Sign in to follow this  
coinoisseur

Mint Prices - Whats Your Views

coinoisseur

Hello Everyone

What do people think of the SA Mints pricing structure for modern coins? Are many people attracted to the pricing? Naturas, Proteas, Proof Krugerrands, Commemorative Sets, Silver Rands etc... When looking at the market, a lot of coins/sets sold in the past for high amounts are being sold for far less. Is the current designs attractive enough to warrant a purchase? Why is the secondary market sometimes cheaper than the SA Mints official price. We all know that the Flypress Tickey is a hit and is always sold out, but we also notice that the mintage has increased from 300 to 400. Why is this the case?

Your views and input will be appreciated.

Cheers

I've always wondered what use buying a proof Krugerrand. When buying a normal Kruger I must first get past the dealer mark-up before I can see a profit. Paying extra for proof quality and then trying to make a profit seems to fall in the commemorative category. The silvers are even worse. I have bought a couple of these in the past and only made a bit of a profit when the market allowed it a couple of years ago. Whenever the latest mint pricelist arrive I appreciate the quality and designs, but I think these are niche coins, much the same as the uncirculated birthday sets. Like buying a Mercedes with a custom colour and mag wheels, and hoping to make your money back when you sell. I don't know if the mint can design and mint a limited run without charging a premium, but maybe they should try a cross subsidy structure to make it more attractive. Good question though, as the mint reflects our history and heritage.

Edited by Cold Sea