Sign in to follow this  
jcriller

NGC Shipwreck coins-south africa

jcriller

Can someone help me with the following, i have nowhere seen graded coins from South African shipwrecks. I have seen a few coins from wrecks like the Merestein and Joanna being listed on BOB over the years but none in graded form. The coins that were sold does not have any sort of authentication to prove the coin in hand can actually be tied to the wreck, is there any way of getting such authentication?

Mike Klee

NGC definitely grades shipwreck coins, but the condition from the environment they have been in is normally such that the resulting low grade doesn't appear to justify the expense and effort of having them slabbed. (The only graded shipwreck coins I have are 3 from the Birkenhead, but they were all graded by SACGS.)

Also - a little know fact - all these shipwreck coins are deemed to be part of South Africa's cultural heritage and one has to have a special permit from SAHRA to export such items. Thus, any South African shipwreck coin slabbed by NGC and deemed at any time in the future not to have been legally exported will automatically become fair game to be claimed back by the South African Government. In contrast, there would be sufficient doubt over the provenance of any unslabbed shipwreck coin for the SA Government to be able to successfully pursue the recovery of such a coin in an overseas court of law.