Sign in to follow this  
Free Soul Styles

CPA Law, Please help

Free Soul Styles

I sent a parcel overseas in May. It got to Germany and according to the track and trace it was not collected, so it was returned to me. The parcel is here and the contents still inside.

My question is, as per CPA laws in and out of SA, would i be liable to refund the buyer due to the fact that HE did not go and collect his parcel? Or if the contents were stolen upon RETURN to me? The parcel was sent within 2 days of him paying, it got to him and he never collected. It even states "unsuccessful delivery/not claimed" on the little sticker on the envelope from Germany.

Bid or Buy sent this to me, "it is the seller's responsibility to make sure the item is received and in good condition". Okay, but HOW? How can i make sure that the buyer gets his slip to collect and actually goes to his post office to collect? Or go check with the post office because X amount of time has passed?

Does anyone know what the CPA says in regards to a dilemma like this? I don't mind sending the parcel back to him, he paid for it, it's his after all. I am just curious as the rules if the parcel had been tampered with when it was returned to me.

mrmouse

Youre lucky you didnt have to pay to get it back .just refund / pass a credit it may be easier , i dont think anyone from Consumer Council will be able to assist with an overseas order query like this ,its an unusual request .or they must pay for remail .

Free Soul Styles

I decided to just send it out again. Basically my options were refund or resend at my expense. Cheaper to send it. The laws for local to overseas is grey in this regard, so i just go with Bob

mrmouse

its worth contacting the D T I for a full CPA schedule . for yourself , but its still very open to interpretation and limitations .

johan

Hi Guys,

My view on this situation is that:

The CPA would apply to transactions on bidorbuy as we state that transactions on our site will be governed under South African law.

If an item has been delivered, and if a buyer has been made aware that the item is ready for collection at their post office. It becomes the responsibility of the buyer to collect his parcel. Should that item be returned due to non collection it would not be unreasonable for the seller to charge a fee for posting the item again or if the buyer wants a refund to refund the item less the shipping.

One would have to account for variations on a case by case basis but one would normally look attribute costs to the party that caused the transaction to fail.

Free Soul Styles

Eventually i just sent it again, no fee. I had a feeling i would get a negative rating so rather just bite the cost and do it. Cheaper than refunding in dollars. He eventually got the parcel second time around.