Sign in to follow this  
windrider

Rudeness from a potential seller or how to live in a banana republic

windrider

I was bidding on a decanter and glass set that the seller claimed was Venetian glass. So I asked a question if there are any identifying marks on the set to state that it's Murano glass - essentially a question to make sure if there is any proof the set is made in Italy and not some large factory in China. Considering there are so many imitations these days, it was worth being careful. The answer I received was at best condescending and it didn't actually answer my question. So I thought to clarify it (I'm not fond of condescension) and did this seller go to town.

I included the questions and answers:

Q:

Is there a mark or a certificate to signify this is murano glass?

A:

Hi windrider

I did not describe the items as Murano, but Venetian

I know that Murano is manufactured ON the island of Murano, and many Venetian Glass items are also, but these ARE Venetian and NOT Murano

Same as my FLORENTINE Vase.....also made in Italy , but NOT Murano

See the following and I hope it assists

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venetian_glass

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murano_glass

Q:

I'm aware of the difference, however my question still remains if there are any identifying marks that identify this set as being made in Venice and not in China.

A:

There are NO marks - I purchased the items from AN AUCTION in EUROPE!!

Along with a Florentine Goblet with Rubies that is from the ancient Royal Court of Spain - is that maybe sold to the Spanish Monarchy from China also??

There is no need to be condescending and angry to potential customers. I had a legitimate question as I was considering buying it as a gift and wanted to avoid any embarrassment.

Q:

There is no need to be condescending and angry to potential customers. I had a legitimate question as I was considering buying it as a gift and wanted to avoid any embarrassment

A:

And FYI.....I am not from your little banana republic and when I deal in Antiques for more Yrs than I can remember, I CAN tell the difference between a GOOD something ..... and a BAD one.

I will admit, the first answer I found condescending, but if you're trading in South Africa to South African customers insulting their country is not exactly good customer service.

So my question at the end is that do I buy from the seller as I really want the set for my Dad? How does one deal with rude sellers like that?

P.S. I'm a transplanted South African, born and lived in Europe before coming here, but that last line still raised my heckles.

ER001

Don't touch it with a venitian barge pole ;)