, i am trying to find out if there is anyone on the forum that can give an indication of how long i need to wait for parcels from NGC to get through customs, i have some that has been at customs since 22 Oct.

Regards

Mike Klee

This should be interesting. My understanding is that it is illegal to export or import coins in the first place. I also know that FedEx and UPS have these on their list of items that they will not handle.

Pierre_Henri
This should be interesting. My understanding is that it is illegal to export or import coins in the first place. I also know that FedEx and UPS have these on their list of items that they will not handle.

Hi Mike

Gold coins & coin and stamp collections are restricted (not prohibited) import & export items in terms of SARS.

The main difference between prohibitions and restrictions is that -

• Prohibited goods are never allowed to enter or exit South Africa under any circumstances
  • Restricted goods are allowed to enter or exit South Africa only in certain circumstances or under certain conditions, for example on production of a permit, certificate or letter of authority from the relevant government department, institution or body.

If coins are sent or received to/from NGC through customs with the correct documentation, there is nothing unlawful about it.

Secondly, the coins are not exported as they eventually return back to SA (after grading), so anyone who wishes to dispute this will have a tough time in any court of law.