Sign in to follow this  
Ni28

Was the 2002 R5 CW "Oom Paul" coin ever struck?

Ni28

There is a current debate amongst some collectors whether the 2002 R5 CW was ever struck. A number of prominent collectors were asked if they have a specimen and to date nobody was able to produce one (even though most seem to think they have one when initially asked). Hern lists it as Nj18 CW with a mintage of 106. This is a low mintage and will be one of the rarities of the series if it exists.

What is adding to the mystery is that I was shown a photograph of the 2002 certificates accompanying the coins, but unfortunately these particular coins are not in the possession of the owner anymore! One unsubstantiated theory is that the coins issued in 2002 where in fact 2001 coins issued with 2002 certificates. I had a look on the NGC census and it seems as if no 2002 R5 CW coin has been graded to date. If anybody has a 2002 R5 CW, please let us know and post a photograph.

Ni28

Here is a photograph of the 2002 certificates. Unfortunately it is low resolution and I will try to get a better one from the owner.

Ni28

Here is a better photograph of the certificate.

Pierre_Henri

I really have no idea, but about 3 years ago, I sold a 1998 Oom Paul R5 with Certificate of the SA Mint and a picture of the "minter" on BidorBuy.

The 1998 Oom Paul R5 coins (only 314 were struck) were prooflike and had no mintmark - so without without the certificate and picture, it has no collectors value as such

1328611_130307182810_jj03a_zps6noeyapa.jpg.